BMW NAVIGATOR V LAUNCHED !

But does the new GPS have a better interface with the BMW wheel, such as access to the normal menus on the Navigator because the previous version is severely restricted?
:mad:

'Poshtosser' has kindly sent a couple of pictures of the new Navigator V
Cheers Mike :thumb

BMW Motorrad Navigator V Advanced Features

One of the many other options the Navigator V offers to the rider is PhotoNavigation; Geo-coded pictures stored in the device can be clicked on to start navigating towards that location.

The unit features a fully-fledged travel computer, a home function for fast routing to the home address and beeline off-road waypoint navigation.

The Garmin Smartphone Link is optionally available and provides a lot of useful information during the tour. The free Smartphone Link app is available from the Google Play store and the iOS app store.

After pairing the smartphone with the Navigator V, freely available contents can be called up such as basic weather as well as live services (subject to a charge) such as real-time traffic congestion information and detailed weather reports.

The Navigator V is compatible with the free Garmin BaseCamp route planning software. This can be used to easily create routes, waypoints and tracks and transfer them to the navigation device.

Thanks to the 4-button mount cradle, the waterproof and petrol-resistant housing of the Navigator V can be fixed safely to the motorcycle and easily operated, even using gloves while riding.
bmw-motorrad-navigator-5-with-mount.jpg

On the R 1200 GS and K 1600 GT / GTL models many functions can also be controlled directly using the multi-controller on the left of the handlebars.

The BMW Motorrad Navigator V is powered by an integrated and exchangeable lithium ion battery which supplies up to four hours of power. While riding, the battery is charged via the motorcycles on-board power system. It can also be charged via mini USB at the computer or using an optional charging unit.

The BMW Motorrad Navigator V is supplied with a micro USB cable, a practical carrier bag, screw driver and lifelong map updates (only applies to the Europe and North America version).

Unit dimensions: 136 x 83.4 x 24 mm
Display: 5" TFT, 800 x 480 pixels, 65,000 colors
Weight: 288 g

The Navigator V is available for € 750.00 incl. VAT in Germany..

Attachments

• photo 1c.jpg
    photo 1c.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 2,463
  • photo 2c.jpg
    photo 2c.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 810
But can you access the normal menu via the wheel or just the stupid one that BMW restricted on the previous model??????

But can you access the normal menu via the wheel or just the stupid one that BMW restricted on the previous model??????

I didn't have the previous model so don't know how restricted it was.
As you can see above Ebbo was kind enough to come to my help with the posting of the original pictures and I have also since downloaded the Tapatalk app. I will therefore do my best to take a series of screenshots for you about what is available on the mejnu and try to post them on here one way or the other!

As you can see above Ebbo was kind enough to come to my help with the posting of the original pictures and I have also since downloaded the Tapatalk app. I will therefore do my best to take a series of screenshots for you about what is available on the mejnu and try to post them on here one way or the other!

Did it survive bouncing down the road, how durable is it?

Did it survive bouncing down the road, how durable is it?

It survived remarkably well. I was only doing 20 mph or so but it did bounch off the tank and onto the road and slithered along a few yards. It has a bit of scuffing on the edge but not really noticeable as you can (or rather can't) see from the photos. It is a very solid piece of equipment and feels very well put together.

Yes, screen shot of the menu that launches when you click the wheel would be interesting. Also found the wheel zooming to be rather useless, having to click and hold for each zoom level each time. Would have been much better to make the zoom function in and out just turning the wheel.

Christ it's enormous. It looks like a tablet/ipad thingy.

Christ it's enormous. It looks like a tablet/ipad thingy.

LOL! Actually I think part of it may be my poor photography skills. It is no bigger than the old model as it fits the same cradle however the screen is a bit larger as it doesn't have the row of buttons down the left hand side.

Got mine today. It fits in the cradle just fine, and once locked properly (just give it a wiggle to be sure), it ain't going anywhere.

You can customise the main info screen with all the bike stats on the LC, just roll the wheel down, and it gives you four or five more customisable screens. I've set one to have just a MASSIVE speedo for those speed camera zones but on one of the others, I have speed, miles to empty, trip 1 and trip a.

I've yet to play around with it properly, but initial impressions are very good.:thumb

The only annoying thing is, every time I turn it on I get the EULA, which I have to accept every time, and the message "cannot unlock maps", even though I've hooked it up to the computer (any ideas, anyone?). Why can't you just plug these units into the computer, and it automatically downloads the updates and lifetime maps?:comfort There was no card in the box with a code for the lifetime maps, so I'm not sure how I go about getting these. Again, if anyone knows how to do this, please let me know.:thumb:bow

Ok, from googling the EULA issue, it appears that it will disappear after the first outing on the bike.:beerjug:

Got mine today. It fits in the cradle just fine, and once locked properly (just give it a wiggle to be sure), it ain't going anywhere.

You can customise the main info screen with all the bike stats on the LC, just roll the wheel down, and it gives you four or five more customisable screens. I've set one to have just a MASSIVE speedo for those speed camera zones but on one of the others, I have speed, miles to empty, trip 1 and trip a.

I've yet to play around with it properly, but initial impressions are very good.:thumb

The only annoying thing is, every time I turn it on I get the EULA, which I have to accept every time, and the message "cannot unlock maps", even though I've hooked it up to the computer (any ideas, anyone?). Why can't you just plug these units into the computer, and it automatically downloads the updates and lifetime maps?:comfort There was no card in the box with a code for the lifetime maps, so I'm not sure how I go about getting these. Again, if anyone knows how to do this, please let me know.:thumb:bow

Your lifetime maps are linked to the serial no of your unit so when you plug it into your pc it recognizes it as a LM unit. :blagblah

Does anyone know if it will display OS mapping or custom maps? After all, what's the use a monster screen if there's not much to look at... If you see what I mean.

I've solved the cannot unlock maps problem, as I'd copied the maps to the SD card AND the Nav V, forgetting that the Nav has 8gb of internal storage.:blast

Does anyone know if it will display OS mapping or custom maps? After all, what's the use a monster screen if there's not much to look at... If you see what I mean.

Not sure, but probably.:thumb Garmin has gone down the route of a minimal instruction manual, so everything can be found online.:rolleyes:

The Nutty GSER wrote= (can't figure out how to put in quotes) " Not sure, but probably. Garmin has gone down the route of a minimal instruction manual, so everything can be found online."
The manual is so minimal it doesn't exist. Spoke to Garmin UK about no manual on website told will be available soon. Took the young lady several minutes to even locate any info and was asked is it made by Garmin!!
Sure it will be fine when the device is recognized by my either of my PCs, at the moment it won't talk to either. (in fairness reams of email paperwork from Garmin trying to help, to no avail.)
Anybody else had this problem?

I'd be quite surprised if it did custom maps now seeing it's just a face lift 660, still you never know

Sorry I havn't read ALL the previous comments but I collected my Nav V a couple of days ago ... with the Comms System too . I thought "what the hell 0% finance I'll do the lot" .. so I did. It's all very slick, the screen is big and the unit is flatter than the 660 by a fair bit me thinks. Searching and calculating routes is quicker than before and there are more options for you. The internal memory is just big enough for the download of European maps .. leaving a bit for your music .. I have an SD card in there for any more stuff.
1st impressions are very good .. have yet to really try out the comms side of things as the bike is stuck in the garage ... massive storm battering the country as I tap away .. so I look forward to that. Not been down that route before, music on the move and Bluetooth etc so I can't compare it to any other stuff on the market but again it's all nicely put together in the System 6 all tucked away etc .. will let you know how I get on. :thumb2

Ps .. just reading Page 2 from Poshtosser .. A big Map Book is always in my topbox .. you never know !

Does this one have the option of choosing "curvy roads" as with the new LM350 ? And does basemap support said " curve roads" option?

Back
Top Bottom