Bike not running right up date.

EricGS

Reaction score
In case anyone has a simular problem to mine in the future I thought I'd let you all know what the story was with my MY00 R 1150 GS.

Around three weeks ago I filled up at a garage on the naas road. Strate away the bike ran wrong. She was thicking over just about and when I drove her through the revs she spluttered up the road with very little power.

I dropped it into Joe Duffy's that day and they drained the tank. They check the plugs and found them to have burned badly. Said it could have been the bad fuel that did it.

Anyway she ran right for about half an hour after that and then was back to the spluttering and chockin out.

I checked everything I could myself but hadn't any ideas.

I dropped her into joe Duffy's again and they rang me later today to tell me what the story was.

The fuel injectors where nackarded, and the fuel pump needed replacing. Once again they said they think it may have been the bad fuel that did them in.

So in a nut sell. Since putting the fuel in I have had the Spark plugs changed, oil and filter changed, Air filter changed, Valve clearance checked and adjusted, a new fuel pump and new fuel injectures.

Turns out that it was an expensive fill that day. :blast

On a happier note she now is fitted with an adventure beak. :D

Thanks to everyone that gave me advise on other possable causes. :thumb

if it really was bad fuel there will be many other people with problems and you need to claim the repairs from the fuel station. It has happened many times before and is usually successful.

Fuel pump and injectors because of poor fuel? Burnt spark plugs?

Sorry - call me cynical, but.............tosh. Utter tosh.

Somebody explain to a simple engineer like meself how 'poor fuel' can wreck a pump and injectors.

Fuel pump and injectors because of poor fuel? Burnt spark plugs?

Sorry - call me cynical, but.............tosh. Utter tosh.

Somebody explain to a simple engineer like meself how 'poor fuel' can wreck a pump and injectors.

Thought that myself but I'm no machanic or an engineer so I just put down what the BMW lads told me.

She was running very bad and their the experts. :nenau

The parts may well have been on their way out and the fuel helped them along. I don't know for sure but she didn't run right from the minute I put the fuel into her. I just have to trust the BMW machanics as I know no more about it myself.
I'll be collecting the bike later on today so I'll ask them a bit more about it.

how did they test the injectors ?

you can clean them if they're just dirty

No idea. Left the bik with them yesterday and they rang me to say that the injectors where damaged. That they where €100 to replace plus labour then on top of that.

Thats all I know. :blast

tell me which station it was so i can avoid. I use that road a lot.......

As you head for the Curragh from the M50 it's the Second Garage on the left I think. It's Green in colour and is in a lay bye. You have to leave the main road to access it. It's just after an Esso which is on a bend. Not sure of the name but I think it's just discount fuels or something like that. When I'm out that way again I'll get the name of the place.

never seen injectors go cos of bad fuel? nor a pump?the fuel must av been very dirty to wreck a pump?
sounds like they threw parts at it till it ran ok

if it really was bad fuel there will be many other people with problems and you need to claim the repairs from the fuel station. It has happened many times before and is usually successful.

No idea how you'd go about showing for sure it was the garages fault. I don't even have a receipt for the fuel I bought that day.

:blast

No idea how you'd go about showing for sure it was the garages fault. I don't even have a receipt for the fuel I bought that day.

:blast

pay the bill an forget it then,. no bill , no proof, chalk it up to experience:comfort

Avoid

Sounds like the dealers need avoiding as well as the petrol stn!
Dave GS.

Both my daughters filled up in ashbourne last friday and both car's stopped at the same time :(. Had the cares recovered to where i work and informed the fuel station and what i suspected.I inspected the cars with the recovery guy present and sure enough both had contaminated fuel(a black heavy fluid)
One car which was drained and a new fuel filter fitted that day which was fine. The other car which stood till monday had to have a new fuel pump as it siezed. The garage picked up the bill and because i rang them only had one other car affected. Was told they had just had a delivery that morning.

Got the bikie ack there today. Runing better then ever.

Asked them exactly what was the problem and they said the left hand injector had a fault and needed replacing. Could have been on it's way out for some time and just happened to go when I filled up that day. I had asked them to do the Valve clearance and the fuel filter as I did think they had been done in a while and they fitted the Adventure Beak. Love the look of it. :aidan

Happy out with a healthy bike again. :thumb

Asked them exactly what was the problem and they said the left hand injector had a fault and needed replacing. Could have been on it's way out for some time and just happened to go when I filled up that day. I had asked them to do the Valve clearance and the fuel filter as I did think they had been done in a while and they fitted the Adventure Beak. Love the look of it. :aidan

good news:beerjug:

who did your work eric?ive been debatin on the beak for my machine,

Back
Top Bottom