Best place to pick up switched Live

JON12A

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking to fit some spotlights to the 1150 GSA. Hoping to use a PDM60 or similar power box..
To trigger the relay it requires a switched live as well as a live and earth connection to the battery. Where is the best and easiest place to pick up the switched live ? (ie a live that turns of with the ignition).
Also is the alternator ok with the extra draw spotlights will use ?.
Thanks for any help.

anything that goes live , avoid ecu and abs wires , you could use rr brake switch power , side lights if they come on with key , not a switch , or trigger off dip or main , depending when you want them on. OR a separate switch ?

or this if there is room in your f/box

someone else will be along to say don't do what i do .

use your brain don't put a pigtail in a lower rated fuse than you need , think of the wiring you want to draw current from , it needs to have some slack in the circuit .

For the trigger wire I used the sidelight as it was easy to get to; others have used the rear light feed.

if you use a thunderbox, you can go straight to battery (or a switched live if you have to), but the unit drains very very ittle when connected.

I've used the instrument lighting circuit with no problems. Ie one of the feeds to a bulb in a dial.
Or, for switching with the full beam circuit, the full beam warning bulb.

See I wasn't paying attention and thought it was a 1200gs. Typical Saturday morning then lol.
OK then I'm going for break light or indicator as previously said.

Thanks for the input boys . Keep your eye out for smoke rising from W Yorkshire . Ill let you know how I went on.

Just be aware if you use the sidelights as a feed you will get power with the ignition switch in the steering locked & sidelight on position

Back
Top Bottom