Hexhead Alternator rewind

I've often thought that and if I'm ever in the need to change another one I think I will look into that idea. As far as I can see there's nothing special about them so we could probably source an appropriate car alternator.
I would have thought that after almost 20 years of the hexhead someone would have found one by now.
Mines still on the original though at 144.000 miles and almost 18 years old.

huh.

Price comparision.

I have just replaced the alternator on my sons Renault Megane....£200..!!

I replaced the alternator on my wifes 1.6 tc rover (honda engine) about 14 years ago and that cost £500 so taking inflation into account, it would be astronomical now, so £600 isnt bad tbh,

Ive been through most of the aftermarket alternator catalogues, plenty with the right output and plug, its the mounting foot holes that are the issue ifi recall, non come close

Ive been through most of the aftermarket alternator catalogues, plenty with the right output and plug, its the mounting foot holes that are the issue ifi recall, non come close
Similar results for me. I ended up on ebay and got a second hand one from the States.

Similar results for me. I ended up on ebay and got a second hand one from the States.

Same here.

I did wonder about stripping down a car Denso alternator for rotor parts and using it to build a Hybrid in a BMW casing, but never bothered as I was changing to a 1250.

Same here.

I did wonder about stripping down a car Denso alternator for rotor parts and using it to build a Hybrid in a BMW casing, but never bothered as I was changing to a 1250.
The only problem there is it's the casing that cracks and deforms.

The only problem there is it's the casing that cracks and deforms.
In my case a section of the lower rotor casing cracked and fell off, but the stator windings were still fine as were the feet mounting lugs. The alternator was still fine once the rusted rotor was freed up, but I replaced it for peace of mind. I think the stator laminations are pressed into the alloy casting during assembly which would probably make it impossible to repair a cracked unit?

I suspect the rotor/stator clearance is very small to aid efficiency, at the expense of the damned thing corroding solid.

Just a thought for those needing an alternator for a 1299 hexhead , what about a unit from an R9T , same engine so is the alternator the same ?

Just a thought for those needing an alternator for a 1299 hexhead , what about a unit from an R9T , same engine so is the alternator the same ?
All 1200 alternators are the same, you can swop between Bosch or Denso, the only difference between the different bike models is the pulley size… here’s a new one I fitted to a customers bike :D kerching F22EB55B-00DB-4389-AA60-15FFF968A723.jpeg

And I thought I had frame rust problems :)

Steptoe, do I remember correctly that you explained that most time corrosion/damage to the alternator is due to bods washing their bikes and the putting them to rest without running them (properly), so water/humidity does its thing?

All 1200 alternators are the same, you can swop between Bosch or Denso, the only difference between the different bike models is the pulley size… here’s a new one I fitted to a customers bike :D kerching View attachment 312064
Looks like you doubled the value of the bike…

I just spoke to Steptoe on the phone and he said my wallet or my bike are doomed!
It’s a 2009 r1200gs .
I just bought a BMW R 1200 R 12317715081 Alternator 27 11 - 14 Alternator Bosch 0124120015 alternator after reading the above that it will fit so just wiring to sort .. hopefully
And there was me telling people how much more reliable my 2009 is compared to my ‘17

Anyway I hope that can be sorted and I haven’t wasted money

I own a machine shop and I’m thinking of sorting this denso problem if I knew what car alternator has compatible parts, output etc

I fitted a R1200RT alty, the casing was exactly the same, but the wiring was different. My GS had a Denso alty, the wiring on the bike has an extension piece fitted to the Bosch connector.
You just need to remove the Denso lead, there's a connector with 2 wires going into it, yet just the blue one is used. Everyone said the RT alty won't fit...it did and works perfectly!
The Denso plug has 4 wires in the block, I assume it was one that BMW found to work, even though the wiring is completely different, so added the 'Denso tail' to the Bosch fitting wiring loom.
The Bosch alternator pulley is slightly smaller than the Denso one, a bought a Continental ELAST belt, and it went on without a problem, so far its working perfectly,

Well the 'experts' I asked all said they don't fit. I spent hours searching online and got nowhere, so I just tried fitting the RT one,
Check my post on here as well.....no-one said to just fit an RT one. James Sherlock said they don't fit, btw, they said they have never heard of them being compatible....

Well the 'experts' I asked all said they don't fit. I spent hours searching online and got nowhere, so I just tried fitting the RT one,
Check my post on here as well.....no-one said to just fit an RT one. James Sherlock said they don't fit, btw, they said they have never heard of them being compatible....
I've just put one on my 09 gsa , simple enough to do, Slightly lower output, which is not a problem for me.

I fitted a R1200RT alty, the casing was exactly the same, but the wiring was different. My GS had a Denso alty, the wiring on the bike has an extension piece fitted to the Bosch connector.
You just need to remove the Denso lead, there's a connector with 2 wires going into it, yet just the blue one is used. Everyone said the RT alty won't fit...it did and works perfectly!
The Denso plug has 4 wires in the block, I assume it was one that BMW found to work, even though the wiring is completely different, so added the 'Denso tail' to the Bosch fitting wiring loom.
The Bosch alternator pulley is slightly smaller than the Denso one, a bought a Continental ELAST belt, and it went on without a problem, so far its working perfectly,
My old gs doesn’t have a separate lead unfortunately so I believe it’s cut off the denso plug and the only wire needed is the blue one?

Back
Top Bottom