2013 R1200GS LC Valve Cover Oil Leak

DJ123

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On my way back home from a ride yesterday my right hand side valve cover started leaking oil, at a noticeable level it was covering the lower engine case & creating a small puddle sump guard. The LH side also appeared to be leaking, but not as much. And what i can't figure out is the front wheel also looks to have some oil splatter on the right hand side too. No idea if this is spray from the valve cover, or not?!
The front cover of the engine looks clean and dry, and the bottom of each valve cover was wet, so i am assuming they are the issue. I've removed both sides and the gasket looks in good condition, and the spark plus hole is also dry - so this o-ring must be good too. The bolts appeared to be tight/at torque spec, and the covers have not been off in the last few months/2K miles.

- Oil level has always been fine, sitting just below full when at operating temps
- Bike was working fine prior to this and was sat on the Motorway at 4K rpm
- Bike temp not breached 100 degrees, and fan always kicks in when it gets hot

A couple of questions;
- should the valve covers be replaced at a particular interval; mileage / time frame; 2 years / or number of times gasket has been removed to check valves
- is there another issue which could cause oil pressure to build in the covers and to leak - something like a blocked breather, high oil level etc.

No quick answer but plenty of questions.
Total mileage?
Ambient temp yesterday?
Any history of bike falling over?

On my way back home from a ride yesterday my right hand side valve cover started leaking oil, at a noticeable level it was covering the lower engine case & creating a small puddle sump guard. The LH side also appeared to be leaking, but not as much. And what i can't figure out is the front wheel also looks to have some oil splatter on the right hand side too. No idea if this is spray from the valve cover, or not?!
The front cover of the engine looks clean and dry, and the bottom of each valve cover was wet, so i am assuming they are the issue. I've removed both sides and the gasket looks in good condition, and the spark plus hole is also dry - so this o-ring must be good too. The bolts appeared to be tight/at torque spec, and the covers have not been off in the last few months/2K miles.

- Oil level has always been fine, sitting just below full when at operating temps
- Bike was working fine prior to this and was sat on the Motorway at 4K rpm
- Bike temp not breached 100 degrees, and fan always kicks in when it gets hot

A couple of questions;
- should the valve covers be replaced at a particular interval; mileage / time frame; 2 years / or number of times gasket has been removed to check valves
- is there another issue which could cause oil pressure to build in the covers and to leak - something like a blocked breather, high oil level etc.
How much had your oil level dropped by when you noticed this. Mileage and year may help..

No quick answer but plenty of questions.
Total mileage?
Ambient temp yesterday?
Any history of bike falling over?

- just over 52K miles now
- ambient temp wasn't high - 29 at max. Certainly saw higher temps in Europe this year when away and had no issues
- In my ownership only one gentle lay down on the RH side. No damage on either cylinder head which would show nay other previous falls. Covers/mating faces also appear to be flat and not warped

How much had your oil level dropped by when you noticed this. Mileage and year may help..

Didn't notice the oil drop until is aw the steam clouds from it dripping on the exhaust manifold. I can only judge the level based off the glass window. It fell from just below the top of the circle by about a quarter/third.

It now seems to be fine, no more leaks. Perhaps in the heat, riding vibrations etc a bolt worked a touch loose which was enough to let oil bypass. Seems a strip down and re-torque everything appears to be ok.

It now seems to be fine, no more leaks. Perhaps in the heat, riding vibrations etc a bolt worked a touch loose which was enough to let oil bypass. Seems a strip down and re-torque everything appears to be ok.
Glad that’s all it was. Bet your mighty relieved.

Time will tell if its the real deal. But i am hopeful this was a one off glitch.....

My Rallye GSA developed an oil leak from the right cylinder Valve cover. It was 3000 miles into a European trip. On inspection, It turned out to be a cable caught in the rubber seal during the last service. Bit strange it was OK for 3k miles before hand.

Back
Top Bottom