1250 gs 40th anniversary sat nav/phone set up

fergie_mjf

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm just looking to see what everyone's got as there 'cockpit' set up!! Not sure what to go with and fancy a sat nav /phone set up or possibly both. I'm not paying the money for the BMW nav as I don't think it's worth it, but could be converted if I see what others have went with. I'd love to see what yous have on you're bike and any hints or tips welcome.
Cheers Mark

With the BMW Nav you can do all that via the nav and not bother with the BMW connection. Or connect the helmet to your bike and phone to the bike and use bmw connected app. This is a long YouTube but just watch the last 15min / 2min

Sent from my backyard

I am lucky to have 3 bikes and have my phone and Cardio unit paired with my sat nav rather than the TFT. I can simply transfer the sat nav from bike to bike and have telephone/music etc connections

Although I use a BMW 6 (you can buy s/h on here a lot cheaper than new. although many have had 'issues'. I'm on my 3rd in 12 months although Garmin keep replacing them. Many people recommend the more reliable Nav 5 although it's not as good as the 6 IMHO when the 6 is working!)

If you want a new sat nav on your GS, you don't have to buy a BMW one. The Garmin XT is highly rated, it's a lot cheaper than a BMW unit and you can mount it into the BMW cradle or independently although you lose the wonder wheel facility for the sat nav (never use it anyway). Plenty of info on YouTube about this.

Mike

I've got the Garmin Zumo XT mounted in the BMW cradle as its a better satnav than the BMW Nav 6, and a Quadlock phone mount with wireless charger on the bars as I tend to use Waze for navigation if I'm just going from point A to B as quickly as possible avoiding traffic.

With the BMW Nav you can do all that via the nav and not bother with the BMW connection. Or connect the helmet to your bike and phone to the bike and use bmw connected app. This is a long YouTube but just watch the last 15min / 2min

Sent from my backyard
Thanks that's a helpful video I didn't realise you could do both separately 👌

I have a 1250 anniversary and run a Nav 6 as a simple nav (not connected) and use my phone connected to helmet for phone / music etc.

to be honest if i hadnt already the 6 I would run my phone old in the BMW cradle using the app. (only use the BMW cradle as it stops your phone breaking due to vibration - ask how i know..)

Barry

I am lucky to have 3 bikes and have my phone and Cardio unit paired with my sat nav rather than the TFT. I can simply transfer the sat nav from bike to bike and have telephone/music etc connections

Although I use a BMW 6 (you can buy s/h on here a lot cheaper than new. although many have had 'issues'. I'm on my 3rd in 12 months although Garmin keep replacing them. Many people recommend the more reliable Nav 5 although it's not as good as the 6 IMHO when the 6 is working!)

If you want a new sat nav on your GS, you don't have to buy a BMW one. The Garmin XT is highly rated, it's a lot cheaper than a BMW unit and you can mount it into the BMW cradle or independently although you lose the wonder wheel facility for the sat nav (never use it anyway). Plenty of info on YouTube about this.

Mike
The XT is getting great reviews and I think it's the option I'm going to go with. I never wanted to listen to music etc as I liked the piece and quite when out riding and not being called 😆 but have recently started using headphones and find it a real game changer!! Thanks for the reply 👍

I've got the Garmin Zumo XT mounted in the BMW cradle as its a better satnav than the BMW Nav 6, and a Quadlock phone mount with wireless charger on the bars as I tend to use Waze for navigation if I'm just going from point A to B as quickly as possible avoiding traffic.
This is what I think I'm going to go with thanks

I have just set up Garmin XT with iPhone 14 pro and Sena SRL Mesh linked to it. Works a treat. Before I had a BMW Navigator 6, but sold before it went wrong.
Don't miss the wizzie wheel connection at all as I never used it.

I actually used the whizz wheel but it isn't a deal killer.
As Mike R said to use just the NAV if more than one bike so I also did that when on a different bikes as I had two helmets / comms systems.
I'm on the very first Nav 6 model and never gone wrong all these years.

My setup. Iphone on a Quadlock with antivibe charger. With drinks holder on a gimbal. Brings me everywhere, stay hydrated, and with downloaded offline GoogleMaps never need a connection.

IMG_2327.jpeg

There is a limit to the size of the map you can download at anytime. That's fine if you are going up the road to Tescos, Or Costas, But not good for a touring route.

You can download multiple offline maps. Never had an issue with size/capacity and have much of the southern UK, France, Germany, and Belgium GoogleMap currently loaded on my iPhone. And TBH, unless you are riding places like Kazakhstan or the Road of Bones, you will get an internet connection quite quickly.

I have no idea how you have done that?
Very interesting.
Even on Google maps info it states maximum of 1.7mb.
Well, you learn every day !
Cheers

My current set up - Tab Active3 - Ram Powered Holder and a Carpe Iter BMW controller (y)
View attachment 282181

Would you mind me being cheeky and asking for a rough cost of that setup? Only reason I ask is that Samsung Tab's are notorious for stopping receving updates and getting very slow, but these seem remarkably popular especially for this usage.

I have no idea how you have done that?
Very interesting.
Even on Google maps info it states maximum of 1.7mb.
Well, you learn every day !
Cheers

here you go: several downloaded, certainly over 1.7mb…
IMG_2642.png

Great isn't it. Not that long ago you were limited to one small box. I think there's still a limit, but its huge. Jobs a GoodN

Would you mind me being cheeky and asking for a rough cost of that setup? Only reason I ask is that Samsung Tab's are notorious for stopping receving updates and getting very slow, but these seem remarkably popular especially for this usage.
The tablet was 2nd hand from eBay and was about £200 and the RAM Mount was about £80. The Carpe Iter was a bit of a splurge at €170. A lot but the tablet is used off the bike as well as I needed a new one anyway and it means i can plan using MRA on the fly. It's great having a big screen for my ever poorer eyesight 😃

Back
Top Bottom