F800R Advice

I have a 2010 Pfeiffer replica which I use for track day instruction. It's done 22000 miles, some of them quite hard ones and as said before it's a bit of a rattley engine but mine hasn't got any worse. I have the usual flakey paint on the sump and this afternoon have just bought a set of steering head bearings for it and it's had one fork seal replaced. Apart from that i have just done normal servicing with oil done at half the service intervals as it lives near the red line on occasion...valve clearances were all in tolerance when checked. I found it sensitive to tyre choice, and run Conti road attacks which grip to angles of lean you probably won't see on the road with excellent stability and wear as well. A cracking little bike, enjoy!

whats the blue mount on the bars? Is it a Quadlock.

No idea.

I have a Wunderlich variable position footpeg lowering kit (50mm)
I only had my F800R for six months so they're in good nick.
Let me know if you want them. BTW, it was a great bike but I moved
it on for another model, no romance involved.

Ta but seemed fine as it is.

I have a 2010 Pfeiffer replica which I use for track day instruction. It's done 22000 miles, some of them quite hard ones and as said before it's a bit of a rattley engine but mine hasn't got any worse. I have the usual flakey paint on the sump and this afternoon have just bought a set of steering head bearings for it and it's had one fork seal replaced. Apart from that i have just done normal servicing with oil done at half the service intervals as it lives near the red line on occasion...valve clearances were all in tolerance when checked. I found it sensitive to tyre choice, and run Conti road attacks which grip to angles of lean you probably won't see on the road with excellent stability and wear as well. A cracking little bike, enjoy!

Ok thanks.
Have you tried Michelin Road 5/6s ?

No idea.

Ta but seemed fine as it is.

Ok thanks.
Have you tried Michelin Road 5/6s ?
No I haven't, when I got it in 2011 it had pilot road ? on and turn in felt horrible so I changed to Metzler but I can't remember now which one with a similar feeling! It just felt like the head bearings were tight or the steering damper was very stiff. I ran it without the steering damper, no change. I stripped the head bearings, no damage, put it all back together no change. At that point I was losing confidence in the front end. Then I road a dealers bike with Contis on which was a different animal so I bought some and the bike was transformed.
I have stuck with Contis ever since because they work so well on my bike.

if he has any more at £2800. I be well interested ...bet you made an offer around £2600 as well !!! superb machines and you will easily get your money back on that

Martin,

You might like to check with the seller, where the luggage mounting bolt is.

I have taken a picture but the forum appears to be unable to load pictures at the moment.

It’s a large (maybe two inches?) mushroom headed bolt, which screws into the front of the rear carrier. You can see the empty bolt hole in your picture.

They are really good motorcycles.

I had one, using it here at home and on Wapping’s Wanders. I sold it to a friend, who was telling me that she now regretted selling it. Mine was all but identical to the one in the picture. Two tips, one of which might not apply.

1. I had the suspension changed to Nitron. Why? I much preferred it, as it gave a firmer ride. This might well not be relevant.

2. If you remove the baffle from the Akrapovic exhaust, it WILL fail a standard German police roadside decibel check. I know this, as I was caught. This was before the local authorities clamped down harder on noise, so I cannot believe it is much better now. If the original baffle / inner pipe has been removed (they were held in with a screw / rivet) buy one on eBay or from Akrapovic.

The engines are bullet proof. The optional ‘clam shell’ luggage is well made and works. I though mostly used mine with the BMW soft bag on the back.

I’d gladly own another. Besides my Honda Blackbird, it is the only bike I half regret selling.

View attachment 279765

I’ll check if he has the baffle.

Edited to add he replied already .
He doesn’t have baffle but he has OE exhaust

No I haven't, when I got it in 2011 it had pilot road ? on and turn in felt horrible so I changed to Metzler but I can't remember now which one with a similar feeling! It just felt like the head bearings were tight or the steering damper was very stiff. I ran it without the steering damper, no change. I stripped the head bearings, no damage, put it all back together no change. At that point I was losing confidence in the front end. Then I road a dealers bike with Contis on which was a different animal so I bought some and the bike was transformed.

I’ll get Contis then . Ta

Martin,

You might like to check with the seller, where the luggage mounting bolt is.

I have taken a picture but the forum appears to be unable to load pictures at the moment.

It’s a large (maybe two inches?) mushroom headed bolt, which screws into the front of the rear carrier. You can see the empty bolt hole in your picture.

What’s is the purpose of this bolt ?

Where is it missing ?

3c9c379aea80197a2a5354d61910740b.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Thetwatcantalk

Last edited:
The bolt’s purpose is twofold.

A. It holds the front of the rear carrier on.

B. It holds the excellent ‘clam shell’ luggage on. Without it, there is no way to attach the luggage.

I’ll send you a picture, Martin.

Ask him what goes into the holes :D

Seriously though, BMW do not leave gapping bolt holes for no purpose. Here’s a zoom in on my bike:

IMG_4345.jpeg

And a couple of pictures from the internet….

IMG_4346.jpeg

IMG_4347.jpegIMG_4348.png

Martin,

Even if the clamshell luggage was an optional extra, there should be four bolts holding the rear carrier on:

IMG_4349.jpg

IMG_4351.jpeg

If he was, as you say, using the panniers, I think he (or someone) might have taken the sports pannier rack off. That might well account for the open bolt holes.

IMG_4353.jpgIMG_4354.jpeg

Last edited:
If he was, as you say, using the panniers, I think he (or someone) might have taken the sports pannier rack off. That might well account for the open bolt holes.

View attachment 279919View attachment 279922

Ta for all the info.
He never had panniers.
He used a BMW large tail bag which he’s including.

That part number highlighted is not the long bolts that’s missing.

Looks to me like the bolts that hold the rack in place are separate

9c6db6099754eef0154e5eeef9cdb615.jpg

a18c8ec9e3ef19f71a2b38ce087f4582.jpg

Think I’ve found them

139da00123cf7f40610e662c2c0782a7.jpg

Called up Motoworks as they weren’t showing the part number for the M8x65 bolts so they found me a generic bolt of same size.
So bits ordered.
Thanks to Ricardo for his detective work and pointing these missing bolts out.

Last edited:

=====

Indeed there are four bolts. I was merely trying to show the four bolts that should be there, to hold the carrier on, if the long bolts are absent.

The long bolts are indeed separate.

Are you going to leave the forward bolt holes vacant?

=====

Indeed there are four bolts. I was merely trying to show the four bolts that should be there, to hold the carrier on, if the long bolts are absent.

See above

Have you tried the Sport Attack or just the Road Attack ?

These all fit

b2a3807dc03f37ae573a66cb85f59d27.jpg

=====

Seller just sent me this pic .
Rack is fully attached

796066bc25e434fd35c280e5af10424f.jpg

Perhaps those ‘missing’ bolts were part of the side bag kit that he never had ?

The bolt’s purpose is twofold.

A. It holds the front of the rear carrier on.

B. It holds the excellent ‘clam shell’ luggage on. Without it, there is no way to attach the luggage.

I’ll send you a picture, Martin.

As you can see from picture above , the missing bolts do not hold the front of the rear carrier on .

Last edited:
Have you tried the Sport Attack or just the Road Attack ?

These all fit

b2a3807dc03f37ae573a66cb85f59d27.jpg
I'm currently running the road attack 2 evo which are dated Nov 2018 as I had them in the garage. Looking at your list it looks like the Road attack 4 has probably superseded the evo 2. I presume there has been a 3 in between? I always ride to the track, Snetterton is 250 miles from me so I need a tyre that wears reasonably well and also grips so don't want a super soft tyre that might not get me home. Never had any moments in the wet either. I think a lot of it with tyres is having confidence in what is underneath you, irrespective of the brand. What tyres are currently on the bike? Bear in mind that a change to any new tyre can feel quite different.

I'm currently running the road attack 2 evo which are dated Nov 2018 as I had them in the garage. Looking at your list it looks like the Road attack 4 has probably superseded the evo 2. I presume there has been a 3 in between? I always ride to the track, Snetterton is 250 miles from me so I need a tyre that wears reasonably well and also grips so don't want a super soft tyre that might not get me home. Never had any moments in the wet either. I think a lot of it with tyres is having confidence in what is underneath you, irrespective of the brand. What tyres are currently on the bike? Bear in mind that a change to any new tyre can feel quite different.

Metzeler Sportec M5 Interact !!

Back
Top Bottom