890 CAMSHAFTS

Wierpig

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
THe 790 and 890 twins are lovely engines to ride but the number of engine failures is rising.I took my valve cover off at 11000 miles to rectify a leak and found the camshafts worn.Over serviced by me using Motorex 10/50 (its not cheap) and genuine filters.Run in gently by me and ridden with mechanical sympathy.
KTM arnt admitting a problem but theyve got a big one.
Ive gone to Honda who have learnt from VF750 cam failures in the 80s how to make and lubricate a camshaft properly.
KTM.Ready to break.

THe 790 and 890 twins are lovely engines to ride but the number of engine failures is rising.I took my valve cover off at 11000 miles to rectify a leak and found the camshafts worn.Over serviced by me using Motorex 10/50 (its not cheap) and genuine filters.Run in gently by me and ridden with mechanical sympathy.
KTM arnt admitting a problem but theyve got a big one.
Ive gone to Honda who have learnt from VF750 cam failures in the 80s how to make and lubricate a camshaft properly.
KTM.Ready to break.

Does it affect the stellar Norden 901 too?

All based on internet horror stories so far, like the ones that said the 1190 airbox was so shit they would all burn out valves in under 10k, my mates early 1190 has now clocked 70k and runs perfectly, no perceptible speed difference between it and my 10k 1290.

I would wait a bit longer before panicking if I owned one, and as I don't maybe wait a bit longer until considering buying one.

Sounds like the early BMW F750/850 twins, when the cams weren't hardened correctly.

Didn't they blame it on the Chinese/Indians, rather than their own quality checking failures?

All based on internet horror stories so far, like the ones that said the 1190 airbox was so shit they would all burn out valves in under 10k, my mates early 1190 has now clocked 70k and runs perfectly, no perceptible speed difference between it and my 10k 1290.

I would wait a bit longer before panicking if I owned one, and as I don't maybe wait a bit longer until considering buying one.
Not internet..it was a horror story in my garage

Intetesting. Can I ask are all the reported failures due to camshaft wear? What are the symptoms? Loss of performance, or catastrophic failure?

Cheers.

Intetesting. Can I ask are all the reported failures due to camshaft wear? What are the symptoms? Loss of performance, or catastrophic failure?

Cheers.
Mine had no symptoms at all.Ran and started pefectly and quietly.I was shocked to see the state the camshafts were in.Scored and worn at the tip of the lobes and metal flaking off.
Many reports on Advrider, some none start, some poor starting and some breakdown and recovery.
The valve check is at 18k miles so I suspect a lot more bikes will be needing a lot more money spending on them at the 18k service.

Crikey. Sounds grim. Did the metal flaking off the camshafts not show up on the oil drain plug magnets when you changed the oil? When I changed the oil on my 790 a couple of months ago, the magnets had nothing on them at all. Mind you, mine's only done 5,000 miles...

Maybe "run in gently & ridden with mechanical sympathy" isn't the best way to get the oil sloshing to the top?
Not much gets ridden/driven the way it should anymore, due to road policing and an older demographic buying them.
Don't know ... but I'd like to see what damage Chris Birch could achieve?

Maybe "run in gently & ridden with mechanical sympathy" isn't the best way to get the oil sloshing to the top?
Not much gets ridden/driven the way it should anymore, due to road policing and an older demographic buying them.
Don't know ... but I'd like to see what damage Chris Birch could achieve?
By mechanical sympathy, I meant letting the oil warm up before giving it a handful.
Its delivered to the camshafts under pressure through oil jets (that were clear) rather than just sloshing :)

Crikey. Sounds grim. Did the metal flaking off the camshafts not show up on the oil drain plug magnets when you changed the oil? When I changed the oil on my 790 a couple of months ago, the magnets had nothing on them at all. Mind you, mine's only done 5,000 miles...
Good luck, but im sure the majority will be ok.Just make sure the camcover comes off for inspection before the warranty expires.

Nicked off advrider but mine was exactly the same as this.

Attachments

• 20230711_163120.jpg
    20230711_163120.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 103
Good luck, but im sure the majority will be ok.Just make sure the camcover comes off for inspection before the warranty expires.
Mine goes in for a TFT replacement next month with just 3 weeks warranty remaining.
I'll see if I can get them to check, but I know they will look blankly at me bewildered.

I was going to treat myself to a Norden or 2023 890 S in off season this winter.
I will apply the handbrake on the decision and see how this pans out?
Run-the T700 a while longer.

That looks like the cam in my dads old 1600 lada. Changed it outside in front of his house.........what a lovely boxing day that was...I kid you not!

Back
Top Bottom