Internal condensation

Praise be to Allah that you posted pics too. I'd wondered what the bottom half of a bike on a little red lifty thing, padlocked looked like. I'll sleep tonight now. :beerjug: :D

Hey... it's my pleasure :D

I always preferred story books with pictures :D

I always add pics when possible. Or can be bothered. It helps paint a picture ! And makes it more interesting.

We expect a pop up picture/4d next time....

Draw the line at you lot running around my house in Virtual Reality.

I couldn't handle the deluge of piss-taking...

What a bunch of clowns , no 9 got it right ...

Tw*t.

It's a pity that his Honda is so reliable, I'd have loved to seen engine parts coming through castings, and seeing how funny he thought that was.

should always lube the splines ;)

It would take longer than 6 months for the seal to stick, and the bearings won't suffer. What I tend to do if I have things laid up is remove the plugs on start up and turn it over until I get pressure (do this on my Hog and TVR). That way you are getting oil everywhere before applying load.

My mate always goes on about seals sticking so we did a test a few winters back. Put some lip seals on a shaft, put oil on it and left it. After 6 months, the oil was still around the feather edge and the seals worked fine with no sticking at all :okay

Weight on tyres can be a problem, but I either jack the bike / car up, or over inflate them. I don't think you'll have any issues at all with a bike on a ctr stand. The weight on the tyre it rests on will be minimal :)

Years ago, during the 14 years I kept my 1150. It was generally the idea that it was not a good idea to start the bike up once a month through winter. As this would cause condensation in the gearbox housing.
So. With the LC is this OK now ?
Im keeping my current GSA and the warranty is about to expire ! I don't like the idea of it not running up at all through winter. And for those that say ride it..... I don't want to ride it. Its in a heated garage, on carpet, plugged into the wall now until next year.

Don't run it Unless you intend to park it outside in the cool air until it has reached operating temperature for at least 5 mins

There is no Need to run it Especially if it is in a heated garage :rob

I would however "if" you have no intention of riding it ? Pump up the tyres to 55 or 60 psi Use some blocks of wood to elevate both ends clear of the ground (Helps retain tyre roundness) and fill the Fuel tank to as full as you can with petrol, it would be better with a stabiliser additive although the full tank reduces the deterioration effect

There is a chance of condensation etc, but what is worse for a fuel injected engine is that it will over fuel at low temps to compensate for not having a choke

So unless you get it up to full working temps for at least 5 minutes You will have a fuel vapour rich mixture and what doesn't get burned when you switch off gives the plugs a sloshing and also what has made it into the oil as vapour or blow by when cold, doesn't get burned out of the oil as it hasn't got up to full working temperature :rob

So Fuel up, Inflate and Elevate and stick on a charger every other week or so! I am not sure if I trust chargers to be as intelligent as the manufacturers claim to be?

Certainly I have had to replace many batteries for folks Who left their bikes on an intelli-charger whilst not using them :blast

But Don't run it unless you have a Dyno installed so you can give it a damn good thrashing :rob
Hope that helps :aidan

N.B Put a Note somewhere that the tyres are overinflated :aidan and to reset to correct pressure before riding :aidan

I did have a client complain about his bikes handling and how it was fine when he parked it up ....

Checking tyre pressures sorted that issue! Wonders of a simple phone call :rob

Cheers for that.
Interesting about the chargers. I've never had any issues with chargers. I have the newer BMW intelligent charger, It was plugged into the din on the dash, even on the 1150. That's through the canbus. I've since fitted the double plug and play USB outlet, and moved the din down to the left below the seat. Now when plugged in it says different things ! I never leave it plugged in for long though.

Don't run it Unless you intend to park it outside in the cool air until it has reached operating temperature for at least 5 mins

There is no Need to run it Especially if it is in a heated garage :rob

I would however "if" you have no intention of riding it ? Pump up the tyres to 55 or 60 psi Use some blocks of wood to elevate both ends clear of the ground (Helps retain tyre roundness) and fill the Fuel tank to as full as you can with petrol, it would be better with a stabiliser additive although the full tank reduces the deterioration effect

There is a chance of condensation etc, but what is worse for a fuel injected engine is that it will over fuel at low temps to compensate for not having a choke

So unless you get it up to full working temps for at least 5 minutes You will have a fuel vapour rich mixture and what doesn't get burned when you switch off gives the plugs a sloshing and also what has made it into the oil as vapour or blow by when cold, doesn't get burned out of the oil as it hasn't got up to full working temperature :rob

So Fuel up, Inflate and Elevate and stick on a charger every other week or so! I am not sure if I trust chargers to be as intelligent as the manufacturers claim to be?

Certainly I have had to replace many batteries for folks Who left their bikes on an intelli-charger whilst not using them :blast

But Don't run it unless you have a Dyno installed so you can give it a damn good thrashing :rob
Hope that helps :aidan

Good info there cheers.

Is the weather really that bad in the UK now? The last few years have been less like winter to the point where hibernation for a bike seems a waste of good riding days. I don’t ride in snow or when it’s icy but still manage to run a bike through the ‘winter’ months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the weather really that bad in the UK now? The last few years have been less like winter to the point where hibernation for a bike seems a waste of good riding days. I don’t ride in snow or when it’s icy but still manage to run a bike through the ‘winter’ months.

Depends where and when you ride. If you commute in Scotland the temperature might be barely above freezing when you leave for work or return - and that’s in an urban area. In the countryside you often find microclimates below zero when it is a few degrees above in the surrounding area.

I ride all year, but I choose my weather carefully.

That’s my point, there are good days throughout the year.

Back
Top Bottom