iOS app to handle GPX routes / tracks?

muppix

Reaction score
I’ve stuck with Garmin devices for years because they let me plan a route, mull it over while waiting for summer, and then finally ride it when the time comes. Does anyone know of an iOS CarPlay compatible app which will let me do the same? We’re touring by car later this year, and I’m reluctant to stick my Navigator V to the already too-tiny windscreen when I’ve got a perfectly good Apple CarPlay built into the dash.

I’ve stuck with Garmin devices for years because they let me plan a route, mull it over while waiting for summer, and then finally ride it when the time comes. Does anyone know of an iOS CarPlay compatible app which will let me do the same? We’re touring by car later this year, and I’m reluctant to stick my Navigator V to the already too-tiny windscreen when I’ve got a perfectly good Apple CarPlay built into the dash.

MyRoute-app

The new MyRoute ‘Next’ app (currently in its Beta test stage) is capable of displaying in Apple CarPlay. It apparently has some teething problems, which the MyRoute app development team are ironing out but on the whole, it apparently, works.

OSMand does this and also works with CarPlay (although not greatly).

Fantastic stuff, thanks very much! That gives me a few options to try out, though as I've just realised I'll also have to add offline mapping to the list of requirements as I'm unlikely to have data roaming when we get across to France & Spain. My Route App seems to have this covered, albeit at cost. Nothing wrong with that.

The Scenic app is another alternative to the excellent My Route App and also offers CarPlay, offline maps and offline navigation.

I’m currently using it until the Beta of MRA Next is a bit more stable and supports WunderLINQ. I’ve done over 1,100 miles in the last few weeks and had no issues at all. All miles were following routes that we originally had in Basecamp, then moved to MRA when our BMW Nav VIs died. The routes were sent to scenic as GPX files to navigate and it worked flawlessly.

Use scenic.
One caveat is that it will not route anything it doesn’t see as a “road”.
There’s numerous lanes we ride that it routes around despite them being classified.

Back
Top Bottom