fuel strip question

gaz238

Reaction score
my 2010 gsa fuel strip has now completely given up (yellow triangle etc) but quite happy to just use the trip, however does anyone know if this will cause any issues on my mileage or can i still rely on the bike to use all the fuel in the tank. i seem to remember reading somewhere that the fuel strip is needed to use the reserve tank

It will go down till empy.

In reality, from what I remember, with no signal the reflow and fuel pumps will run at 'full power', so that might shorten their lifespan.
Said that, I've ridden like that for quite a few years, no issues whatsoever.

I still use the trip to calculate fuel (I do have an adapter for the float but readings are unreliable) and calculate on average 10 litres = 100 miles. Never had major issues. Got stuck with no fuel maybe four times in the last 5 or 6 years (and 50k miles maybe).
I'm just careful on motorways as the fuel consumptions shoots up massively if traveling over 130kmh, but my bike isn't exactly stock.

It will go down till empy.

In reality, from what I remember, with no signal the reflow and fuel pumps will run at 'full power', so that might shorten their lifespan.
Said that, I've ridden like that for quite a few years, no issues whatsoever.

I still use the trip to calculate fuel (I do have an adapter for the float but readings are unreliable) and calculate on average 10 litres = 100 miles. Never had major issues. Got stuck with no fuel maybe four times in the last 5 or 6 years (and 50k miles maybe).
I'm just careful on motorways as the fuel consumptions shoots up massively if traveling over 130kmh, but my bike isn't exactly stock.
Many thanks 👍

Just let's see if someone with more technical experience can confirm. I'm 90% sure that's it, but... 90%. :)

The fuel pump controller does what it says on the tin. The fuel strip does not affect the running of the pump. The fuel strip feeds (via a resistive track, resistance proportional to fuel level) the fuel gauge, which has some software to calculate the reserve display (and range to go) - there is no reserve tank. With no fuel gauge, it is advisable to fill up at 250 miles from the last fill (and fill the tank) give or take a few miles. Or carry a few litres in a bottle for when everything grinds to a halt. I have tested all this out this year!

The fuel pump controller does what it says on the tin. The fuel strip does not affect the running of the pump. The fuel strip feeds (via a resistive track, resistance proportional to fuel level) the fuel gauge, which has some software to calculate the reserve display (and range to go) - there is no reserve tank. With no fuel gauge, it is advisable to fill up at 250 miles from the last fill (and fill the tank) give or take a few miles. Or carry a few litres in a bottle for when everything grinds to a halt. I have tested all this out this year!
On my recent trip to the baltics if I'd filled up at 250 miles I'd have only put in about 22 litres.
There would still be 14 litres in my tank.
I used my tank as I should and filled almost every time at 390-410 miles. Range left still of 30-45 miles. Eack time I put in 31-32 litres. I still had 4ish litres in my tank.
I've said it before, a working fuel guage is needed on these things because of the difference you can get in fuel consumption.
Plus I hated having the flashing fuel warning on between fuel strips.
When I was in Iceland without the fuel guage working it was a total pain in the arse trying to work out how much fuel was in my bike. I didn't want to ride the trails with a full tank if I could help it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom