Basecamp / BMW Nav 5 circular routes question

Zum

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

I’ve downloaded routes into base camp for the first time. When riding, If you join a circular route somewhere not at the beginning, does the Sat nav pick up where you are and then direct you around the route, or does it keep trying to take you to the beginning of the route as input into Basecamp?

Many thanks

Hi

I’ve downloaded routes into base camp for the first time. When riding, If you join a circular route somewhere not at the beginning, does the Sat nav pick up where you are and then direct you around the route, or does it keep trying to take you to the beginning of the route as input into Basecamp?

Many thanks

It depends on which you opt for when you activate the route on the Zumo. (i am not referring to an XT which i am not familiar with)
Apps --> Trip planner --> select a route --> Go, when you get here the route brings up listed start point, finish point and any waypoints.

if you only have a start and finish and select start it will take you to the start and then take onto your circular route.
If yo select finish it will take you to the finish using your preferred calculations set on the device faster time, shorter didstance. and will ignore your carefullly created route.

If you have waypoints you will need to choose your nearest to you that is in the direction of the finish (if you get me)
If you are unsure choose one that you know is nearer to the start than where you are and start skiping the route until the device starts directing you towards the finish.

Planning a route on Basecamp with only a Start and End point may result in an unexpected journey if the satnav recalculates during the journey, i.e. the recalculated path is not what you expected.

Adding Waypoints and/or Shaping points can give some control to the planned journey.

From one who’s about to jump on a ferry with a shedload of (Basecamp planned) Routes, Tracks, Waypoints on his gps for a 2,000 mile jolly :)

Cheers

Have a great trip, we’re heading to the Picos next weekend

You can create a track out of the route and follow that, unfortunately that does not give turn by turn instructions you just follow a line on the map.
Creating a track in BC (if you didn't know) right click the completed route in the lower left hand pane almost at the bottom of the options is "create track from selected route)
The track and the route then get imported together on transfer to the Zumo.

You can then make the track visible on the Zumo map by going into Apps --> Tracks --> choose track --> spanner icon --> selsct show on map --> choose colour. I usually select black.
Your track will be permenently displayed until you delete the track or unselect show on map. Having a track is very useful.

I turn off any recalculations on the Zumo, if i do mistakenly go off route I zoom out the map to see where the route is and direct myself back towards it.

Back
Top Bottom