Gearbox Output Flange

with this puller.

i want one myself for when the inevitable happens. i keep forgetting to ask motorworks how much they are. i'd guess about £85.
i dare say, one could be fabricated at home with a welder & an hour or two. i think it would have to be quite strong though.

that's my welding out then :D

Attachments

• flange tool.jpg
    flange tool.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 235
I've got one, had it made up, cost me £100 but its a work of art, your welcome to borrow it, but i don't want to post it ;

Make one .. if you have a lathe..

Tap the centre with a fine large thread. Four mounting holes around the outside that bolt to the flange. The central section needs to be recessed for the shaft .. it sticks out some. Bolt device to flange (yer can use the old bolts .. yer will be usin new ones to put it back together), put large bolt (that matches the thread you taped) in central section and tighten till it comes off..

can you perhaps bolt a bigger, home made flange to it, then use a big assed 3 legged puller on that??

on reflection i feel my earlier estimate for bmw puller was possibly 1 out.

that would be the 1 before the 8 in £85.

bmw club will hire you one ,borrow the bearing puller and end plate at the same time,
it's a good deal....trying with a 3-legged puller?.....like whistling dixie!!!!! with the proper tool....2minutes
bry

Thanks for all the advice lads
I have taken your advice Cookie and I’m off to CW motorcycles tomorrow to get them to pull it off for me all I have managed to do is trash my three legged puller and if I’m not careful ill end up damaging the shaft
I has never known any thing like it I have worked on lots of stuff over the years and never had this much problem getting a flange off
Thanks for the help ill let you know how I get on

Hi Cookie,
"end plate" isn't a puller it's used to measure bearing -end cover casing end float.....so you can shim the g/box up right....just like bmw ;)

How to remove the out put flange

Go to local B.M.W. dealer stand there for about 2 minutes while 2 big strong boys use the correct B.M.W. tool plus 2 old fork legs and hay presto its off
By the way the bearing on the clutch end of the output shaft had started to break up bad so it’s a good job I got in there when I did
C.W. Motorcycles very helpful and gave lots of good advice much of which involved selling the airhead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOB UK said:

C.W. Motorcycles very helpful and gave lots of good advice much of which involved selling the airhead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i fear they're probably right :(

judge said:
Calling Maverick - Calling Maverick....
Didn't he fabricate something last time he was back in SA for this very purpose?

Oops sorry have been busy with my own bike, in the future if you need a flange plate to pull it off I have one and more than welcome to borrow it if you whoever pay's the postage to get it from me and back again.

It is a 8-10mm plate with the holes and you need a strong puller and hammer.

Cheers
:gringo

Back
Top Bottom