Evskij’ & Wifeskij’ week long jaunt to Eifel…

A simple system, that requires just about zero planning is to drive up the Mosel and hang a right over to the Rhine. When you get there, ride in either direction and take a turning back towards the Mosel.

You must take an evening Party Boat, or take one all the way to the Deutsches Eck at Koblenz and back for a relaxing day, especially if the weather is a bit crap.

If you like Pinot Noir, (known as Spätburgunder), head up to the Ahr vally (Ahrtal). Only a small wine region of about 25kms along the Ahr river.
Excellent! Sounds like a good ideas right there. I thank you.

Nice place to go for some dinner Ev or lunch as the posh people say.

Plus a large Cuckoo clock shop if you like that sort of thing and have a lot of cash to spend on one. We are talking thousands for some of them.

https://g.co/kgs/Y1FnN6p

Excellent! Sounds like a good ideas right there. I thank you.
Ah the evening party boat is good fun. No drinking involved ;) Plus Ev might fall off after one.:cool:20230609_192617.jpg20230609_184455.jpg20230609_192557.jpg

Nice place to go for some dinner Ev or lunch as the posh people say.

Plus a large Cuckoo clock shop if you like that sort of thing and have a lot of cash to spend on one. We are talking thousands for some of them.

https://g.co/kgs/Y1FnN6p
Edit:
Thank you Doc, I suspect one of the routes that I have downloaded, would take us there. Need to check.

The route that I have downloaded, indeed would take us very close to St. Gore. So much so that it is simply a matter of moving only one waypoint to make it work. I however suspect we would be there at around 2-3pm if not around 4pm, so might be a tad to late to have a “dinner/lunch”.

IMG_0849.jpeg

I have since, tweaked the route. Thank you, for a suggestion Chris.

Cuckoo clocks, I might have a look at them, but it is unlikely to have any place in our home, without looking out place a bit. Not least the clamor that they create.

Last edited:
EV, from where you live, I am not sure that I’d take the Harwich > Hook of Holland ferry, unless you wanted to make the ferry itself a part of the holiday. The Chunnel or the Dover > Calais ferry, might well be better.

When I met up with Grant, I took the ferry for two reasons:

1. I wanted to meet up with Grant in Holland, close to the Hook. It made more sense than using the Chunnel, then riding upwards (backwards) to meet Grant, before riding downwards again. Similarly, the timings worked better, meeting Grant at around 09;00.

2. I hadn’t used the ferry to Holland since the 80’s, when we used to go to the GP at Assen. It was, if you like, something ‘new’ or reliving my youth.

Don’t get me wrong, the ferry ‘experience’ is good but, from where you / I live, I would only use it if I was aiming to go to the central or north part of Holland and / or across into the north / north west of Germany or up into Denmark. In the same way, it makes very good sense for Grant to use the ferry on his regular runs to London, not least as he lives reasonably close to the Hook and Harwich to Docklands is straight down the A12, getting him into Docklands for the start of the working day.

Likewise, when Grant crosses over the North Sea to Northumberland or Scotland, it makes sense for him to catch a ferry from the Hook to Hull / Newcastle, whereas I (from London E1) would go straight up the A1.

Looked at another way, had Grant lived in say, St Omer and not in Holland, I’d not have taken the Harwich > Hook of Holland ferry, to meet him at 09:00 on the way to Luxembourg.

EV, one tip with MyRoute, especially if using an iPad or phone.

It’s a good idea to lock the waypoints. Why? It is quite easy to knock a waypoint by accident, which moves it. Moving the waypoint, alters the route. I always try to lock them. If I then want to use the route but also want to alter it, I work off a copy.

IMG_4795.jpeg

EV, from where you live, I am not sure that I’d take the Harwich > Hook of Holland ferry, unless you wanted to make the ferry itself a part of the holiday. The Chunnel or the Dover > Calais ferry, might well be better.

When I met up with Grant, I took the ferry for two reasons:

1. I wanted to meet up with Grant in Holland, close to the Hook. It made more sense than using the Chunnel, then riding upwards (backwards) to meet Grant, before riding downwards again. Similarly, the timings worked better, meeting Grant at around 09;00.

2. I hadn’t used the ferry to Holland since the 80’s, when we used to go to the GP at Assen. It was, if you like, something ‘new’ or reliving my youth.

Don’t get me wrong, the ferry ‘experience’ is good but, from where you / I live, I would only use it if I was aiming to go to the central or north part of Holland and / or across into the north / north west of Germany or up into Denmark. In the same way, it makes very good sense for Grant to use the ferry on his regular runs to London, not least as he lives reasonably close to the Hook and Harwich to Docklands is straight down the A12, getting him into Docklands for the start of the working day.

Likewise, when Grant crosses over the North Sea to Northumberland or Scotland, it makes sense for him to catch a ferry from the Hook to Hull / Newcastle, whereas I (from London E1) would go straight up the A1.

Looked at another way, had Grant lived in say, St Omer and not in Holland, I’d not have taken the Harwich > Hook of Holland ferry, to meet him at 09:00 on the way to Luxembourg.
Thank you Richard for some clarity.

I have read through your ride report from last year and recall at the time you mentioning that the tunnel worked better for those of us living in and around London.

Main reason for booking a boat, is the fact that we would be leaving on Friday evening at around 19:15, this should take us to Harwich in time for boarding check in to commence. It is a mere 94 miles across the top of the M25 and up the A12, with estimated time to travel the distance between, at just under 1:40 minutes. I see it as a leisurely start to the holiday with catching some sleep on the boat and be fresh to roll off into the Dutch flatlands at circa 08:15 on Saturday morning.

Wife did her umming and arring, and she made her choice to leave on Friday night, instead of Saturday morning. She’ll be working from home on Friday as she normally does and I shall likely to be in the workshop rather than out on site, which is 15-20 minutes away from home.

We will blast through Holland on the motorways, then off into the wilderness of North Eifel via back roads to Cochem. A distance from port at Hook is 253 miles, which translates into 7 hour jaunt including strategic break stops.

250ish miles is much preferred by the wife, versus circa 400-450 (depending on route) miles from home to Cochem in one stint, if leaving on Saturday early morning and not loosing a day at a destination, by having to find digs halfway across France or Belgium. Unless we were to ride all the way to Cochem on a motorway. But I suspect that after 300 miles of a 400+ mile jaunt in one day, my pillion would start to get very pissy with me, which I much rather avoid.

We are to be doing Cochem - Home jaunt in one day via the tunnel, but at least the way wife sees it, it’ll be done and over with, she would then have a long bank holiday weekend to rest and recover from the “blasted!” holiday 😂. Whilst I plan on visiting Bike Shed show at tobacco docks, should it be held on same bank holiday weekend, as it had been over the past x amounts of years.

If I was on my own, I’d rather save the cost of the boat, and leave early on Saturday morning… but when girls are involved, I put myself in front a trail of eggshells.

It’s a good idea to lock the waypoints. Why? It is quite easy to knock a waypoint by accident, which moves it. Moving the waypoint, alters the route. I always try to lock them. If I then want to use the route but also want to alter it, I work off a copy.

View attachment 298861
Yes, I have discovered this the hard way. But thank god I was working routes on my Mac and an undo button comes in handy when one does cockup.

I am a novice to MRA. But it’s not hard to figure it out by poking and prodding buttons and tabs.

One question I do have, which I haven’t yet identified a solution for, is this.
How do I get to see all the routes overlayed on a map from say, that are located in a particular trip folder? Is this even possible?

Reason why I want to be able to see this, is to avoid riding same section of road halfway throughout day trips.

Last edited:

View attachment 298861
question? If you don't lock them does that mean others can adjust your own route or does it mean they just adjust their version?
If the former then locking is a very important thing especially if you don't wish for people to change what you have a put a lot of effort into making....

thanks to advise

One question I do have, which I haven’t yet identified a solution for, is this.
How do I get to see all the routes overlayed on a map from say, that are located in a particular trip folder? Is this even possible?

Reason why I want to be able to see this, is to avoid riding same section of road halfway throughout day trips

I have started you a separate thread, EV.

question? If you don't lock them does that mean others can adjust your own route or does it mean they just adjust their version?
If the former then locking is a very important thing especially if you don't wish for people to change what you have a put a lot of effort into making....

thanks to advise
Richard, pardon me for jumping in here.

My uderstanding is such, that if I was to use your route as an example, then I click on “use route” tab, which in turn does save it into my “routes” on my account. Meaning that route becomes my copy to work and edit even if it is locked by you. I just have to unlock it on my side to edit and then lock it, to prevent any waypoint movement by accident. I do not believe that it does affect your route within your account. I might be completely wrong here.

thanks to advise

The original (ie the route you shared) stays unaltered. The recipient is altering ‘their’ version alone.

Richard, pardon me for jumping in here.

My uderstanding is such, that if I was to use your route as an example, then I click on “use route” tab, which in turn does save it into my “routes” on my account. Meaning that route becomes my copy to work and edit even if it is locked by you. I just have to unlock it on my side to edit and then lock it, to prevent any waypoint movement by accident. I do not believe that it does affect your route within your account. I might be completely wrong here.

Exactly so, EV.

Thank you Richard for some clarity.

I have read through your ride report from last year and recall at the time you mentioning that the tunnel worked better for those of us living in and around London.

Main reason for booking a boat, is the fact that we would be leaving on Friday evening at around 19:15, this should take us to Harwich in time for boarding check in to commence. It is a mere 94 miles across the top of the M25 and up the A12, with estimated time to travel the distance between, at just under 1:40 minutes. I see it as a leisurely start to the holiday with catching some sleep on the boat and be fresh to roll off into the Dutch flatlands at circa 08:15 on Saturday morning.

Wife did her umming and arring, and she made her choice to leave on Friday night, instead of Saturday morning. She’ll be working from home on Friday as she normally does and I shall likely to be in the workshop rather than out on site, which is 15-20 minutes away from home.

We will blast through Holland on the motorways, then off into the wilderness of North Eifel via back roads to Cochem. A distance from port at Hook is 253 miles, which translates into 7 hour jaunt including strategic break stops.

250ish miles is much preferred by the wife, versus circa 400-450 (depending on route) miles from home to Cochem in one stint, if leaving on Saturday early morning and not loosing a day at a destination, by having to find digs halfway across France or Belgium. Unless we were to ride all the way to Cochem on a motorway. But I suspect that after 300 miles of a 400+ mile jaunt in one day, my pillion would start to get very pissy with me, which I much rather avoid.

We are to be doing Cochem - Home jaunt in one day via the tunnel, but at least the way wife sees it, it’ll be done and over with, she would then have a long bank holiday weekend to rest and recover from the “blasted!” holiday 😂. Whilst I plan on visiting Bike Shed show at tobacco docks, should it be held on same bank holiday weekend, as it had been over the past x amounts of years.

If I was on my own, I’d rather save the cost of the boat, and leave early on Saturday morning… but when girls are involved, I put myself in front a trail of eggshells.
Looking at Google maps, Calais to Cochem is 521km by shortest route and Hook of Holland to Cochem is 383km.
I don't know the route from Calais through France / Belgium but I guess motorway is motorway although Belgium roads are known for their poor condition including the motorways... What we (Richard and myself) did last time and what we do regularly with our Club is drive motorway all the way down to Eindhoven, stop for coffee at the Fletcher Hotel just off the A2 at Leende, then a further small jaunt down the A2 to Roermond and then start on the scenic roads through North Eifel to the Mosel or Eifel depends which you want.
Agreed, it depends on:
1. how close you are to Harwich for Ferry, UK side
2. What you want to pay for a crossing. Ferry is quite a bit more expensive

but to get to the Eifel / Mosel I would say the distance is probably in the long run about the same. Anyway EV has booked so point is mute now....

Looking at Google maps, Calais to Cochem is 521km by shortest route and Hook of Holland to Cochem is 383km.
I don't know the route from Calais through France / Belgium but I guess motorway is motorway although Belgium roads are known for their poor condition including the motorways... What we (Richard and myself) did last time and what we do regularly with our Club is drive motorway all the way down to Eindhoven, stop for coffee at the Fletcher Hotel just off the A2 at Leende, then a further small jaunt down the A2 to Roermond and then start on the scenic roads through North Eifel to the Mosel or Eifel depends which you want.
Agreed, it depends on:
1. how close you are to Harwich for Ferry, UK side
2. What you want to pay for a crossing. Ferry is quite a bit more expensive

but to get to the Eifel / Mosel I would say the distance is probably in the long run about the same. Anyway EV has booked so point is mute now....
Indeed, it is all booked now. Having found a discount code online (saving of £14.50), our crossing ticket, with a fancy ”comfort” cabin came to just over £203. not the cheapest, but wife hardly slept a wink on our crossing from Portsmouth —> St. Malo in 2017, when I booked an inside cabin. She was worried senseless all night, due to lack of good sense of orientation and should she needed to vacate the cabin in an emergency and in the middle of the night. So an outside cabin with a window is a must from now on.

My VW Polo (picture in this thread) in 2014 on our way to Italy, had developed a near side ABS sensor damage, after I did hit a huge pothole at 80 mph on Belgian concrete motorway. The part was officially discontinued by VW and I replaced 3 of them in the following years with a pattern part. I would’ve not liked to have hit same pothole on a motorcycle.

Last edited:
As you say, Grant, it’s horses for courses. Each has its merits depending on where one starts from. Starting from The Hague, maybe gives less choice?

From Calais, one gets a choice of routes to Cochem. Some motorway (particularly on the run to Brussels, if one went that way) or avoiding motorways entirely and simply crossing across the middle of Belgium on the main roads.

Take a late afternoon Chunnel and stop in St Omer, say. Then, next morning, motorway (or not) to Cambrai. From Cambrai, near enough a straight line across Belgium (via Rochefort) - the roads are OK - to then cross the northern bit of Luxembourg (a bit south of Troisvierges) to continue in an almost straight line to Cochem.

The overnight stop in St Omer, is the same as (if you get my drift) the overnight ferry between Harwich and the Hook.

It’s a bit like me going to the west coast side of France. I might well take the ferry to St Malo from Portsmouth, as opposed to the Chunnel to Calais. You, starting from Holland, wouldn’t take a ferry at all.

:beerjug:

Indeed, it is all booked now. Having found a discount code online (saving of £14.50), our crossing ticket, with a fancy ”comfort” cabin came to just over £203. not the cheapest, but wife hardly slept a wink on our crossing from Portsmouth —> St. Malo in 2017, when I booked an inside cabin. She was worried senseless all night, due to lack of good sense of orientation and should she needed to vacate the cabin in an emergency and in the middle of the night. So an outside cabin with a window is a must from now on.

My VW Polo (picture in this thread) in 2014 on our way to Italy, had developed a near side ABS sensor damage, after I did hit a huge pothole at 80 mph on Belgian concrete motorway. The part was officially discontinued by VW and I replaced 3 of them in the following years with a pattern part. I would’ve not liked to have hit same pothole on a motorcycle.
EV, here's an adaptation of the standard route we take when we head into the Eifel. Will be going in May 17-20th again. We stay close to the border with Luxemburg at a small village called Koerperich but I made some changes. Basically Motorway down to Leende - recommend a stop for a coffee at the hotel - waypoint 2 along the route. Then down through Roermond and the nicer roads to Cochem.
Also worth stopping at the parking spot at waypoint 20. This is a great view over the castle at Cochem. Hope this helps
cheers

IMG_6007.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom