2610 City Navigator V8 & V9

mad-dawg

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As usual I was too trusting and bought a 2610 off here from what sounded like a genuine advert.
Came with City Navigator Europe V7 and 2008.
No codes supplied and when I asked for them he said he didnt have them!
Spoke to Garmin and they allowed me to register GPS and it shows CN V8 & V9 are unlocked for this device, but I dont have the disks so cant install the maps on the PC.
Disks I do have arent registered to the GPS so Garmin cant/wont give me unlock codes.
Been well and truly shafted!!
Any ideas?
Ready to chuck it all in the bin and buy a new one.

I've still got 2006 maps on mine, and have just been around the Pyrenees with it with no dramas. Sure, there were a few roads it didn't recognise but nothing drastic. Most of the roads have been around for decades, so what if your map is 4yrs old?

Personally, I think the 2610 is a cracking bit of kit so I wouldn't bin it. :thumb

I suggest that you have a look at OpenStreetMap and say goodbye to Garmin unlock shenanigans for good. You will need some 2GB CF cards which are hard to find (you might be able to use larger ones with only 2GB will be usable, I'm not sure).

The OpenStreetMap data is current, in most areas more up to date than the Garmin data and populated with Points if Interest.

You download both a mapping data image for your GPS and also an install file for your computer so you can use Mapsource and/or Basecamp. Not sure if Basecamp will work with the 2610 in respect of loading routes.

I will give yer 25 quid for it :D
Then I will go to Opendtreetmap.nl and download up to date maps and load them via my computer to the GPS

Or you can do that and get an up to date good GPS

HTHY :thumb

Thanks for the advice!
Might have a solution from Jimbo!
If not openstreetmap is next option.
Final option is stick it in the post to Mick the Spirite

Just for more info On OSM
A 512 card will get you all UK and a bit of F
A 1GB card will hold UK Spain and half france
The cards take 30 seconds to swap
Only downside would be if you wanted to route across the card limits
If yer follow
I have 2 2610s and dont need another I was only joking and trying to help yer pal :thumb

Just for more info On OSM
A 512 card will get you all UK and a bit of F
A 1GB card will hold UK Spain and half france
The cards take 30 seconds to swap
Only downside would be if you wanted to route across the card limits
If yer follow
I have 2 2610s and dont need another I was only joking and trying to help yer pal :thumb
But if yer selling for that price
Ill havit :thumb

Look here: http://www.totalblankmedia.com/fujifilm-compact-flash-card-2gb-40x-p-2348.html for 2GB compact flash cards that work in a Navigator 2 (a 2610 with a few extras) and here http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hu...downloading-installing-open-street-maps-64135 for advice regarding openstreetmap. Be aware that OSM maps take up much more storage space than Garmin ones and don't support UK postcodes, although the 2610 isn't really interested in them either. On the other hand, they're free and both Mapsource and Basecamp accept them.

Tony - I'll have a ferret about. Someone from the forum posted my a solution *cough...* to this. If I find it I'll PM you :)

Garmin

Thanks for all the advice and help, all sorted now thanks to a kind benefactor
What a fine bunch of folks on here :rob

Back
Top Bottom