Corrosion on Engine casings / final drive

Dan79

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
My 2010 1200 GS has quite a bit of corrosion on the engine casing and the final drive unit. Im guessing it will cost a small fortune to replace these parts, so i wondered if anyone knows of a company that would be able to prepare & repaint the affected parts?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Cheers

Dan

Dan if you've had it serviced from new at a BM dealer I would be taking it back under warranty even if the warranty has only just run out. They should at least contribute to it.:thumb

Hi
My 2010 1200 GS has quite a bit of corrosion on the engine casing and the final drive unit. Im guessing it will cost a small fortune to replace these parts, so i wondered if anyone knows of a company that would be able to prepare & repaint the affected parts?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Cheers

Dan

Warranty :thumb2:thumb2

2010 GSA, both rocker covers and engine front cover replaced under warrenty at 6K miles, although that was over a year ago. There was no arguement over it, even the dealer was shocked at how bad the corrosion was. No such problems following winter last year so maybe they had a badly coated batch:nenau Take it back and ask them to sort it.

Thanks for the replies. My usually very reasonable Dealer says that BMW will unlikely cover it on warranty. I will challenge them on it. Cheers
Dan

Thanks for the replies. My usually very reasonable Dealer says that BMW will unlikely cover it on warranty. I will challenge them on it. Cheers
Dan

Go to another dealer:rob

If they won't warranty it, you might look into having those parts cleaned, properly prepped and powder coated. That will be the end of the corrosion, at least in those areas.

I've often wondered why BMW doesn't powdercoat these parts to begin with.

Hi,

Had exactly the same issue on my 06 GS, it was tarnished at the bottom and around the bolt holes were I think there was some metal reaction stuff going on. It looked really bad and was annoying me.

Went back to BM - Out of warrenty they wanted I think £280 for the part, quite a sum for stainless bolts, and at least 2 hours to fit it all - Was looking at a bill for around £500 to fix this ...

My options were to follow the details on here and clean it up and re-paint it in situ, essentially DIY - there is a thread for this or consider something else.

In the end I had my local independant strip the thing off, shot blast it, re-paint and laquer it and put it back, plus strainless bolts, they told me it was a tricky job because of the seals behind it - It is essentially the "end" of the engine. - Looks great, cost me £200 in all as part of a service and some other works. -

Sure it's a fair wedge but by the time I had brought paint and materials, stripped it, masked it, treated it etc etc, spent hours on it grovelling on the floor and I have a bad back - it's not that bad.

Am considering a crud catcher or fender extender though, dont want to be doing this again anytime soon.

Hi

Thanks for the further replies. The corrosion on mine is not on the front of the engine but on the side near the oil sight glass, and also on the gearbox casing. Given what has been said above I will ask my BMW dealer to reconsider the warrantly claim.

Hope i can get this problem sorted quickly and easily.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Dan

Yeah, you're probably right. BMW certainly wouldn't want to spend one penny more on these bikes just to give the customer a quality product that stands up to the elements etc.

Seems like I read that the new k1600's are already having the same problem.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Yeah, you're probably right. BMW certainly wouldn't want to spend one penny more on these bikes just to give the customer a quality product that stands up to the elements etc.

Seems like I read that the new k1600's are already having the same problem.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Thats true, its sad that the build quality is not as it used to be, but its the same for most manufacturers. I had a blade that looked about 10yrs old when it was 2.

Once it's fixed, get a Hooton crud catcher, front fender extender and a mudsling. They won't stop the shite splashing up, but will certainly help.:thumb

Back
Top Bottom