Canada on the cheap-ish

diplomaticdanny

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not that I’m tight or anything, I just see it as the cheaper we can do it, the more we can do.

Up earlier than usual this morning (Friday 13th) to catch a 7:50am National Express to Heathrow, although the coach stop is only a 10 minute walk from home we still managed to miss it! My fault for one leaving my electric toothbrush on my bathroom chair running back for it and not reading the ticket properly and going to the wrong coach stop. Luckily my wife’s brother wasn’t working till this afternoon so gave us a lift, almost ran out of petrol on the motorway because the first place we diverted to was shut. Then after eventually getting to terminal 2 I managed to smack my wife round the head with a luggage tray at security in my haste to get our bags back.

Didn’t want to pay extra to choose seats on the flight so had to wait till 24 hours before to get them free, obviously a lot less choice by then especially because the flight was full, I picked the last row 64J & 64K which actually worked out really well, just two seats window & aisle, quite a big gap between us and the middle row and although the last row, they reclined as much as the others. First time with Air Canada and after joining a facebook group a few months ago I was a little bit worried because of the amount of negative posts about service, food, luggage etc, our experience was really good, the food was (not quite up to Mike O/s standard on his last flight) very good, especially the chicken teriyaki. Not only the seats though, we didn’t want to pay £60 each way to check a suitcase so we’re doing a 3 week road trip with hand luggage only, more on that later.

Attachments

• IMG_7624.jpeg
    IMG_7624.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_7633.jpeg
    IMG_7633.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_7632.jpeg
    IMG_7632.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_7647.jpeg
    IMG_7647.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7630.jpeg
    IMG_7630.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7631.jpeg
    IMG_7631.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_7644.jpeg
    IMG_7644.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7634.jpeg
    IMG_7634.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 83
My wife dragging our hand luggage up the road while I run back for my toothbrush.

Attachments

• IMG_7615.jpeg
    IMG_7615.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 88
916c2d7d96ed4a45b177462b69b159d5.jpg

Wow, exquisite hand turned cutlery ! Is that maple or beech ?

Arrived at Vancouver airport 20 minutes late which meant we were cutting it really fine to get into the city and collect our hire car before they shut at 5:30. It was £100 cheaper for the 22 days to pick up a car in the city as opposed to the airport, I’d booked a Ford Edge for the grand total of £524 for 22 days, less than £24 a day. Even though we were at the very back of the plane we still managed to get off, get through customs, get on the Canada Line train and walk the last 10 minutes to Sixt by 5:20, phew. After refusing all the extras they were trying to sell me, they still upgraded us to a BMW X5, slightly less ugly than that X6 Mike O had.

Attachments

• IMG_7653.jpeg
    IMG_7653.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 112
Wow, exquisite hand turned cutlery ! Is that maple or beech ?
'Airline Woke cutlery' (I'm sure there's a French translation for that,, it being Air Canada).....and it will be from a selection of 'SFP' (Canadian lumber term for Spruce, Fir of Pine) - but Maple was an intelligent jibe!

@diplomaticdanny

you forgot to mention the various taxes that were added to your base car quotation - that always hurts (as will your fill-ups - but not as much as they are going to hurt Arsey and his planned campervan excursion to the same region...).

Enjoy your visit and hopefully, you can take on some of Vancouver Island via B.C. Ferries...

Last edited:
You moan about Air Canada?

Think yourself lucky that you didn't choose to fly with Play (as a mate of mine, currently in Ontario, did!)

'Airline Woke cutlery' (I'm sure there's a French translation for that,, it being Air Canada).....and it will be from a selection of 'SFP' (Canadian lumber term for Spruce, Fir of Pine) - but Maple was an intelligent jibe!

@diplomaticdanny

you forgot to mention the various taxes that were added to your base car quotation - that always hurts (as will your fill-ups - but not as much as they are going to hurt Arsey and his planned campervan excursion to the same region...).

Enjoy your visit and hopefully, you can take on some of Vancouver Island via B.C. Ferries...
All in £524 for 23 days.

Today was always planned as a walking trip around Vancouver, an hour from our hotel to the Seabus to get across the Burrard Inlet, from there we walked all the way south to Granville Island, passing various landmarks including the worlds biggest pendulum. The selfie guy is apparently known to David Tennant as the bearded doctor as they met in Victoria and discussed a screenplay he had written.

Attachments

• IMG_7668.jpeg
    IMG_7668.jpeg
    281.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7676.jpeg
    IMG_7676.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_7681.jpeg
    IMG_7681.jpeg
    240.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7665.jpeg
    IMG_7665.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7685.jpeg
    IMG_7685.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 62
Some nice street lights and an old car, just trying to work out how to post larger images from my iPad, any tips gratefully received.

Attachments

• IMG_7707.jpeg
    IMG_7707.jpeg
    240 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7708.jpeg
    IMG_7708.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 79
Cheap holidays are good if you want to extend the duration by reducing your daily budget. If I’m away on a 2 week solo bike tour I often decide to reduce my expenditure by not riding the bike for a day a couple of times during the holiday. I then mess things up by spending the money saved on petrol on beer instead but these things are sent to test our mental fortitude :beerjug:

Enjoy your holiday :thumb2

Cheap holidays are good if you want to extend the duration by reducing your daily budget. If I’m away on a 2 week solo bike tour I often decide to reduce my expenditure by not riding the bike for a day a couple of times during the holiday. I then mess things up by spending the money saved on petrol on beer instead but these things are sent to test our mental fortitude :beerjug:

Enjoy your holiday :thumb2

That’s a genius idea . Go away on a bike trip then don’t use it . Wapping will love this

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Thetwatcantalk

That’s a genius idea . Go away on a bike trip then don’t use it . Wapping will love this

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Thetwatcantalk

Having a day off isn’t something I deliberately factor into solo trips, my wife prefers to ride somewhere then have 2 nights so she can see a few sights then ride another day and do the same again but it’s not for me and it’s more often a case of the weather forecast being shit so just leave the bike at the hotel and visit a few bars and restaurants. Sometimes I’ll even use it to get a few clothes washed but that’s only if I’ve either extended the trip and don’t have enough for the duration or it was always going to be more days than clean clothes :D

cool stuff

jealous as you got AC as we got bumped to omni using 767s at this time of year (apparently its a lottery whether you get air canada or omni) rather than them french planes

gas was a pound a litre in ON last month

Back
Top Bottom