City Navigator® Morocco NT - worth 100USD?

So, it appeared I could not get round the "corruption" that was caused my installing these Garmin Morocco maps on my GPS along with the Olaf maps and the Europe maps that came pre installed on the machine.

I always got a message saying "no routable maps found and the Nuvi can not function without them", the device was "stuck".

I spent hours in internet cafe's and using people's laptops, and managed to install the Morocco maps which seemed quite useful for cities. In Marrakech, a lot of little streets appeared. But as soon as you were out of the big cities, it only had main "N" roads (routes nationales).

Whenever I tried to add Olaf's maps, the device got stuck again.

Now I'm faced with the fact that I can not restore the Europe maps. My.garmin.com tells me I have to purchase some kind of upgrade to be allowed to download and install the original maps again.

Long story short, it was all pretty useless; probably in part due to my device being a cheapo Nuvi (255).

So, it appeared I could not get round the "corruption" that was caused my installing these Garmin Morocco maps on my GPS along with the Olaf maps and the Europe maps that came pre installed on the machine.

I always got a message saying "no routable maps found and the Nuvi can not function without them", the device was "stuck".

I spent hours in internet cafe's and using people's laptops, and managed to install the Morocco maps which seemed quite useful for cities. In Marrakech, a lot of little streets appeared. But as soon as you were out of the big cities, it only had main "N" roads (routes nationales).

Whenever I tried to add Olaf's maps, the device got stuck again.

Now I'm faced with the fact that I can not restore the Europe maps. My.garmin.com tells me I have to purchase some kind of upgrade to be allowed to download and install the original maps again.

Long story short, it was all pretty useless; probably in part due to my device being a cheapo Nuvi (255).

Very strange, I've never had any issues with the Olaf map, just add it and install it. Only issue as I have an Zumo500 without much internal memory, it disapears everytime I update the maps, but then I just add it again (when needed).

If you stil have your original DVD from Garmin you should be able to install the base maps again, which will overwrite the maps currently installed on the device.

Casper

Hi, I've got the same issue--I have the European maps and the Olaf map on my Zumo. I bought the Garmin Morocco map because I don't find non-routable maps very useful (I've got paper maps for that...).

So when I try to download the Morocco map onto my device, it says it will overwrite an existing file, but it doesn't say which one--the Europe map or the Olaf map? If it overwrites the Europe map, can anyone CONFIRM that I can reinstall the Europe map from the DVD? (I don't want to put the map on SD card because I keep music on SD cards...).

Yes, this is the same problem. I have not yet been able to find my DVD. When you go to my.garmin.com there is a link to "unlock" your current maps (which should include the Europe maps) before you can reinstall them. To perform this unlock you need various codes, I've used all the ones I could find without luck.

So right now - no, I have not yet been able to restore my GPS device

So the morocco map overwrites the europe map? That's not very helpful. Supposedly if you copy all of the files from the Zumo to your computer before installing it, you can copy them (including the Europe map) back later, but I'm a little dubious...

I hate Garmin and their freaking unlock codes, every time I buy a map it takes several phones calls to get them installed, I don't know why I bother...

TMR

You've never installed the Olaf maps? I always thought these were causing the problem but maybe that's not even the case.

I have installed the Olaf maps, but am trying to figure out which file the Morocco maps overwrites, because Garmin in its genius doesn't tell you--only that some unidentified file is overwritten. When you said you couldn't re-install your Europe map, I thought that Morocco overwrote Europe...

FYI, finally got through to Garmin (after a looong wait), and they said that the Morocco map will NOT over-write the pre-loaded Europe map, so I guess I will see what happens. Another alternative is to download it to SD, and if I don't like having it on SD I can re-download the map from their website directly onto my Zumo. If anyone cares, I'll try to keep you posted on progress.

FYI, I was able to install the Garmin map on my Zumo (apparently it overwrote the Olaf map) and install the Olaf map on SD card, so I should be all set.

Still trying to fix my GPS. I have the original box in front of where the "package contents" confirms there is no DVD.

Now I find out I can't even download or use Mapsource if you don't have a previous version. I was using Roadtrip on Mac before, which seems useless for trying to fix my GPS.

So to sum things up: I spend over 100 euro on Morocco maps, which corrupt my GPS, I'm unable to restore the Europe maps which I bought along with the device, there is no restore DVD and I can't even install Mapsource to manage the device software because of this!

Only solution: illegally download the required torrents.

Great work Garmin!

Still trying to fix my GPS. I have the original box in front of where the "package contents" confirms there is no DVD.

Now I find out I can't even download or use Mapsource if you don't have a previous version. I was using Roadtrip on Mac before, which seems useless for trying to fix my GPS.

So to sum things up: I spend over 100 euro on Morocco maps, which corrupt my GPS, I'm unable to restore the Europe maps which I bought along with the device, there is no restore DVD and I can't even install Mapsource to manage the device software because of this!

Only solution: illegally download the required torrents.

Great work Garmin!

You can download and install mapsource without a previous installation being present :thumb

I found these instructions earlier and followed all the steps. When I try to launch Mapsource I get an error that says

"Mapsource could not find any installed Mapsource map products. Please install one or more Mapsource map products and start Mapsource again" and the program just quits.

So, how do I "install Mapsource map products"?

In my.garmin.com I am able to download the Morocco maps again but where it says "nüMaps Onetime™ City Navigator® Europe NT 2011 " (-> what I'm trying to restore) it just says "Buy Download". Same for " nüMaps Lifetime™ Europe ". The former is 50 quid, the latter 99 quid.

It seems I no longer have the "right" to freely access the maps that came with my device?

EDIT - ok I managed to restore the Garmin Morocco maps to my device. But I'm still unable to launch Mapsource (see error message above). For the Europe maps I guess I'll have to pay again or try a torrent download.

I found these instructions earlier and followed all the steps. When I try to launch Mapsource I get an error that says

"Mapsource could not find any installed Mapsource map products. Please install one or more Mapsource map products and start Mapsource again" and the program just quits.

So, how do I "install Mapsource map products"?

In my.garmin.com I am able to download the Morocco maps again but where it says "nüMaps Onetime™ City Navigator® Europe NT 2011 " (-> what I'm trying to restore) it just says "Buy Download". Same for " nüMaps Lifetime™ Europe ". The former is 50 quid, the latter 99 quid.

It seems I no longer have the "right" to freely access the maps that came with my device?

EDIT - ok I managed to restore the Garmin Morocco maps to my device. But I'm still unable to launch Mapsource (see error message above). For the Europe maps I guess I'll have to pay again or try a torrent download.

So, contrary to your previous post
and I can't even install Mapsource to manage the device software because of this!

You HAVE actually managed to install mapsource......its just the maps you haven't added yet :)

Google is your friend....go have a look at how to add map image files to Mapsource and all will be revealed ;)

So, contrary to your previous post

You HAVE actually managed to install mapsource......its just the maps you haven't added yet :)

Google is your friend....go have a look at how to add map image files to Mapsource and all will be revealed ;)

I installed Mapsource in the sense that there is a shortcut to the program on my desktop, but I can not access / enter the program due to the aforementioned error message. The error is all I see and the program quits.

The Morocco maps were installed via my.garmin.com using the browser plugin, so the map came from the Garmin site directly to my device. No local software used.

I'm googling around but I'm pretty sure my Mapsource is unusable.

Thanks for all the support and sorry to keep going on and on about this :)

Mapsource is working correctly, and will close as soon as it finds it has no info (maps) to display.......

If you're after just being able to get Olaf's topo maps up on the screen in mapsource, go get his executable file and run in on your computer, THEN open mapsource an you'll see the maps.

Plug your GPS into the pc, or the sd card or whatever you have, and see what you can retrieve...depending on what sort it is, set it as an additional HD and just copy everything into a folder to play with...even witohut the DVD/CD, you can install it in mapsource (then re-upload to GPS again) as long as you can find the image files, I forget what their extension is now :blast

Otherwise, as you say, the image files are readily available if you so chose :augie

Alright, an (expensive) call to Garmin fixed the problem, they let me redownload the EU maps.

Even though they said I should "back up your Morocco gmapsupp.img file first cause it will be overwritten by the EU file" (and I did this), the EU and Morocco maps now sit side by side on the device. They could not really explain what went wrong initially.

Anyway, problem solved just in time for a trip this weekend :thumb2

I'm just back from a trip to Morocco with the Garmin map, and thought I would post my impressions:

1) BOTTOM LINE: This map is almost a complete waste of money for the reasons outlined below.

2) TOWNS MISSING: Many rather major towns are simply missing from Garmin's map. Not "missing" as in no detailed treatment, but missing as in you are not able to route via these towns. Such towns include Tourandannt, Ouarazazte, Merzouga, Ouazzane, etc. (while you don't need a Garmin to find these places, it is handy to either be able to route to them or use them as via points).

3) MAJOR ROUTES: While most of the paved roads seem to be on the map, their locations are not accurately reflected, so that your location is shown off of the route, and every 2-5 minutes the route is recalculated. Mainly just annoying...

4) TOWN MAPS: Most towns are not covered, and what is covered does is not covered very accurately. Marrakech, Fez, and Tanger seems to be OK, but places like al Jadida, Safi, and Ouarzazate are either missing entirely or very inaccurate.

5) FEW HOTELS: Very few hotels listed, even in major cities, and the ones that are listed are rather random. Tim Cullis' hotel waypoints were much more useful.

If I had to do it over again, I would not get this map. I also had Olaf, and with few exceptions didn't rely need his map either, although I was on pavement most of the time, and the few pistes I went on were pretty easy to follow (not much opportunity to get lost).

What did this map do? Well, I guess it made it a little bit easier to get in/out of the port in Tanger, although it is hardly necessary for this. Once when I was low on fuel it confirmed that there were some gas stations up ahead. I think that is about it, frankly.

Back
Top Bottom