Gravel roads and green lanes in Cheshire

fred22

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,
I've never actually taken the GS off tarmac, apart from say a car park or such. Probably the same as 85% of owners. I was wondering if anyone knows any easy non-tarmac roads in the north west? I'm thinking like the kind of forest roads or similar, just to get some experience.
I live in Stockport but hey, got a bike, can travel.
Thanks in advance

Hi,
I've never actually taken the GS off tarmac, apart from say a car park or such. Probably the same as 85% of owners. I was wondering if anyone knows any easy non-tarmac roads in the north west? I'm thinking like the kind of forest roads or similar, just to get some experience.
I live in Stockport but hey, got a bike, can travel.
Thanks in advance
I've had a bimble through the clocaenog forest near ruthin on many a sunny afternoon. Using the firebreak roads with my Funduro, 1150GS or the 800GS.

I tend to amble along at walking pace so as not to upset anyone and will stop to chat with people to diffuse any grumpiness

Not directly in Cheshire, but you could put a nice route through the Forest of Bowland, and do Salter Fell. It's only open to bikes (not cars) and is a fab, but mostly easy route about 14km long off-tarmac!
If I were you I would FFWD to 3 mins in!

The hardest bit is just before the summit (coming from Slaidburn), or if you go from Hornby (the Tea Room makes THE best scones!!) the first several KM is so easy, and no problem on almost any bike. It's just a nice easy Land Rover track for almost all it's length (apart for about 400 metres just East of the summit). Lovely Cafe's at both ends

On the Vid he's going Slaidburn to Hornby. If you FFWD the vid to 14 mins, everything after that gate to Hornby is EASY! I would start at Hornby and just take it easy, you'll enjoy gorgeous scenery, a great coffee/scone, and just turn back if it gets tough (you should get at least as far as the gate at 14 mins before you meet any obstacles (if you start at Hornby)

Anyway, watch the vid, after the gate at 14 mins, it's all easy to the end at Hornby. So start at Hornby and ride to that gate, and only go beyond the gate if you're feeling confident

My CRF300 (for sale on here) knows this route backwards, it's just a 3rd gear, 20-25mph enjoyable ride for most of it's distance

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. Will definitely check out clocaenog forest, as that sounds perfect,and watch the video above. I think the trf may prefer more gnarly stuff than I am after, though will investigate.
Happy to hear any further suggestions

Back
Top Bottom