Achill Island 28th - 30th July 2006

Northern jock said:
Anyone know how far from the Cairnryan ferry (or any other ferry for that matter) it is, or how many hours riding?
nj

It's just over 200 miles from Cairnryan/Belfast ferry terminal, should take around 3/4 hours allowing for comfort breaks

Northern jock said:
Anyone know how far from the Cairnryan ferry (or any other ferry for that matter) it is, or how many hours riding?
Anyone else going from Scotland?
nj

NJ, when you disembark the ferry in Larne it's about 4.5 hours to Achill. If you are coming over PM me and I will send you the route. Some cracking roads on the way across. :thumb

I think there may be a few Jockinese riders coming over, but a read back through these pages will confirm.

Aidan

Sounds like a good excuse for a wee ride from the Montrose area, is it open to anyone? (on a GS of course!)
I would imagine leaving home Friday I could get there that day. Anyone know how far from the Cairnryan ferry (or any other ferry for that matter) it is, or how many hours riding?
Anyone else going from Scotland?
nj

Hi Northern Jock,
Me and the wife are travelling down on Friday - ferry booked with P & O from Troon(10:00hrs) to Larne. We're booked in the hotel at Achill. The return ferry is booked for Larne(17:30) to Troon on Sunday.
We stay near Monikie ( 10mls NE of Dundee ), so not far away from you - we can tie-up for the run through if you like? PM me if you want.

Cheers........................Grizzly :beer:

Grizzly
Cheers mate, I'll be in touch nearer the time. I'll be camping I reckon. Be good to meet up for the run through, ferry times sound good, no point in arriving too late when there's beer to be drunk.

nj

too good to miss !!

I'm hoping to be in the area end of July so I'd love to stop by.

Will I be able to camp as I'd hate to book a room and end up stranded somewhere in Scotland trying to figure out ferry schedules...

Cheers,
Bunjy :beerjug:

Bunjy said:
I'm hoping to be in the area end of July so I'd love to stop by.

Will I be able to camp as I'd hate to book a room and end up stranded somewhere in Scotland trying to figure out ferry schedules...

Cheers,
Bunjy :beerjug:

You will be made very welcome Bunjy. The ferries from Scotland over to Ireland are very frequent, so you shouldn't have any problems there.

Look forward to seeing you on Achill. :thumb

Geriatric Germ said:
sorry, guys and gals :ymca bean offered a Picos Ride the same time. :thumb Gotta go :rob Go Do One on me :beer: :beer:

Ah Rob - it just won't be the same without ya :( Who's gonna mind Big Fella :nenau :D :D

Achill Island Recce

Some folks are down this weekend doing the final preperations for the Achill Island weekend.

I was sent this MMS of Jochen at a ford on his new GSA. He is logging the coordinates so hopefully it will make for a great weekend.

Attachments

• front.jpeg
    front.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 145
That's my ferry booked see you all there :thumb
Hi Grizzly and Northern jock i'm booked on the same ferry as you maybe we could ride across Ireland together :beerjug:

Cheers Martin

.....*cough*..... Hmmmmmm, looks like it may be a party all right, .....*sneeze*...... pity I'm working .....*barf*..... that weekend .....*sniff*.....

:D

Permission Granted

OK, so finally I've got agreement from Mrs Toad, so, we'll both be heading over to Achill. :thumb

Is there anything I need to book (we'll be camping - I know I don't need to book that) or should we just rock up?

Heading over on the Thursday and staying with friends in Westport that night, then just the short hop to Achill on the Friday.

thetoad said:
Is there anything I need to book.................or should we just rock up?
QUOTE]

No, nothing else to book apart from the ferry. :) All you have to do is turn up and buy plenty of drink. :thumb :beerjug: :beer:

Look forward to meeting you both there. Have you seen the "recce" threads? They will give you some idea of what to expect on the rideout.

Aidan

Aidan1150 said:
Have you seen the "recce" threads? They will give you some idea of what to expect on the rideout.

Aidan

That's what convinced me to come! Total novice on anything but tarmac so looking forward to the challenge.

Trying to find something else for Mrs Toad to do on Saturday so that I can ride-out solo. Friends in Westport may provide the solution.

Now can't wait get there. My first time in Ireland so looking forward to that as well.

thetoad said:
OK, so finally I've got agreement from Mrs Toad, so, we'll both be heading over to Achill. :thumb

Is there anything I need to book (we'll be camping - I know I don't need to book that) or should we just rock up?

Heading over on the Thursday and staying with friends in Westport that night, then just the short hop to Achill on the Friday.

Good to have another one signed up ;) :thumb

There'll be a poll closer to the date to get an idea of how many we'll have for the various meals but other than that the ferry is the only thing that needs bookin' for the campers - and no Hi-De-Hi from you lot please ;) :D

As there now seems to be a goodly number of peeps turning up Thurs PM or Fri AM I might organise a wee run on the Friday - just to get youse warmed up :D
Watch this space :bounce1

Sugarcube said:
Mrs Toad could head into Westport (or see some scenic areas) with Mrs Sugarcube (7.5 months pregnant, driving down in her sensible car) if she wishes. :thumb

Unsupervised shopping :eek: Never a good idea :nono :nono :D

Nice . . . . thanks.. . . .

Sugarcube said:
Mrs Toad could head into Westport (or see some scenic areas) with Mrs Sugarcube (7.5 months pregnant, driving down in her sensible car) if she wishes. :thumb
Thanks Sugarcube. I'll pass that on. I'm sure that'll be a welcome suggestion.

I do know that they serve bar meals in the hotel JJohn, but I will give them a ring this morning and get back to you.

Aidan

Back
Top Bottom