I think my HIDs just blew my headlight lens

The new headlamp unit turned up today - 2 days after ordering and all the way from Holland. Very well done to Motoparts.com in holland and to DPD.

It's all fitted and working fine. Lens free Headlamp unit with 2 H7 bulbs for sale £60 posted (£50 collected). If no takers after a while, I will stick a lens in and sell for about £125.

Also for sale is the HID set up. Needs 1 new burner to replace the one that flickers slightly. The main beam is slow to get up to full brighness, a new fast ballast would sort that. I had the dip on a new ballast bought in April, the original ballast also included. Includes the hid50 GSA mounting bracket - mounts to the oil cooler screws and provides a convenient place for the ballasts. £50 the lot posted. See the pics above. Happy to answer any questions.

Slow start on dip beam is no big issue. By the time you start rolling it will be fully bright. You do need a fast start ballast for HID on main beam even then you'll notice its 3 to 5 seconds to fully light power.

Milky center not a problem, when they go totally metallic looking it's normally de gassed, flickering could be conecction, that usually points that way, if bulb and ballasts still working, can't see they would blow the lens, you would think the bulb blew out and caused the problem, good chance the lens was chipped and had a weak spot possible then.
Bulb possably not the original with the kit, makings don't look familiar, if you know the original buyer pm me and I can check more :thumb2

And let me know year of bike
Cheers

Hi les, I am pretty sure the blow out wasn't down to the HID kit. I had been spraying around contact cleaner including onto the connectors in the headlight for the instruments and lighting, I then refitted the bulbs and proceeded to blow on the connectors to dry off the cleaner. I am sure I blew alcohol vapour into the headlight which had nowhere to go as it chess sealed. Then, the smallest spark when lighting things up and BOOM the lens goes. On the hid side everything looks fine.

Kit was originally sold to Mike Lake in South Wales. Could well be non Hid50 bulbs though.

Back
Top Bottom