Highlands trip May Bank Holiday.

bazman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had this planned since last year after the summer's run around the NC500, with Frautzi and myself having a lot of family and work commitments, so May Bank Hols it was to be.
First we set off from Moffat and the Buccleugh Arms Hotel where my Warrington chum was staying for the night , so bright and early I headed to meet him and had a cracking breakfast there :D
Our plan was to stop at Lochnell Arms that night near the connel bridge just before oban, we headed over the Dalveen Pass then up the A76 and coast to Hunters Quay for the Dunoon Ferry. Onto Inverary then up to Connel.
View from Hotel.

Nothing better after a long day on the road !!

Next day after a early start again, ( don't you just love that lie in you never seem to have when away on tour ?) we headed up the Argyle tourist route to Ballachulish , then up on the fab A87 to Skye , but we took a left and tried out the Mam Ratagan pass over to Glenelg for the short ferry to Skye.
Photo ops everywhere.

Just before Commando memorial at Spean bridge.

Glenelg Ferry.

Water crystal clear.

View as we approached Broadford.

After a quick lunch stop , onto Elgol, where a lot of the roads had been re done and silky smooth winding roads awaited us for the most part.
Elgol.

Up to Dunvegan Castle next for the worst cake ever :mad: Coffee wasn't too bad so we saddled up for Uig then the Quirang, Kilt rock, and our abode for the night the Sligachan Hotel for a very pricey room with no wifi and missing remote for the telly :( Not to worry a few pints of the black stuff and a hearty meal made up for that.
Uig.

Quirang.

Kilt Rock and the falls.

Sligachan.

Third day due to the weather forecast for the East of Scotland where we were heading , a new plan was to do Applecross, as we were close by, then back down to Glenfinin viaduct , then to Glen Etive ( where they filmed a small section for skyfall) then over to Killin for our final nights digs . Weather was brilliant and we took some time out at Applecross just lazing around and enjoying the scenery.
The Inteprid Duo!

The obligatory photo at THAT castle :thumb

Lady's form and orderly queue :D

Bugger !!

Redeemed by the best cake of the trip :thumb2

Skyfall!!

Killin.

Final day and the sun was still out and a healthy 16 degrees when we set off, we took the lovely Lochearn head route then through Gleneagles and down to the forth road bridge , then down to Jedbergh and Hawick with the last section to the border the twisty B road to Newcastleton , this is where my trip ended after a final drive bearing collapsed on me :( Would have to happen in the back of beyond with no phone signal, so a gingerly pace for 7 miles until we hit Newcastleton , and a lovely Copshaw Kitchen who allowed me to use the phone and supplied me with coffee until the AA arrived :thumb2 Didn't sour the trip one bit and enjoyed every minute , big thanks to Frautzi for the company and banter :thumby:
Wobbly wheel time !!

Doh !!

Fantastic routes, great planning, fantastic roads and scenery. .. good ol craic... Cheers bazman ��

Cracking pictures....

As a new member I can be excused for only just reading this, I must say I'm totally amazed how many stickers are on the Applecross sign nowaday's, it's 2 years since I've been, but that will soon be remedied :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom