Coast to coast National parks - USA trip - any information?

Snelly55

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am interested in a coast to coast trip across the USA that takes in as many national parks as possible, avoiding highways. Does anyone have any info or suggestions on this? I am happy to take lots of weeks to do this. Course, I can plan one, just wondered if there was anything recognised as similar already?

There is this one I found but I was hoping to go through a more southern latitude!! https://visitusaparks.com/from-coast-to-coast/

======

I have started you a fresh thread and edited your title a little.

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess you might need to start with, how long you plan to be away for. A month, three months, a year? Lots of weeks, is maybe a little vague?

If I were starting such an adventure I’d kick off by locating on a map as many of the national parks as possible *. Google tells me that there are 63, so (depending on time available) I’d maybe whittle that list down. I’d then do something as easy as putting them into Google maps and ask it for routes. It won’t take 63 (or anything like that) in one go but it’ll give you a start.

That would give you the basics, if nothing else. From this, fine tune at leisure.

* I see Wikipedia has done it already:

Along with a handy ‘interactive’ map:

Last edited:
You would need plenty of time, last year, on 4 wheels I did a road trip with the Long haired commander, avoiding highways and taking in Joshua Tree National Park, and some late night stargazing, Tonto National monument, Wupatki National Monument, Grand Canyon East Rim, Petrified Forest National Park, Casa Grande Ruins National Monument.

I still have the routes in MRA that take those in if you are interested, use and abuse as much as you like. They also include other things like PIMA Air and Space Museum, Aircraft Graveyard at AMARG, Giant asteroid crater in Arizona just outside Flagstaff, and the Lowell observatory, and some old Wild West mining ghost town near Phoenix.

Assuming post #3 lists six national parks, that’s under 10% of them. How many weeks do you have in mind OP?

I run Coast to Coast trips in 3 weeks and we take in lots of parks. There are a couple of trip reports in that section.

It totally depends on how long you have got to do the trip as to what you can realistically accomplish.

Assuming post #3 lists six national parks, that’s under 10% of them. How many weeks do you have in mind OP?

First, thanks for whoever turned this into its own post.

I was thinking 4-6 weeks. Maybe start in one of the Carolinas and finish in California.

At first glance, potentially route through the Smoky Mountains, down through Texas, north through New Mexico, head west through Colorado and Utah, skirt Nevada as I have ridden plenty there, catch a bit of Idaho and Oregon before taking it easy through the Rockies past Reno, Taho and Kings Canyon before finishing up in Santa Barbara to complete the trip.

Looks like planning my own has already started.... :)

That said, maybe I should be going through the Northern States? Outside of Illinois and Massachusetts, I don't know them that well.

It’s amazing what an be done, with a bit of effort.

If, in this response, you are not actually being sarcastic, then the answer is yes, it is isn't it?

But working on the reasonable assumption that given previous form, you can't resist the urge to get your usual, sardonic barb in, then the answer is different:

Yes, it is amazing what can be done. In fact I have just finished sorting a May 2024 NC600 ride for 7 friends with all routes, accommodation and sightseeing planned in. Plus a loop from from Rosslare through Kerry, Clare, Galway, Mayo and Sligo for September. And I also managed to plan and execute all the other trips around the US, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal and everywhere else I have been by bike, through the application of "a bit of effort."

In fact, my original post said, "Course, I can plan one, just wondered if there was anything recognised as similar already?" But don't let that stop you from insinuating that everyone who asks a question is a lazy twat bar you, as per usual.

I did at at least move your opening post, rather than have it lost and possibly hijacking someone else’s holiday.

As a plus we now know that ‘Lots of weeks’ is four to six, which will help bods to help you further.

Now relax or you’ll burn out before the Golden State looms on the horizon.

:beerjug:

First, thanks for whoever turned this into its own post.

I was thinking 4-6 weeks. Maybe start in one of the Carolinas and finish in California.

At first glance, potentially route through the Smoky Mountains, down through Texas, north through New Mexico, head west through Colorado and Utah, skirt Nevada as I have ridden plenty there, catch a bit of Idaho and Oregon before taking it easy through the Rockies past Reno, Taho and Kings Canyon before finishing up in Santa Barbara to complete the trip.

Looks like planning my own has already started.... :)

That said, maybe I should be going through the Northern States? Outside of Illinois and Massachusetts, I don't know them that well.

Since you'll be visiting so many NP's first purchase a Pass good for them all. https://store.usgs.gov/2024-annual-pass

A consideration for your start could be to begin nearer Washington DC and head W on Rt 66 to Front Royal VA and Shenandoah NP. The 100 mile ride SW through the Park on Skyline Drive is fairly scenic but slow as the limit is 35mph and (like many NP's) can be congested especially on weekends. There is a toll but your pass covers it. Skyline Drive ends near Staunton and Waynesboro VA, which is also where the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) begins.

The BRP runs SW for 480 miles ending at the Great Smokey National Park. The BRP has no toll. Also there is no commercial traffic and no stop signs or traffic lights. Traffic is generally sparse except for a few sections where it runs close to large towns such as Roanoke, Asheville, etc. It's a well maintained 2 lane road following along the top of the Blue Ridge Mountains, ideal for motorcycles! Speed limit is 45 but I find 50-65 to be more pleasant.
GSNP may be the most visited NP so expect some congestion in that area in the summer, especially weekends. Also I would steer well clear of Cherokee and Gatlinburg, unless you like traffic, crowds and tourist traps. From GSNP you could ride west on the little gray roads to Nashville Tennessee and the Natchez Trace Parkway.

The NTP is similar to the BRP only you'll be out of the mountains so just a pleasant, rolling, rural two-lane park road which runs SW to Natchez Mississippi which is at the border of Louisiana. A short ride across Louisiana puts you in Texas on your way to Big Bend.

After touring all around the west you could return a northern route say Rt 200 from Idaho across Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, across Michigan's Upper Peninsula along Lake Superior, then south through Michigan.

That’s awesome Clifton. Many thanks. I can see a Basecsnp session looming on this. Much appreciated.

You're welcome, Snelly. If you start in the east, working south and west, then north and west up through Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Cali, etc., you'll probably end up in Montana.
I just remembered that last year I posted a ride report here of riding from West Virginia out to western Montana and looping back. I did not take in any National Parks on this ride, however I rode right past the entrances to Yellowstone and Glacier. I'll link that ride report in the chance your return east might route you through some of the areas I rode out and back through. https://www.ukgser.com/community/threads/a-ride-around-north-central-u-s.363278/

Back
Top Bottom