Adventures to Starbucks on my BMW R1150GSA

Thanks mate yep I'm just curious as to what's in it learnt to always check after working on my dads bros kettle that he had when he got it, it had 3 different plugs lol which were all wrong. Want to be able to keep an eye on the plugs when I put the stock system on as I'm not sure what's been done to the ECU was some pulls from Hilltop in all the paperwork did notice it said on the website that whatever they do can adapt so we shall see an ill keep an eye on it the old way till I get it into Steve's.

That's brill to know :) looking forward to getting the stock pipe back on, I've always liked running them standard the elsies an Nortons always have the best reliability when like that.

I run a Cat box and e4 road legal Remus on both mine (baffles in)
On the Tenere it’s stock but I have an e4 Akra silencer to go on that, with baffles in
All my off-road bikes are standard exhaust systems

Thanks mate that's good to know :) I'm the same tbh personally for me I prefer setups like that as well. Anything that improves motorcycling image is a good thing I always think.

Little bit of spannering at the moment on her.

Managed to source a few bits,
One very nice 2004 GSA exhaust system just waiting on the parts coming into my local Motorrad dealer so I can fit it.

Which should be in tomorrow along with the Service Discs CD-Roms now there's a blast from the past! I don't even have a computer at the mo lol

I've fitted a stock height GS Centre stand and modified the Shackle on the springs which was the only change that I needed to make,

This was after fitting the big spring and using a cable tie with some tape to pull the smaller spring through.

So much easier to put on the main stand now which is awesome! Effortless really for the weight of the bike.

I'd planned to be out every evening this week an over the weekend unfortunately I got screwed by a parts supplier sending me the wrong grips were meant to be genuine (confirmed it before ordering and wound up with pattern ones turning up) so that's gonna take about a week to sort. Gutter being I'd cut the stock grips off carefully from the heated grip elements expecting genuine grips so no riding for the next few days. Drat that'l teach me!

Pic from the other day.

She's got a tiny bit of play in the Paralever Pivot bearings (with the brake on 3-9 position) slightest of audiable knocks when moving the wheel with a bit of a pull an push.

I've been looking through all the paperwork an can't see if those were ever done although they may have been because it seems very well cared for.

Gonna see if I can get away with adjustment this week when I've got the propper tool an then in a couple of weeks get some new ones fitted, might look at doing the Crown wheel bearing when I come to fit it

It had a 12k service by Steve at Rainbow at 50,848 miles in March 2021 ago then an annual last year.

For those with 1150's what's the crack with the fuel filters as that had a x through it on the sheet, Not sure if she's had a belt at some point because that had checked ok on the sheet.
New Pads and rear disk fitted as well and an Odyssey Battery so that's good :)

I'm at just under 53k at the mo, so not to long ago since she was in Steve's expert hands. She had an Annual at Reynold's last year as well.

She's been Ran on Putoline Pro R synth 15-50 according to the receipts. Weighing up between that and the Boxer 4 stuff they do.

Think the plan for this week is get the Paralever Pivot bearings adjusted up, give her an annual oil change, engine, FD and gearbox, new gen air filter (she's got a K&N in at the mo) New plugs an sort the grips out as numero uno priority.

So hopefully I can be out come the weekend providing the right grips show up.

Just gotta weigh up about the fuel filter might look at doing that if I take the tank off to fit my sat nav, could imagine that being a bit pricey to have done out.

Wanna do the clutch fluid an brakes as well as it's been 2 years since those were done.

Anyways I better get that starbucks chart out ready for some more rides haha!

Gonna try take a proper camera out with me next time, keep forgetting I've got luggage now!

Gonna do this service myself this time round from a cost point of view as that'l let me do the Paralever Pivot bearings as well, then whip it into Steve's for the next one always good to get an experienced eye over a bike model when you are getting up to speed yourself.

Last edited:
Today I got absolutely drenched! Had a brilliant adventure ride today on the BMW 1150GSA through some thunder ⛈ storms which included me getting utterly soaked!!

Good news is the GSA is running like an absolute peach with the stock exhaust system and air filter. she may not sound as raucous but the fueling and smoothness is brilliant with the cat and stock can in place that I purchased looking forward to my parts arriving this week so I can bleed all the clutch fluid and renew it

It's gotta be said bmw motorrad styled these bikes absolutely perfect if they brought a new back to basics 1150GSA out again I'd totally buy one there's alot to be said about the simplicity of no gizmos.

I can't ever see that happening though so my 1150GSA will be staying for a very very long long time as none of the new stuff appeals at the moment. I prefer being able to spanner on them as and when I please.

Got a few piccies from today in-between getting soaked lol.

Thanks to everyone that advised in my question thread on the mapping.

Few more updates :)

Video riding and talking about the stock exhaust

Got absolutely drenched it was sunny took my jacket off crossed over the road to take some pics then instant thunderstorm lmao soaked to the skin all good fun though

[media]

Look at the plugs on the exhaust that was fitted (straight through n k&n that had been fitted)

An after 40 mins of riding on the stock exhaust, Cat and a new original exhaust.

I'll be doing a propper plug chop when I've got some new plugs.

Had a really good one today :) took a propper camera out with me for the first time in a long while.

Just rode around the Peak District up n down Winnatts onto the Cat and Fiddle and some favourite back roads off mine around the Peaks.

Also hi to the water cooled rider who beeped an let on up the Cat if you are on here.

Was a good day all round really.

Wasn't sure if I'd enjoy doing a bit of Photography again it was fun though that's for sure!

Anyway here's a few pics I'm still amazed at how easy the 1150 is to cover distances on did about 7 hours of riding today.

Great fun.

Just hoping my bits come in at BMW soon as I wanna do the service on her :) n order a few more new bits.

Had a great ride out today for a few hours around the leafy lanes off Cheshire.

Bikes running good :) should have my new genuine grips tomorrow an can fit the new bar ends, next job after that is to check the throttle body balance out.

I'm gonna order a set of stick coils as well tomorrow an some new plugs.

Still waiting on the darn service bits I ordered at BMW It's looking like it's gonna be a 3 week wait on Germany bits again.

Need to decide on an order some oils tomorrow as well

Really enjoying the bike though great fun.

Couple off things I was wandering is how loud are they usually going from 2nd to 1st bit clanky?

For anyone with the gs911 can you view the tps volts? I got the motoscan today but it's one thing it doesn't show on the motronic 2.4?

Last edited:
Ended up fitting the new genuine grips today.
Took 3 weeks to arrive so hopefully my other bits will show up at the main dealer as well this week.

First step was to cut off the genuine worn out throttle grip
Then the pattern clutch side grip.

Very carefully with a surgical scalpel, BMW seemed to have glued mine in 4 spots at both ends.

After removing the grip I then dealt with any remaining rubber carefully chamfering it down so it wouldn't interfer with the new grips.

Then I took some gorila glue clear and repeated the glue spots onto the heated elements (used that in the past on heated grips)

After that wd40 into the inside of the grips an pop them on checking alignment and clearance to where the originals were before you took them off (take pics)
I usually leave 24 hours just to make sure it's all dried properly before riding.

Finally I fitted new gen bar ends and bolts.

One thing to be aware off is my bar ends bolts had red loctite on so something to watch for. Good ol bmw lol.

Before refitting the bolts clear out any threadlock on the inside of the bar threads.

You need two throttle grips from the older GS's if replacing heated grip ones on the 1150. The clutch one won't fit on naturally with it having a tube.

Took a reference pic off the Ariete grip against the genuine, differences to the material feel and the shape.

Last edited:
Had a great ride today on the mighty BMW 1150 GSA unfortunately I've got a problem to diagnose tomorrow with a very loud creaking from the rear end.

It's either the rear shock or FD Pivot bearings or a combination off both which I'm really hoping it isn't. Luckily it only started happening very close to home when I felt the handling go off under de acceleration.

Creaking quite loudly when lifting off the stand and squeaking / creaking depending on how hard I push the seat.

Tomorrow's job is to pull the rear shock and inspect everything check for play in the swingarm bearings + pivot bearings. I'm gonna get a digital temp guage so I can heat the pivot pins with my heat gun an check the bearings out visually an look at ordering some.

Then check the shock out inspect for any leaking on it was to tired to look tonight as I'd been riding for about 12 hours.

Always interesting to get your head round any issues. I had a feeling the bearings / shock might had been on the way. Least they are Ohlins so should be rebuildable.

Onto week 3 off waiting for the gen parts coming in at the local bmwmotorrad Dealer for the 2nd time so I can do its service, there's something they don't tell you in any reviews be prepared for long waits on bits if they arnt in the UK seriously BMW I remember when I had the F800GS an it was 5 days max from Germany much better.

Bit irritating as if it is my pivot bearings that could be a potential 3 week wait for parts again.

Coming from the world off Classic Nortons where I can get everything next day from any of the 3 Norton Suppliers, Andover, Norvil an RGM it's been a suprise. You could literally build a period Commando from new parts.

I do have friends with 1250's that haven't been able to get the bikes in for service for months waiting lists so not just an 1150 parts issue.

Before the Norway trip I'll make a list of potential spares I'll need an make sure I have them on the shelf like I do for the service bits on the Nortons.

Anyways here's a few pics from today :)

It’s not the shock, don’t waste time on it

Creaking when you push down on the seat, is pivot bearings

Got them changed

Shock is fine

Lmao I had camera gear in them Davey plus the essentials of lunch!

Cheers Johnny just giving it all a clean up was pretty filthy tbh an did have some staining on the body so cleaned that all up so I can keep an eye on it, doesn't look like the shocks been serviced for a while, needs a new hydraulic preload hose at some point as well

Gonna order some bearings in the morning, just got back from getting a digital laser temp guage for heating the pins with the hot air gun.

Little clip while examining stuff, gonna move on to the FD in a moment.

[media]

Forgot to add clocked a few things on the shock so glad I looked at it the lower bush doesn't look to healthy same for the top one, there's a nick in the Hydraulic hose outer sleeve, an when your hand is on the shock spring pushing on the seat you can feel vibration through the shock.

If the pivot bearings have gone with the shock off can you usually still hear the sound? When moving the shaft through its travel?

N finally who's everyone using for Ohlins rebuilds now adays.

Gonna look at getting them done as a matter of course as it doesn't look like they have seen any attention for a few years.

Top one was worse.

My instinct is saying shock but ill check the Pivot bearings out anyway while it's in bits.

Forgot to add clocked a few things on the shock so glad I looked at it the lower bush doesn't look to healthy same for the top one, there's a nick in the Hydraulic hose outer sleeve, an when your hand is on the shock spring pushing on the seat you can feel vibration through the shock.

If the pivot bearings have gone with the shock off can you usually still hear the sound? When moving the shaft through its travel?

N finally who's everyone using for Ohlins rebuilds now adays.

Gonna look at getting them done as a matter of course as it doesn't look like they have seen any attention for a few years.

Top one was worse.

My instinct is saying shock but ill check the Pivot bearings out anyway while it's in bits.

KAIS performance in Atherton, Manchester are the tops for Ohlins supply and service
You won’t go far wrong
You may do well to upgrade the rear spring as well
Stock is 140nM
You need either a 160 or 180 nM spring (I run a 180)

Thanks mate appreciate the reply :) did notice the previous owner had it wound on a fair way,

although the figures were right so as you say will benefit by a spring change,

Got to the bottom of it, its definitely the shock. Lubed the damaged bushings with wd still creaked.

Lubed the main rod on the shock while pumping the bike up an down then some rubber came out followed by a bit off fluid an then no more noise followed by a loss of dampening, so shock rebuild time the top bushing is alot worse than the bottom one.

Gonna deal with the shock first now funds wise.

Then look at the FD, want to take a look at the front shock as well.

[media]

Back
Top Bottom