Advice on which bike

gedk66

Reaction score
Any advice on buying a 2005 R 1200gs please?

It's a low mileage-18000 and a great looking/condition example.

Will be my 1st 1200GS, used to ride F650gs and am now grown up a bit and want a good commuter.

What should I look for or look out for with this particular model and at £5k-ish is it a good deal or not?

Thanks in advance...

Ged.

Hi, at that age it is all about condition and service history. Mileage is low and if there is little corrosion it has probably been pampered. Issues to check our are the fuel pump controller. These are a common and well known issue...most have been remedied with a later version. Worth asking.

Other thing to check is the final drive. If the rear wheel moves more that 1mm on either the horizontal
Or vertices plain it could be on the way out. About £400 to fix from a good independent, likely to happen at some stage in the future but still less expensive and hassle than a series of sprockets and chains.

£5k sounds a little toppy but not if in great condition with luggage. Otherwise the motor is pretty bullet proof. Oh, check the ABs light goes out after you start rolling...if not ABS pump could be stuffed which is expensive.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

Cheers

Hi, at that age it is all about condition and service history. Mileage is low and if there is little corrosion it has probably been pampered. Issues to check our are the fuel pump controller. These are a common and well known issue...most have been remedied with a later version. Worth asking.

Other thing to check is the final drive. If the rear wheel moves more that 1mm on either the horizontal
Or vertices plain it could be on the way out. About £400 to fix from a good independent, likely to happen at some stage in the future but still less expensive and hassle than a series of sprockets and chains.

£5k sounds a little toppy but not if in great condition with luggage. Otherwise the motor is pretty bullet proof. Oh, check the ABs light goes out after you start rolling...if not ABS pump could be stuffed which is expensive.

Cheers

Quote .... "used to ride F650gs and am now grown up a bit"

Ha ha feckin' ha .... the F650GS will take you anywhere in the world son :D

Cheers

Thanks oldnfat...

Still umming and aaring as to which way to go. Seen a few younger versions with same mileage and condition and price, so a little confused as to why this particular one commands such a premium price. I've read a lot about factory recalls on the rear hubs etc. What's that all about and is it worth asking for a reduction in price if this hasn't been attended to?

Cheers,

Ged.

no just joking having had around 13 or so gsers my preference is for an 1150 but having had 5 or so 1200 s i have never had a problem with any of them the final drive issue is well documented but dont let that put you off , just be patient and choose wisely theres tons of them out there .
best place to buy is from this forum as most of the bikes on sale on here have been owned by some one from this forum and history etc can be checked .

remember you can allways do a search on history about the bikes

Thanks oldnfat...

Still umming and aaring as to which way to go. Seen a few younger versions with same mileage and condition and price, so a little confused as to why this particular one commands such a premium price. I've read a lot about factory recalls on the rear hubs etc. What's that all about and is it worth asking for a reduction in price if this hasn't been attended to?

Cheers,

Ged.

Any recalls not done won't cost you a penny, so probably not the best negotiation tool, but nothing lost in trying. If you note the reg number and VIN and call BMW UK they'll be able to tell you if the recalls were done - rear hub and fuel pump flange. Book it in with a dealer, and an hour or so later you're all done!
I had a single cam and did some decent mileage (112k) before selling it (twat!!!!:banghead:) - apart from the usual, brakes, tyres, fluids etc, it was bulletproof :thumby:

R1200 GS is a good a bike as any - should have no engine problems if looked after - right in the middle of the final drive issues though (I had a 2005 and she failed at 17000 miles. However anyone's guess if it could fail or not - to be fair even new bikes have issues with final drive so you pay your money and keep your fingers crossed.

I would look at brake discs (pads easily changed but discs would be more expensive) especially check the rear in case previous owner was a rear brake trailer......

Suspension should be OK but especially if mileage is as low as 18000 and the bike has been kept well but at this age it is worth looking to make sure that there is movement on the securing pins - look to see if rust marks are present at the ends of the suspension units. Find out if previous owner is a fat twat - I speak from senior authority on the matter because I am 17 stone and have seen a few suspension issues when my bikes get to around 30,000 miles - funny enough the BMW extended warranty won't cover suspension past 30,000 miles - coincidence?

Look for some kind of service history - if not change the brake fluids in front and rear. Check lever play on clutch and brake - more for wear in the levers that problems with clutch and brake.

All in all the BMW product is good and the amount of R1200 products that are about should far out way the slightly less reliable product to the old 1150 - more used spares to choose from.

If it looks pretty and rides well then the price is about right if it's been fully serviced - luggage would be a bonus but a top box for commuting is a good investment. Don't forget that you are looking for an investment of a good £220.00 for new tyres so have a look at them if they are well down there is your first £250.00 bid less than asking price and so on.....

Rik

R1200 GS is a good a bike as any - should have no engine problems if looked after - right in the middle of the final drive issues though (I had a 2005 and she failed at 17000 miles. However anyone's guess if it could fail or not - to be fair even new bikes have issues with final drive so you pay your money and keep your fingers crossed.

I would look at brake discs (pads easily changed but discs would be more expensive) especially check the rear in case previous owner was a rear brake trailer......

Suspension should be OK but especially if mileage is as low as 18000 and the bike has been kept well but at this age it is worth looking to make sure that there is movement on the securing pins - look to see if rust marks are present at the ends of the suspension units. Find out if previous owner is a fat twat - I speak from senior authority on the matter because I am 17 stone and have seen a few suspension issues when my bikes get to around 30,000 miles - funny enough the BMW extended warranty won't cover suspension past 30,000 miles - coincidence?

Look for some kind of service history - if not change the brake fluids in front and rear. Check lever play on clutch and brake - more for wear in the levers that problems with clutch and brake.

All in all the BMW product is good and the amount of R1200 products that are about should far out way the slightly less reliable product to the old 1150 - more used spares to choose from.

If it looks pretty and rides well then the price is about right if it's been fully serviced - luggage would be a bonus but a top box for commuting is a good investment. Don't forget that you are looking for an investment of a good £220.00 for new tyres so have a look at them if they are well down there is your first £250.00 bid less than asking price and so on.....

Rik

Thanks Rik..

All good advice and I'll keep the forum posted as to my decision/outcome..

Ged.

Back
Top Bottom