Garmin Motorize app

Wapping

Reaction score
I hadn’t seen this app from Garmin before.

Whilst it only seems compatible with some bikes (Yamaha, for instance) it would seem to be the answer to my prayers. A Garmin based GPS system (all be it phone based) that has stripped away all the bikermate ‘Must have’ shite that Garmin have bolted onto their newer devices. In short, a simple map / route display, linked to a decent quality screen.

If BMW hadn’t parted company with Garmin, it might have made a sensible alternative to their in-house Connected system.

Has anyone had any experience of it, please.

Will they all lose out in the end to Apple Car Play?

That be great if it was compatible with KTM. KTM have their own app called KTM My ride, but it is very simple a-b affair with no photo Al map on show, merely arrows pointing you towards the turn you about to make etc.

That be great if it was compatible with KTM. KTM have their own app called KTM My ride, but it is very simple a-b affair with no photo Al map on show, merely arrows pointing you towards the turn you about to make etc.

That is very similar to the very basic arrow directions, displated on the small TFT screen BMW’s. It’s fine on open roads but not so hot on complex road junctions or in central London.

Garmin can still produce some of the best dedicated GPS devices and their map / routing displays have always been very good. Yamaha, seem to have worked that out and appear to have gone into league with them.

That is very similar to the very basic arrow directions, displated on the small TFT screen BMW’s. It’s fine on open roads but not so hot on complex road junctions or in central London.

Garmin can still produce some of the best dedicated GPS devices and their map / routing displays have always been very good. Yamaha, seem to have worked that out and appear to have gone into league with them.

Yeas I am keeping my MK1 zumo XT, as I like the idea of dedicated Nav plus the over the air map and software updates. Importing GPX files is a doddle too.
I do like the idea of Apple CarPlay and use it in our car every time I drive, but I can’t see that working on my curent KTM or even the latest version of same bike. Having phone clamped on the handlebars and permanently plugged in, screen on for hours on end, does not appeal to me. Not least because it will get silly hot being in direct sunlight all day. Heat does nothing good to phone battery. My XT still able to display incoming messages, calls, and what track I am playing through my Sena headset.

I have been running my XT in parallel to the BMW Connected app on my 1600.

The Connected app works well on the big screen (now that I have a new TFT screen) and of course integrates well with the whirlywheel thing. It did though throw a wobbly (refused point blank) two routes I tried to run, which ran well on my XT. I never discovered why. The XT (again, now that the TFT screen has been changed) ran well but I don’t have the zoom function from the whirlywheel. A four button Garmin would actually be better.

My phone sat in the map case top of my tankbag in direct sun, hot enough to completely soften the map case, but without overheating, which surprised me.

I was wondering where the phone goes on the Niken GT? It certainly needs to be powered, not least as most naviagstion app’s eat phone batteries for breakfast.

Last edited:
I was wondering where the phone goes on the Niken GT? It certainly needs to be powered, not least as most naviagstion app’s eat phone batteries for breakfast.

The answer, at least to the powering question, is out there:

IMG_4009.jpeg

I guess you then put the phone into a tank bag, connected by a power lead to the USB-A socket? As I convert my tank bags to take external power, that is not an issue.

I think I’d also take a look at maybe adapting one of the panniers to take a power supply, so I could put the phone in there, assuming the Bluetooth signal was strong enough.

Last edited:
Ottocast
If my next bike doesn’t use CarPlay then I might be tempted to try this. A bigger TFT screen would be required but maybe in the future one will become available .

I am not sure I buy into the ‘bigger TFT screen’ thing.

My 1600 has the big screen but I run it split: 2/3 rev counter / 1/3 map. The 1/3 map area is then probably smaller than a conventional Garmin device’s screen. Thst doesn’t matter, as I am simply following a blue line, what might be on the map around the blue line doesn’t interest me at all.

If my next bike doesn’t use CarPlay then I might be tempted to try this.
I'm riding a 2020 Africa Twin adventure sports at the moment which has Apple Carplay and Android Auto. I do use Android auto at times particularly for get me to X rides. However, Google maps Waze apple maps are all point to point applications (i only use google maps in the car). The only Android auto approved map system as far as I know(that can be displayed on hondas TFT) that can route a pre determined GPX file is OSMand and to use AA features its a subscription service. Therefore I have a Zumo XT mounted above the Honda screen. I like the Zumo XT though it has a few navigation quirks (compared to older units) that I have found work arounds for. Long story short if you are looking for an Apple Carplay or Android Auto navigation system that can do what a dedicated GPS can do the applications are thin on the ground. I'm hoping that some day Google will make routes plotted in google MyMaps routable in google maps via Android Auto/Apple Carplay. If they do it would make pretty much every other GPS system redundant.

Wow. I wasn’t aware Carplay and Android auto were available on motorbike.

Uphill battle for Garmin then to replace them on the TFT.

The TFT screen on the Africa Twin is made by garmin and has a GPS antenna built in which helps if you have your phone plugged in. The TFT has proven not to be too reliable though (mines been fine) and out of warranty its a £3000 replacement :eek:

Back
Top Bottom