Anyone GSing in muslim Iran and Turkey in august/september?

Tsiklonaut

GS pervert
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone in Iran and Turkey in august/september from UKGSer massive?

We're planning august in Turk and september to Oman gulf, and back via Masshad.

Mo

I'll be on holiday in Antalya for the first two weeks of August. Happy to buy you a beer if you are passing.

Mike

Check when Ramadan is - the Islamic Holy Month. They have a near total ban on booze and stricter codes regarding dress. Similarly most places shut at lunchtime and partyies start after the sun has gone down until late (02:00) so it gets noisy.

Hope you enjoy the trip

I was in Antalya last year at Ramadan, no noticable difference for tourists certainly.

Ate and drank in pavement restaurants day and night.

Ramadan will be end of October this year. In August it will be F. Hot!!

Mike, if you are interested, some photos here

Iain

Not sure yet if we make it there and on time too, but quite probable we will.

Will let you know then.

Right about the heat at that time there. Let's hope we norhtern-europeans will be adaptinve enough.

Anatalya seems to be some tourist centere there(?) So it means it's expensive to be there (accomodation, food), right? I was just wondering if we'll come a bit earlyer in Turk and take few days chillout off with girlfriend in Antalya on some guesthouse... Or search some isolated non tourist village place aside Mediterranean beach - we're tent romance student-types afterall... ;)

Mo

Cheesy Mike said:
I'll be on holiday in Antalya for the first two weeks of August. Happy to buy you a beer if you are passing.

Mike

Antalya, expensivee? Well perhaps.

We stayed in packpacker hotel in the middle of the old town (could walk to everything we wanted to) double room with toilet and shower, TV etc. 18€/night including breakfast (for 2). You could get lunch in town for 2 - 3€ each.

Stay away from the obvious tourist establishments and you'll be OK.

Turks are very friendly and want to talk and that usually includes a cup of apple tea.

Some fantastic off-road opportunities but detailed maps are non-existant!

Iain

Back
Top Bottom