Altberg vs Daytona

Buttertub

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've currently got Altberg roadrunner boots which are still going strong after 7 years but i'm looking for a spare pair soon and have been looking at the Daytona roadstar.

I'd be perfectly happy with another pair of Altbergs but i was just wondering if anyone had experience of both and whether there's any noticeable difference. Obviously both are great boots.

I'll probably look to get the Altbergs resoled but i'm still planning on another pair just in case.

Cheers in advance.

I’m about to sell a pair of Daytona boots (size 45), as I have replaced them with the next size up, if you are interested? They are In excellen, used condition with recently replaced gear-change pads (repair arranged via Hideout Leathers).

Needed the soles replacing last year on my Altbergs Road Runners, phoned the factory, 10 weeks wait, then I asked about buying a new pair, 15 weeks.

I then bought a pair of Daytona Travel Star GTX Pro whilst I had my Altbergs resoled. Altbergs are back, but I really like the Daytonas so haven't worn the Atbergs since they came back with new soles. Been very impressed.

Had and still have Altberg Clubmans for over 25 years and supplemented not replaced them with Daytona boots (£300 plus), wore the Daytonas for one season but could not get away with them so bought a pair of Altberg Roadrunners which are imho opinion far superior to the Daytonas

I’m about to sell a pair of Daytona boots (size 45), as I have replaced them with the next size up, if you are interested? They are In excellen, used condition with recently replaced gear-change pads (repair arranged via Hideout Leathers).
I would have done but i've got wide feet and the current altbergs are an XW custom order, if you'd have been local i'd have had a try on but knowing my luck they'd probably be too tight so best not.

Thanks for the offer though much appreciated.

Had and still have Altberg Clubmans for over 25 years and supplemented not replaced them with Daytona boots (£300 plus), wore the Daytonas for one season but could not get away with them so bought a pair of Altberg Roadrunners which are imho opinion far superior to the Daytonas
Totally agree the Altberg's are great boots, the wait time can be a pain, mine were 2 months because they were custom fit but well worth it and very durable. Mine have just started to get chewed (a little on the gear change side) from the GSA pegs but i'll be sorting that with the wunderlich over rubbers.

Which model Daytonas are you thinking of selling? I am away for 2 weeks from tomorrow but I should be able to get broadband most of the time, you can PM me with the model and price.

The rubber toe pad on my Daytona GTX Pro boots lasted about 3 months before starting to disintegrate. The dealers say Daytona wouldn’t be interested.

The rubber toe pad on my Daytona GTX Pro boots lasted about 3 months before starting to disintegrate. The dealers say Daytona wouldn’t be interested.
Mine are 8 months old now and I have ridden probably 15k in them, mine are still like new. Not sure why the dealers wouldn't replace them, unless it was not a boot fault. I would defiantly expect better for the price of the boots. So my vote still goes to the Daytonas so far.

Totally agree the Altberg's are great boots, the wait time can be a pain, mine were 2 months because they were custom fit but well worth it and very durable. Mine have just started to get chewed (a little on the gear change side) from the GSA pegs but i'll be sorting that with the wunderlich over rubbers.
I sent my roadrunners back to altberge who glued on a new leather gear protector, works really well and better that some tie on rubber.

Ian

it's not for Daytona to provide a solution. The dealer that sold you the boot has full liability assuming the boot is defective rather than being exposed to excessive wear & tear. Toe pad on my left boot lasted c20 years before coming adrift.

Daytona are amazing. I love mine. Lasted about 6 years of pretty much daily riding. Still fine but I can see they will need replacing soon. I can’t recommend them highly enough and they are incredibly comfortable. Never leaked either and I’ve been through some horrific, prolonged weather with them on tours.

I got my old Altbergs “serviced” last year after one started leaking in heavy rain.

Good as new.

My No.2 boots are a pair of Star Wars trooper Sidi boots that squeak when I walk.
They’re very comfortable, but much heavier than the Altbergs.

So it’s Altbergs for touring and Sidi for day trips wearing leather troos.

Attachments

• IMG_1688.jpeg
    IMG_1688.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1687.jpeg
    IMG_1687.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 10
Bought my Daytone Non-Stops in 2000, re-soled and re-Gore-Tex'd by the factory in 2013. Rubber pads replaced by local cobbler with leather. Still going strong (y)

Had Altbergs for work for years, never leaked, were resoled and made to look like new. Took some breaking in
Over the last 10 years I have had Daytonas. Again, never leaked, comfy from day 1 , which the Altbergs were not
The Altbergs also caused discomfort on my right ankle following an ankle injury in 2017. I did retry them but eventually sold them.
Both are great brands, get what works for you
Currently using Daytona AC Dry GTX boots as I prefer a lower boot. With the correct socks I can wear them in any weather. Compromise of shin security over comfort is a choice I make
I have a pair of Daytona Road Star GTX which I have worn for one Scotland trip, whilst very comfy, I prefer the shorter boot and the Road Stars have languished in my wardrobe since

Mrs Berin does about 10k miles a year commuting and retired her 10 year old Daytona road stars late last year.

The replacements Road Stars leaked quite heavily the first time it rained and are now back for a warranty claim.

Things aren’t what they used to be……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback everyone some things to think over. Both pairs are quality boots so i'm sure i'd be happy with either. I think i'll pop into sportsbike shop and try the daytona's and compare with the existing altbergs then take it from there.

Thanks for the feedback everyone some things to think over. Both pairs are quality boots so i'm sure i'd be happy with either. I think i'll pop into sportsbike shop and try the daytona's and compare with the existing altbergs then take it from there.

A cunning plan, if ever I heard one.

I’ve got both Daytona‘s and Altberg Hogg all weather lites. Both are very good. I use the Daytona’s for summer riding and if I‘m not intending to walk too far. For winter and touring where walking’s involved I use the Altberg’s. They’re warmer and for strolling around they’re much more comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom