2upfromdownunder

Lobster

Reaction score
Hi All. My wife and I both turn 60 year and are planning our longest adventure yet - we are flying our GSA to Sydney and will ride back home to North Wales under the banner of 2upfromdownunder. We will be riding with two good friends on their GSA (they currently live in Sydney) and will start on the 1st Feb next year - 22,000miles over 6 months. We have made some good mods to our bike such as Wunderlich comfort seat and Outback Motortek crashbars which are think are a huge improvement over the standard BMs. We have also gone with soft luggage as we could wrap them in Gaffa tape if we came off and damaged them. We have set up a channel on Youtube where we show all the changes we have made so far, if anyone has any 'must have/must do' ideas that we've missed, please let us know. We also go through the proposed route in one film. One big issue we have had is in China - we need a Chinese bike licence and the Chinese Govt have stopped issuing these to anyone over the age of 60, which is all 4 of us! Has anyone dealt with this issue recently or found a 'workaround'? Please subscribe to our Youtube Channel if you can, there's no cost and you can keep updated with progress before and after we start. Cheers Lawrence
YCDA5403.JPG

=======

I have moved this post and thread into the trip report section and deleted the second identical thread on the same topic, which had no replies.

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck Lawrence Ill subscribe to your travels. Ps who has had a birthday since your Youtube description says three of you are 60, not four above 🤣🍾🍾

Good luck Lawrence Ill subscribe to your travels. Ps who has had a birthday since your Youtube description says three of you are 60, not four above 🤣🍾🍾
Thanks Steve. I didn't describe our ages very well - I am 60 already, Linda is this year and all 4 of us will be when we set off, hence the the licencing issue in China. It's such a random age to choose and I'm sure it will affect a lot of the tour companies out there as a large percentage of their clients will be our age or over! Thank you very much for following us.

You'll have a great time! Don't forget to do a lap of Aus before you set off, that should break the bike in so you know what's what, just watch out for Skippy. :)

You'll have a great time! Don't forget to do a lap of Aus before you set off, that should break the bike in so you know what's what, just watch out for Skippy. :)
Hi John, we've done 20K miles on the bike so it's well broken in. We have been warned about speeding anywhere because of the Police and all the animals! We had originally planned to head North to Darwin and ship the bikes from there but the temp reached 51C this Feb, so we are going to stay South and head over to Perth - from there, we'll fly the bikes to Bali.

Subscribed. Sounds like a wonderful trip, have the most amazing time and stay safe.
2 rings when you get home please.

Thanks Mum! Thank you very much for that - we have actually bought a Garmin In Reach messenger for that very purpose. We will do a short film on the tech we have chosen for the trip but this looks like a very useful addition. Family and friends can track your progress and you can send short texts saying: I'm safe, I'm on my way etc. It's nice and small and the battery lasts a long time too. Cheers Lawrence

I’m in, sounds like an epic trip to follow.
Good luck and stay safe!

Looks a fab trip !! And you have travelled with my mate Dave Lee / Rams ! I will look forward to hearing about this . Having just done 3000 miles in 2 weeks to the Dolomites and back you have the perfect bike . Good luck

Looks a fab trip !! And you have travelled with my mate Dave Lee / Rams ! I will look forward to hearing about this . Having just done 3000 miles in 2 weeks to the Dolomites and back you have the perfect bike . Good luck
Hi Robbo, good to hear from you. I've just got back froma week in Scotland with Dave and upto 1 month ago, Dave and Leah were joining us on this trip, they were the 3rd couple in the group!

Back
Top Bottom