Bmw used approved warranty

clutchspring

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi , can some one in the know please put me straight, i went to look at a very nice 1200 gs a couple of days ago at a bmw dealer and the bike comes with a 2 year used approved warranty.
I ask the salesman when the last service was done and he said 2 December 2023 at 9094 miles and it wouldn't need another service till December 2024 ! .
So I'm thinking that's wrong because in less than 3 thousand miles it should have the 12 thousand mile service which includes the valve check !.( unless the mileage doesn't get to 1200 mile which it probably would be due on December 2024) but as I do a few miles a year I'm going to get to the 1200 mile quite quickly.
Also I was given the big sell when the sales man implied that bmw like you to have it serviced at a bmw dealer because if you don't and have a engine problem I could have trouble with a claim and I have been put off some what from no actually buying that bike .

Last edited:
You should service it every 12 months/6k miles - which ever comes sooner. You do not have to use an approved dealer so long as a dealer is VAT registered & uses genuine parts (as far as i know - i may be wrong/caveats to this).

The Bikes have a 6k service interval, don't think it means every 6k miles per the odometer. As it could have had an interim service/short service when taken into the BMW stock/part ex. if it was last serviced at 9k - ask what service was completed. So you know if the next one is a major (with valve clearance check, final drive oil, air filter change) or if its a minor where its only oil & filter. Either way the next service is due in 6k at 15k miles,

You have not been misled by the sales person. Of course BMW likes you to use a dealer for servicing. You do not have to but you would have to get proof that any service is done to BMW standards using recommended parts if making a warranty claim. A dealer service history can mean a goodwill gesture once out of warranty.
As for the service interval. Again, you have been told the correct thing. Service intervals are once a year or every 6000 miles. Therefore the next service is due in Dec 2024 or at 15094 miles. You would need to check the invoice for the service, but a dealer will often ask if you want a certain item included in the annual service based on a time interval not mileage.

You have not been misled by the sales person. Of course BMW likes you to use a dealer for servicing. You do not have to but you would have to get proof that any service is done to BMW standards using recommended parts if making a warranty claim. A dealer service history can mean a goodwill gesture once out of warranty.
As for the service interval. Again, you have been told the correct thing. Service intervals are once a year or every 6000 miles. Therefore the next service is due in Dec 2024 or at 15094 miles. You would need to check the invoice for the service, but a dealer will often ask if you want a certain item included in the annual service based on a time interval not mileage.
Thank you for your reply wessie . But I'm still confused as to how the bmw service intervals work, so you are saying that every 6000 miles from the last service or 1 service annually.
Sorry if I'm being a bit thick,
Thanks,
Ian.

Thank you for your reply wessie . But I'm still confused as to how the bmw service intervals work, so you are saying that every 6000 miles from the last service or 1 service annually.
Thanks,
Ian.

yes, the date and mileage of the most recent service is the reference point. The next service is due at whichever occurs first, 12 months or 6000 miles later. If you are only having annual services then you resort to pragmatism in relation to things due at a specific mileage e.g. ask for a 12k service at 9000 miles (hence the advice above to check what was covered on the bike you are looking at) or give the dealer a list of things to do. It is really not something to get into a tizzy about as the service intervals are not written on tablets of stone by a deity.
This has been my practice owning a 2016 R1200RS from new that has only covered 30,000 miles (not my only bike in that time). Some years I have done 7000 miles, others a lot less such as in lockdown or during 2022 when I mostly used my S1000XR for touring. The RS did not get any service in 2022 due to lack of use. I had it serviced last spring after selling the XR and the RS became my main touring bike again. It will get another service in May before I go away again. My dealer (Cotswold) has always been pretty good in saying, "you had this last time so we suggest you have this service and add this based on time or mileage."

Thanks,
Ian.

yes. 6k miles or 12 months - whichever comes soonest.

Eg if you rode 6k miles in the next 3 months you'd need to service it. If you then only covered 3k miles in the next 12 months, you'd need to service it as 12 months has expired, not 6k miles.

Thanks DJ123 , that's the sort of response I wanted , looks like I over thought the maintenance schedule intervals :eek:
Thanks,
Ian.

yes, the date and mileage of the most recent service is the reference point. The next service is due at whichever occurs first, 12 months or 6000 miles later. If you are only having annual services then you resort to pragmatism in relation to things due at a specific mileage e.g. ask for a 12k service at 9000 miles (hence the advice above to check what was covered on the bike you are looking at) or give the dealer a list of things to do. It is really not something to get into a tizzy about as the service intervals are not written on tablets of stone by a deity.
This has been my practice owning a 2016 R1200RS from new that has only covered 30,000 miles (not my only bike in that time). Some years I have done 7000 miles, others a lot less such as in lockdown or during 2022 when I mostly used my S1000XR for touring. The RS did not get any service in 2022 due to lack of use. I had it serviced last spring after selling the XR and the RS became my main touring bike again. It will get another service in May before I go away again. My dealer (Cotswold) has always been pretty good in saying, "you had this last time so we suggest you have this service and add this based on time or mileage."
Thanks wessie very well explained,
Ian.

You do not have to use an approved dealer so long as a dealer is VAT registered & uses genuine parts (as far as i know - i may be wrong/caveats to this).
I believe you are wrong about this. The 'Block Exception' legislation which allows vehicle owners to have their vehicles serviced at non franchise workshops (given certain terms and conditions) does NOT apply to motorcycles.

I also believe that to maintain the 'Approved Warranty' you MUST use a BMW Motorrad dealer

Mike

I believe you are wrong about this. The 'Block Exception' legislation which allows vehicle owners to have their vehicles serviced at non franchise workshops (given certain terms and conditions) does NOT apply to motorcycles.

I also believe that to maintain the 'Approved Warranty' you MUST use a BMW Motorrad dealer

Mike
Mike that link doesn't seem to be working

Hi , can some one in the know please put me straight, i went to look at a very nice 1200 gs a couple of days ago at a bmw dealer and the bike comes with a 2 year used approved warranty.
I ask the salesman when the last service was done and he said 2 December 2023 at 9094 miles and it wouldn't need another service till December 2024 ! .
So I'm thinking that's wrong because in less than 3 thousand miles it should have the 12 thousand mile service which includes the valve check !.( unless the mileage doesn't get to 1200 mile which it probably would be due on December 2024) but as I do a few miles a year I'm going to get to the 1200 mile quite quickly.
Also I was given the big sell when the sales man implied that bmw like you to have it serviced at a bmw dealer because if you don't and have a engine problem I could have trouble with a claim and I have been put off some what from no actually buying that bike .
just a note about the used warranty, check what is covered.
5 months after purchasing a 20 plate r1250rs the battery failed and after calling the main dealer where i purchased it was told 'batteries are not covered' fair enough if that was in the terms, how about a little goodwill? 'no, not on a battery'
not a great first time experience on my first BMW.

The one part that you want covered is the exhaust flapper valve. But the exhaust is not covered.

Back
Top Bottom