Clutch refitting/Balance points

VAL. H.

Thrower of cats at pigeons
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
1989 R80 Mono.

According to the Haynes manual, the three main parts of the clutch assembly are marked at their heavy point. I'm expecting the new parts to be marked on their arrival. However, My flywheel does not have any marking that I can find. I guess the paint has worn off over the years. Is it simply a case of the heavy point being between the two timing mark tabs, or is it more complicated and I'll be in for some fun trying to work it out?

Also, a special grease (the name of which escapes me right now) is recommended for use at certain points in reassembly. Is it some sort of dry grease, or can Copper slip be used instead? Buying a whole tube of something I'm only going to be using a few smears of irks a little. I do have a tube of 'Optimoly Paste TA' high temp grease 1100c Any good???

Val

Optimoly will be better than copper slip. If you were close by I'd pop round and smear some on for you (ooo-err! :oops: :)). Maybe you have a friend nearby?

I don't think you need worry too much about the balance mark of the flywheel. You have a simple choice: reassemble using the new parts (you will be lucky if they are marked) best you can; or take the whole lot off and your crank and send them away for dynamic balancing. If you are lucky you took a picture of where the flywheel was in relation to the marked-up old bits and you can do the best you can with the new parts if they are marked. But Sod's Law is you'll have no visual clues. I seem to think modern reputable parts are pretty well balanced anyway. I know what I would do.

Optimoly will be better than copper slip. If you were close by I'd pop round and smear some on for you (ooo-err! :oops: :)). Maybe you have a friend nearby?

I don't think you need worry too much about the balance mark of the flywheel. You have a simple choice: reassemble using the new parts (you will be lucky if they are marked) best you can; or take the whole lot off and your crank and send them away for dynamic balancing. If you are lucky you took a picture of where the flywheel was in relation to the marked-up old bits and you can do the best you can with the new parts if they are marked. But Sod's Law is you'll have no visual clues. I seem to think modern reputable parts are pretty well balanced anyway. I know what I would do.
Hmm, Didn't take a photo. But did make sure the flywheel was at TDC (TO) through the little round window (didn't have an arched one). Unlikely to be going down the crank out dynamic balancing route either. Can't get the engine out. Front mounting rod seized. I suppose I could fit the clutch and run the engine up without the friction plate and gearbox fitted, to see if it vibrates too much.....

Val.

I really wouldn’t lose any sleep over the clutch unit all being in balance, you won’t notice any difference. 😄

Had just my clutch parts dynamically balanced didn't need to do crank . Made a massive differance cost £40

Had just my clutch parts dynamically balanced didn't need to do crank . Made a massive differance cost £40
Where did you go to get the balancing done?

I asked Mwrks. They said all the parts are already balanced, and indeed have drilling marks to show this. However they also have painted marks to show the (I presume) heavy points.

I asked Mwrks. They said all the parts are already balanced, and indeed have drilling marks to show this. However they also have painted marks to show the (I presume) heavy points.
They are balanced "neer enough"

Try not to over think things,:)
The same crank and rods are used from a /7 through to a late GS ,although I guess they have been balanced and matched as as individual components,
When it comes to properly dynamically balancing the crank,rods,pistons,gudgeon pins,flywheel and clutch,
You would be astounded at the amount of metal that’s been removed.
The end result,is on a tuned motor,just brilliant.
But the cost is a bit eye watering.
On a standard motor,just put the clutch together as it comes out of the boxes.

The parts are either balanced or not!
Ignore any marks painted,they mean nothing as none of the individual components have ever been near one another.

Back
Top Bottom