How easy is it to steal a big GS by lifting it into a van?

Do you think we could get away with remote self destruction device fitted.
They nick it , drive away out of a Geo fenced area ....BOOM.. loss of a bike which is a shame but may put the scum off with the threat of a body bag ... or am I just hoping.
It wants something similar to this fitted under the riders seat

I bought a Luma disc lock to fit into the small gap of back wheel. It's a good value way of adding another layer of hassle to prevent a dolly at the front and the free back wheel used. Won't stop it being lifted up, but will need use of a power tool before it get wheeled off.

Your security like most of us is enough to stop the opportunist scroats.
The professional thief is another matter.

If you interrupt them, you will be attacked with the same tools they are stealing your bike with (bars, grinder etc)
they seriously dont give a fuck.
I don’t give a fuck either they'll have the biggest surprise of there scummy life’s .

I reiterate what I've said many times on here ... as ex CID Stolen Vehicle Squad and Traffic Motorcycle cop for the most of my thirty years; the biggest enemy is the villains knowing where your 'bike is. If they know it's there then one day they will have it away. Leave it at the front of your house, wash it down on your drive .... they will follow you home and come back for it.

I have a Honda CT125 Hunter Cub and I can't get theft insurance for it :blast

Because of the kind off bike it is, imported, DN4 post code,, I cannot get insurance to cover me for the theft of it.:blast

I've lived here for forty years ...

Always been a motorcycle, most often two, occasionally three motorcycles in my back, totally enclosed yard.
Mid terrace house, no one can look in, high walls surrounding, no one overlooking.
Rear gate in to the 'backs' has two bolts, mortice lock and angle iron bar across with great padlock to secure!
Ground anchor in to two feet of concrete, for the bikes, but not Thatchem approved :blast
Padlock and chain round the front forks and wheel
No alarm but personal attack alarm coupled in (not Thatcham approved but louder than any of theirs) :D

Two cameras looking down in to the garden

Exterior light come on with movement sensors

Exterior moment sensor for any human movement in the garden gives me warning ...

None Thatchem approved, I don't tick their boxes and I can't get theft insurance :blast

But for forty years I haven't had a problem :rob

Fuck 'em

:beerjug:

Leave it at the front of your house, wash it down on your drive .... they will follow you home and come back for it.
Exactly this. In the mid 90s, my partner and I dealt with Halifax's most prolific bike thief. No comment throughout his interviews but off the record he was happy to state that he always had a nice family drive round on a Sunday afternoon. Bikers from all over the area came home from their blat to the caff up in the Dales, washed their bike and then went for a brew while it dried in the sun on their drive/road outside their house. As easy as that.

A determined thief will be hard to beat.

If yours is difficult to steal, only the pro’s will have it away, the lazy opportunist thief knows there are plenty others to choose from.

Don’t make it too easy for them.

If we all lived in fear of our bike's being stolen, we wouldn't bother owning a bike. All you can do is to make it difficult for the opportunist thief by using layered security or in the event it's stolen, also fit a tracker. I had one bike stolen years ago, because I was lazy and didn't use an adequate chain and lock thinking any lock would put people off. These days, most opportunist thieves can defeat a poor lock and chain in seconds. They watch the you tube videos too! Buy decent locks and double up. I usually carry three these days. A good thick cable lock, a heavy chain and sold secure lock and disc lock. It'd take more than a few minutes to defeat all of those. Easy pickings are what most opportunists will look for. Also, as above, best to leave your precious bikes on show on driveways where they can be clocked.

Went to a one where they broke into a garage by cutting a large hole in the up and over door , inside was an immobilised car (no wheels fitted ) and they stole the locked and chained 750 Africa twin parked between the car (a Sierra Cosworth saloon) and front wall of the garage by lifting it and dragging it on its side over the bonnet , roof and boot of the car . Bike gone and substantial damage to the Cosworth

On a more positive note

There is a guy in my street with a BMW F850 who leaves it outside his house on the street day and night, with no cover or lock on ever...never been touched. I have sleepless nights about it and its not even mine.

Hello,

I lock my 1200GS using a Roadlok that's attached to the front wheel's brake caliper…. The only way I see my bike could get stolen would be if thieves lift the front wheel …. Do you know any big GS or big adventure bike that got stolen this way?

With the lock you have (or indeed any disc or U-lock) the bike is, put very simply, locked to itself. It prevents or at least delays, push away thefts but that’s it.

To lift any bike into a van? Four blokes (you can do it with fewer), two shortish scaffolding poles (or steel bar) through the wheels or any convenient points, up and into the vehicle. Drop it? So what. Gone, in less time than it took you to read this.

Top up on your butter.

Last edited:
Has anyone preordered any of the new anti-angle grinder Hiplok range? Not totally impossible to cut through but it does take some doing from what I’ve seen on YouTube vids. There’s also a big, sod off ground anchor made from the same material. It’d be a good thing for some to have where they park their bikes at home.

I don’t bother with disc locks now as they are a waste of money. Two chains on the rear wheel, the heavier one is permanently attached the frame. Oh and three hidden air tags.

Attachments

• IMG_0196.jpeg
    IMG_0196.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 23
There is a guy in my street with a BMW F850 who leaves it outside his house on the street day and night, with no cover or lock on ever

....Coming soon, to a Lithuanian Ebay bike breakers web pages.

(I remember seeing about four UK spec Hexhead R1200GS headlights on a Lithuanian "bike breakers" ebay site when the GS was the most stolen model around. Ask yourself how many British bikes get scrapped in Lithuania, and how many vans with an LT number plate you used to see prior to Brexit ???)

I don’t bother with disc locks now as they are a waste of money. Two chains on the rear wheel, the heavier one is permanently attached the frame. Oh and three hidden air tags.
Me too on the Air Tags, I have a monimoto tracker too which I shall fit shortly. The Roadlock is good, but that and a decent chain is better. If it does go missing, I will find you, and you are not going to have a good day................

Me too on the Air Tags, I have a monimoto tracker too which I shall fit shortly. The Roadlock is good, but that and a decent chain is better. If it does go missing, I will find you, and you are not going to have a good day................
The downside to Airtags is they alert anyone with an iPhone to there presence who are close by it and it follows

Thieves are not stupid

I have the Monimoto 7 (there is a newer 9 now) and its brilliant

Even when I move the bike in my garage it alerts me

....Coming soon, to a Lithuanian Ebay bike breakers web pages.

(I remember seeing about four UK spec Hexhead R1200GS headlights on a Lithuanian "bike breakers" ebay site when the GS was the most stolen model around. Ask yourself how many British bikes get scrapped in Lithuania, and how many vans with an LT number plate you used to see prior to Brexit ???)
Prior to that he had a Triumph Tiger with all the luggage on and never went anywhere and always sat outside in the street no locks etc

Stresses me lol

The downside to Airtags is they alert anyone with an iPhone to there presence who are close by it and it follows

Thieves are not stupid
I'm fairly sure I saw a YouTube from a link on here where a guy strips the Airtags down and does something to stop scrotes from pinging it ??

Just ordered the 9. Discounted at the moment, if anyone is interested
Yeah I saw that but I had literally ordered the 7 like 2 months ago lol

Its works a treat though and very sensitive to movement (but not by the wind)

Back
Top Bottom