Ensuring the routes are the same - In MRA or BaseCamp

BillWright

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi. We are trying to sort out our trip to France & Spain.
One biker mate has no Basecamp and an XT2., and two of us have a Nav 6 and Basecamp. I have membership to MRA.
When I export a route from MRA to Garmin, it appears as a straight line.
I have attached the route the XT2 owner created and emailed me. That too is a straight line. When I recalculate it, it takes over 13 hours to get from Caen to Limoges.

Could anyone assist please with a process to avoid the straight lines and that we all end up with the same route.

Thanks

======

I have edited your title a little.

I’ll move it into the MRA sub-section, simply as it has to go somewhere.

Richard

Attachments

• Caen-Limoges.gpx
    767 bytes · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
Thought you can bluetooth the routes between devices? This would negate the use of MRA

To send a trip to another zumo via Bluetooth on your zumo:1

1. Enable Bluetooth on both the sending and receiving zumo
  2. Touch Apps
  3. Touch Share Route
  4. Touch Bluetooth
  5. Select the receiving zumo device
    • If multiple Bluetooth connections are detected, see Related Content to identify the receiving device's friendly name
  6. Touch OK
  7. The receiving zumo will display a message to pair the device. Touch Yes
  8. A confirmation message will appear. Touch Yes

Last edited:
First the good news.

The A to B route displays, apparently perfectly, in MyRoute:

314 miles in five hours 18 minutes.

I say apparently as I am having to assume this is indeed the route your XT2 mate created?

It has no shaping points or the like, or at least none that are appearing in MyRoute at my end.

Last edited:
Thought you can bluetooth the routes between devices? This would negate the use of MRA

To send a trip to another zumo via Bluetooth on your zumo:1

1. Enable Bluetooth on both the sending and receiving zumo
  2. Touch Apps
  3. Touch Share Route
  4. Touch Bluetooth
  5. Select the receiving zumo device
    • If multiple Bluetooth connections are detected, see Related Content to identify the receiving device's friendly name
  6. Touch OK
  7. The receiving zumo will display a message to pair the device. Touch Yes
  8. A confirmation message will appear. Touch Yes
Does the Nav 6 have that capability like the XT2?
I would just look but my unit is en route to Garmin for replacement number four.

download the route as a track and route. and then use basecamp to convert the track to a route, it works as i have just done it the green was the track i downloaded with the straight line route, the magenta is the converted track to route along with the straight line route

Attachments

• Untitled 1.jpg
    Untitled 1.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Lee, does your BaseCamp version export OK to your Garmin device? Ie. Without any straight line(s).

Reportedly, the XT2 has done away with Bluetooth file sharing, in favour of some Garmin app or other.

SD card transfer should still be possible, I guess?

You can send routes between phones, upload them to individual sat navs that way if the sat navs won't talk to each other.

Lee, I have just noticed that your BaseCamp screenshot route, looks a very different shape to the one offered up by MyRoute.

I’ll try it in Pocket Earth, too…..

A dead straight line:

IMG_4091.png

Odd as Pocket Earth is usually very good at dealing with junk.

Last edited:
I am not sure that addresses the OP’s straight line problems.

:beerjug:
it seems like i skipped ahed to the transfer of routes :oops:

I have had this incident before. If the route is correct in MRA then i usually delete it from the nav and re-send it, which seems to fix it.

If this still does not work, i'd check the number of way points as i know Garmin has a limit on what it can take per route.

Richard i downloaded the file from this thread, uploaded it to mra and then downloaded it to my desktop as a track and route, converted the track in basecamp to a route and its identical to the mra one infact the mra track is under the converted route. i have not uploaded the route to my zumo as yet. but will do, but with only a start and finish it will use my settings to plot the route as you will know.

Attachments

• Untitled4.jpg
    Untitled4.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
well i get the mileage of the uploaded route from this thread as 294.5 miles and the converted route of mine is 295 miles. so close enough.

Does the Nav 6 have that capability like the XT2?
I would just look but my unit is en route to Garmin for replacement number four.
Hi Bill yes i believe it does, fairly certain i have had a route sent to my Nav6 from my friends XT

Reportedly, the XT2 has done away with Bluetooth file sharing, in favour of some Garmin app or other.

SD card transfer should still be possible, I guess?
Ah Bugger didnt know that! Yes SD card could be an alternative

I see Lee, that your version of the route has a distinct bulge at the bottom to the west, whereas my MyRoute version has a bulge to the east.

IMG_5090.pngIMG_5091.png

I guess that is down to nothing more than routing preferences. MyRoute has taken the fellow down the motorway at the end. Your version has probably routed the fellow away from the motorway.

My honest conclusions are:

A. It is a very long route to have no shaping or viapoints in it to nail it down.

B. The file in the opening post does work, we are perhaps just a bit unsure as to what the route is meant to look like.

C. Some user error is possibly creeping in, when the file gets bounced around different softwares and devices.

D. Straight lines often means:

1. A lack of data, the device being unable to snap the route onto any known roads.

2. Different maps; sometimes even just the base map is being used.

3. Something else.

:beerjug:

Last edited:
Richard could it be the map in mra that you used is not the one i used, as you know i do not use mra a geat deal, so i could well be doing something wrong.
Or maybe some random gremlins.

Richard could it be the map in mra that you used is not the one i used, as you know i do not use mra a geat deal, so i could well be doing something wrong.
Or maybe some random gremlins.

Very possibly, Lee.

I cannot access BaseCamp at the moment and have been using MyRoute a lot anyway.

it would be interesting to see a screen shot of the correctly planned route, just to see how we differ from it,

Back
Top Bottom