Fuller’s brewery, Chiswick tour

London Pride is my ale of choice. The strengths however differ between from the pump or in a can.
Any idea why Richard ?

Good question, as it’s 4.1 from the hand pump but 4.7 out of cans / bottles. I don’t know the reason but at, at a guess, the bottled / canned beer does go for export, where strength does sell. It might also have something to do with the duty in the UK, where a hand pump beer of a lower specific gravity has less tax and therefore can be sold cheaper, helping sales and margins.

I guess also it might be as simple as, going to the pub, might well involve more pints, than sitting at home. One of the joys of Pride is that it tastes and smells great but isn’t too strong, alchohol’wise, making it a great ‘pub’ beer.

I also guess that beer in bottles / cans is ‘dead’, as it is in kegs, the fizz added by gas. Maybe, to make it taste better, especially as it can last for many months in a bottle or even can, they have to up the alcoholic volume? Beer, hand pumped, is ‘live’ and has a comparatively short shelf life, maybe about three days once tapped for pulling and maybe only a month from first going into the cask, so maybe it is ‘best’ with a lower specific gravity?

My favourite as well, closely followed by Timothy Taylor Landlord 😋
I put TTL above LP

My very favourite bitter ale is Adnams Southwold Bitter. Not seen it for years as they seem to promote Ghost Ship and occasionally Broadside unless in the home area. Not very strong and like Highgate Mild, one of the great, all day session beers.

Southwold, is always worth an excursion. Very good beer.

I too like Timothy Taylor’s Landlord, in preference over Young’s.

Like you, cession beers do not need to be blow your socks off strong. Indeed, quite the reverse. One of the few joys left to us in the UK, is the range of good quality, well established, brewers. Into this list, I would include the excellent, Hook Norton, whose product(s) I am no stranger to. Even their lager in bottles is OK.

I’m a bitter drinker when I favour a pint but did a tour of the Budweiser brewery in Colorado some years ago and was impressed by the cleanliness, shiny steel and the efficiency of it all.

I’m a bitter drinker when I favour a pint but did a tour of the Budweiser brewery in Colorado some years ago and was impressed by the cleanliness, shiny steel and the efficiency of it all.

Closer to a Glaxo Smithkline facility than a brewery. I thought the same when Whitbread built the brewery in Magor in 1979. Coincidentally, now operated by the Budweiser Brewing Group part of AB Inbev.

Breweries are clean places, not least because yeast is a living organism. That being said, it is a closed process, largely conducted inside steel vessels, with very little human contact per-se and at one early stage, the water is boiled, which kills off what little human contact there might have been before that point. It was this boiling that made beer, as opposed to water (so often badly polluted with God only knows what) so important to our forebears, young and old. It was what they drank.

Going around assorted Carlsberg breweries, for whom we do the reinsurance, some of them are inhuman places, just huge tanks and vessels, like something in a science fiction film. That is what made the Fuller’s visit interesting; brewing for a mass market but on a human scale on one site for well over 150 years.The two malt mills they use (they are not physically large, but without them no brewing can take place) are both over 100 years in use by Fuller’s and were already secondhand when they were first installed. Though, like Trigger’s Broom, I suspect the insides may well have been changed over that period.

Last edited:
You were doing a great job selling the tour to us until that photo, all that high vis DILAC clothing will put off most of the inmates here from going.

There's a theme here...

I also did the Budweiser Budvar brewery tour whilst touring Czech Republic many years ago on my old GS...

:beerjug:

Some years ago, I did the Purple Moose (Mws Pws) brewery tour in Portmadoc. It’s a brewery, the tour was ok, the beer was very palatable.

Some years ago, I did the Purple Moose (Mws Pws) brewery tour in Portmadoc. It’s a brewery, the tour was ok, the beer was very palatable.

yes, Purple Moose has been a recent discovery since moving to Oswestry then Welshpool.
Their Dark Side of the Moose is lovely. A delicious dark ale, malty & fruity balanced by the hops. Like bitter ales, fewer examples of this type of ale about nowadays as horrible over-hopped US style IPAs in kegs seem to feature instead of proper ales in casks.

Reactions: SBD
Southwold, is always worth an excursion. Very good beer.

I too like Timothy Taylor’s Landlord, in preference over Young’s.

Like you, cession beers do not need to be blow your socks off strong. Indeed, quite the reverse. One of the few joys left to us in the UK, is the range of good quality, well established, brewers. Into this list, I would include the excellent, Hook Norton, whose product(s) I am no stranger to. Even their lager in bottles is OK.
Distillery tour also available at Adnams, I was there yesterday proper brewery smell in the air like Romford once had

Brewery tours can vary greatly. I've done a few ranging from a very poor one somewhere near Theale (a modern brewery, it was a small industrial unit with three steel vats..) to the absolutely superb Hogsback brewery near Guildford. The Hogsback brewery us very traditional, they even grow their own hops and the tour guides can be hilarious.

Highly recommended and if you're not local, well worth making a special trip.

If anyone has visited Rebellion in Marlow, please could you give your thoughts?

I have visited the very busy shop and the place seems to buzz. If it's any good I'll take my mate Northern Norm when he next visits.

Back
Top Bottom