France-Pyrenees-Costa Del Sol-Santander/Bilbao (or in reverse)

Gregd

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am planning a trip in early September and the route plan largely depends on ferry timings so the plan in the title may end up in reverse. I think I’m ok for the actual route having downloaded multiple GPX files recommended on this forum, I’ve also purchased a couple of good old maps to have a proper look😉.

I have about 10 days for the trip and I am thinking that if I start in France I will maybe try and get to the border in 1 day using motorways/toll roads if necessary and an overnight stop before tackling the Pyrenees. 3 days (2 nights) crossing the Pyrenees (Spanish side) ending up close to Barcelona on the 3rd day for another overnight. I will then head to Costa del Sol and stay there for 1 or 2 nights before heading back North over 3 days (2 nights) to get the ferry.

So, some questions if I may:

1. Pyrenees in late September/early October, has anyone done it at this time of year and what is the weather typically like?
2. France to Spain in a day, leaving Roscoff/St Malo is that realistic and recommendations for hotels close to the border on the Spanish side if possible?
3. Any recommendations for overnight accommodation travelling through the Pyrenees (Spanish side)?
4. Any recommendations for accommodation close to or in Barcelona?

Thanks in advance.

Our Pyrenees trip was early September in 2022:
Weather was good!

Going again this year, and instead of using the Santander/Bilbao ferry, we have opted to go St Malo again (we did Santander ferry in 2023)... Reasons:
1. In real terms the Santander/Bilbao ferry does not save much time (altho is does save some miles!)
- for us the Portsmouth ferry is 50 miles nearer than Plymouth (UK side), and because the St Malo ferry does not travel until the evening, you can get there in 1 day (for us it would be 2 days to Plymouth as it's 500 miles from Scotland - and because the ferry boards mid-afternoon it doesn't leave much time)
- by the time the Santander ferry docks (early afternoon) you are unlikely to get many miles done that day (St Malo ferry docks about 8AM I think so you have a whole day to ride)
- so in real terms, the St Malo ferry is cheaper, more time riding (less time sailing) and does not impact the overall timescale... (so long as you would rather ride your bike than sit on a ferry!!!)

You CAN do St Malo to Spain in a day, but it wouldn't be much fun, you would probably have to use Autoroute the whole way... (I have done St Malo to Biarritz in a day and it was a long motorway slog)

* this year we're planning St Malo to La Rochelle on day 1, and then La Rochelle to Pau on day 2 (no motorways)

Due to ferry timings and days really, I really need to go on the Thursday evening or Friday first week in October.l hence the France option.

As Davey B says - depends whether you want to rise bikes or relax on the ferry :) - so many pros and cons to each option

Pyrenees are fine in Sept/Oct. I have been there three times in those months between 2017 and 2022 exploring the French and Spanish sides. I love both sides. Just like any area with an alpine climate, it can rain any month. It can also be 35C in the valleys and below freezing at 2072m on the Puerto de Bonaguia so take clothing that you can layer.

Places to stay:
France: point to head to before crossing over the Col de Larrau towards N260 near Jaca: Hotel Le Central, Oloron Ste Marie
Jaca: Gran Hotel
Sort: Hotel des Brases
Vielha: Hotel Eth Pomer

All 3 of the Spanish hotels would make a decent base for 2-3 nights for day trips.

Calais area to the Pyrenees is about 700+ miles - I've done it in one hit but an overnight in Limoges or Poitiers, etc. would break it up.
On the Spanish side I've stayed in (and near) Sort and also El Pont de Suert and they were fine. La Seu D'Urgell is said to be good too but I haven't been there. I've stayed in Andorra la Vella and it's a big busy place.
I went early September last year and headed to Portugal via Segovia and then back to France via Toledo - it was high 30's to low 40's!
I don't use ferries either as I don't like them and the Bay of Biscay, in September, does not appeal to me.

Weather:

Gale force 8, rising severe storm 10, one hundred yards, one thousand and six, falling fast.

Due to ferry timings and days really, I really need to go on the Thursday evening or Friday first week in October.l hence the France option.
Understood,....you're doing way over 2000 miles in 8 or 9 days (maybe 6 or 7 days riding) and down France and probably down and back up Spain...on motorway...which for me, would be tedious but we all like different things.
Wife and I did the Spanish side of the pyrenees last June and stay a couple of miles West of Ainsa at Boltana and stayed at the Hotel Boltana Odesa which had an onsite pizzeria.
We also rode up though Andorra and stayed in a great aparthotel with a sauna, hot tub and that had good parking for the bike in the underground garage. It was a 10 minutre walk into town with a good few eateries.

Some great roads in Andorra, not quite the concrete jungle I was led to believe it is.
Obviously, the draw of the Spanish Pyrenees is the N260 but there are dozens of great side roads and some 'dead end' stuff heading up into the mountains.

is there a reason why you'd not do Plymouth-Bilbao return?

I'm planning a (very in potential) trip for April in the Pyrenees as well, and the ferry going south takes longer now. Might make more sense to ride down in some cases time-wise sadly.

O
Understood,....you're doing way over 2000 miles in 8 or 9 days (maybe 6 or 7 days riding) and down France and probably down and back up Spain...on motorway...which for me, would be tedious but we all like different things.
Wife and I did the Spanish side of the pyrenees last June and stay a couple of miles West of Ainsa at Boltana and stayed at the Hotel Boltana Odesa which had an onsite pizzeria.
We also rode up though Andorra and stayed in a great aparthotel with a sauna, hot tub and that had good parking for the bike in the underground garage. It was a 10 minutre walk into town with a good few eateries.

Some great roads in Andorra, not quite the concrete jungle I was led to believe it is.
Obviously, the draw of the Spanish Pyrenees is the N260 but there are dozens of great side roads and some 'dead end' stuff heading up into the mountains.
I’ll maybe do some motorway but don’t intend doing too much, thankfully I’ll be on my own so can just do as I please really.

I'm planning a (very in potential) trip for April in the Pyrenees as well, and the ferry going south takes longer now. Might make more sense to ride down in some cases time-wise sadly.
Yes, the last time I did it (maybe 2018?) we had to set off at 6am from Yorkshire to get to Plymouth for the ferry (a 24 hr crossing), it would now be Portsmouth to Bilbao and about 33 hrs.

As you're blatting down thru France, is there a reason why you'd not do Plymouth-Bilbao return? It won't be too much more when you take into account fuel, tolls, wear and tear and a nights digs.
What he said.

I am thinking that if I start in France I will maybe try and get to the border in 1 day using motorways/toll roads if necessary and an overnight stop before tackling the Pyrenees.

1. Pyrenees in late September/early October, has anyone done it at this time of year and what is the weather typically like?
Anything in and around mountains can change at a moments notice. Be prepared for anything, including torrential showers.

2. France to Spain in a day, leaving Roscoff/St Malo is that realistic and recommendations for hotels close to the border on the Spanish side if possible?
It is a bloody long way away, circa 650-700 miles from St.Malo.
Doable, but you will not want ride the bike for a couple of days after.
@Arsey done it in one day, on his Husky 701LR from San Vicente de la Barquera to his place in Brittany (an hour away from St. Malo), and from memory it was 690 miles, leaving Spain at around 4am and arriving in Brittany around 10pm.

3. Any recommendations for overnight accommodation travelling through the Pyrenees (Spanish side)?
Argils-Gazost, on the French side. We stayed in this hotel, serving Hells beer (Camden Town Brewery)

Yes, the last time I did it (maybe 2018?) we had to set off at 6am from Yorkshire to get to Plymouth for the ferry (a 24 hr crossing), it would now be Portsmouth to Bilbao and about 33 hrs.
6 a.m. ? Did you stop for breakfast, elevenses, lunch and mid afternoon tea on the way. 🤔

😉

Anyrode, Greg, if you're only going to blatt through France why waste time, money and energy in what is a very tiring and wearing slog; the Plymouth ferry makes sense .....you'll get off the boat fresh and with plenty of riding time left in the day to savour. It really is a no brainer ( for me anyrode😉)

"Tinytim learns stuff the hard way.

Don't be like Tinytim". :D

Last edited:

Depends on the ferry. I believe the Plymouth to Santander ferry resumes in late March each year and that is less than 24 hours, just one night on board.

Weather:

Gale force 8, rising severe storm 10, one hundred yards, one thousand and six, falling fast.
If one to know this, one must be up early in the morning and be tuned into R4 with a cup of char. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom