Iran and back in a month on a 650.

Great trip report and thank's for taking the time and trouble to do it.
My "big trip" isn't far off now and i hope i can record it as well as this is. :thumb2

Me too. Thanks for the effort. Prticuary good pics. Now I've got to go there as well!

Welcome home - many thanks for taking us along for the ride....really enjoyed your reports and excellent photos. :beerjug:

Sadly I only had a short time in Bologna but it is worth a revisit. In the morning my objective was pretty simple, to ride to Munich. It was easy to get out of Bologna as it is not too large a city. The motorway was pretty busy but there was reasonable dicipline. It was two lane and I got into a rythm of overtaking the lorries while letting the faster cars pass me and it worked well and we made good progress. It was tempting to go into Verona as I passed but as I still had a long way to go and was not sure how the road would be as we started to climb towards Austria as it can sometimes be jammed up, I gave it a miss.

The views either side of the motorway north of Verona has got to be one of the most scenic stretches of countryside around a major highway. The castles, churches, villages abound and you can feast your eye on them as well as minding the traffic of course. You will have to ride this stretch yourself or use your imagination as photos were not possible on this busy road. We did have a stop at one point for a very unusual reason. There was some repair being done with an electrical cable and both sides of the motorway were stopped, while a helicopter carried a cable from one pilon to the next, right across the motorway. It only took about 10 mins and was handled efficiently and we were soon waved on.*

Soon after this it started to rain a little, and looking ahead at the mountains there were grey clouds, so I put on the dreaded waterproofs again. I oped to go through Garmish instead of staying on the motorway which proved a mistake as the GPS took me down a little twisty road and past a couple of lakes. It was a lovely bikers road, but not in the rain, however I then gon on the autobahn and arriving into Munich. I had a little errand to do just after the motorway finished and then went across the city to the Olympic park as I had a museum to visit. The museum was the BMW museum which seemed an appropriate place to take in on a trip like this. Sadly I was slightly underwhelmed by the museum. I had visited the Porsche museum a few years ago and was impressed with how is was layed out, and it told the story of the marque in a logical way. I found the BMW layout somewhat confusing. Of course the range is more complex with the need to display, 4 wheel, 2 wheel and aero products. I've driven and ridden the BMW products for nearly 30 years but it was not easy to follow the theme of the museum, if there was a theme. The other factor which may have been at play, was that I had been riding one of their products most of the day and was not in the freshest frame of mind to take it all in. Maybe it is worth another visit and as I expect to be back in October this year, I would have a chance to go again.

It rained all night in Munich and the bike was outside, which at least may wash off some of the Turkish pigeon droppings. The rain seemed to ease in the morning and I did not rush to leave. I would soon regret this delay, as when I loaded the bike it started to rain again and soon it was pouring heavily. Just the sort of weather you don't want when negotiating the traffic in a major city, however I just had to get on with it. I was thinking of the towns near Munich who had been flooded recently and that this rain may be a more serious issue for them than for me, just getting wet. I got out of Munich in the end and on to the A8 heading west. I was planning to avoid Stuttgart this time as the traffic and roadworks on that route was awful on the way down. I turned north at Ulm and the GPS worked out a route to take me to Mainz again. I have friends there and hoped to catch up with a few before leaving the next day for the ferry to Dover. As well as being wet on leaving Munich it, was cold and I had kept in my fingreless gloves but covered by waterproof mittens. With riding in the rain my fingers got cold and on one finger on the left hand I lost the feeling at the tip and even massaging it did not recover it. *I think a leak in the waterproof glove may have contributed to this but there was nothing else for it I would have to stop and dig out my warmer gloves. These were a pleasure to put on and my finger recovered quickly.*

It was good to get to Mainz and sit outside my friends pub in the sunshine and warm up, chatting about how the new pub is going and about the trip. Then off to the Ibis Hotel in the city and was offered free underground parking by the manager as I am a regular customer. Once showered I had a walk around the town:-

Mainz is a historic university town and the cathedral, the Dom, dominates the main square.

There are a lot of sculptures in the city and these cupes illustrate the history of the town. This one shows, on the top, the timbers of a Roman boat recovered from the Rhein river which runs through the city and the real boat is in the city museum.

On the side of this cube is a typeface which points to the development of printing in Mainz by Johannes Gutenberg in the 1450s. The big development was the use of movable type and a process for reproducing the wooden hand carved characters in metal. This made printing much quicker and to a consistent high quality.

After a meal with a friend, the evening ended with a visit to an old haunt, the Irish Pub, which I've been visiting for nearly 20 years. The pub is in a basement and a great venue for music, but sadly tonight was Karaoke and I had not brought ear plugs. Over a few Guinness I chatted with a friend running the bar that night and handed over the Iranian fridge magnet he asked me for, as I passed through a month earlier.

As I had a long ride tomorrow the evening had to end and walked back to the hotel.

In the morning I booked my return ferry, using DFDS, on the Dunkerque - Dover route. The ride to the ferry was pretty good with no major delays not even around Brussels. When leaving from Mainz I normally book an 18:00 ferry with the expectation of making the 16:00. This allows me to get home to Hampshire around 19:30. Despite some confusion over the signing to the new Dunkerque ferry terminal, I made it in time for the 16:00. Again the ride home was OK for a Friday evening and I parked the bike with great pleasure on the drive after a very satisfactory trip, my longest ever at 8,152 miles.

After over 8,000 miles the rear Tourance tyre is looking remarkably fresh.

I had been using an Delorme inReach Explorer two-way satellite communicator with GPS for this trip, and I used it to send it's final message that I had arrived safely at my destination for the day.

Having completed the trip and within the estimated time, I'm now delighted that I had chosen Iran as the destination this year. It's distance from the UK provided a sufficient challenge in covering the 8,000 miles particularly on a medium size bike in a month. Iran itself was a fascinating destination and many in the UK though I was mad to think of going there on a bike, and on my own. There were concerns about my security with terrorism and possible problems with official in Iran. Although I did not have these concerns the anxiety of other did weigh on me at times and it was that when I arrived in Iran I found these concerns groundless. In fact the welcome I recieved from the Iranian people was excellent and I felt very relaxed in their country. I believe I was more at risk in Turkey and not long after I left Istanbul a bomb did explode to underline the risk. Of course travelling by bike has inherent risks as well as wonderful advantages. There were 2 occasions where I may have had a problem, one when I encountered gravel on a corner and the other where I attempted a U turn on a busy road, not my wisest decision. The rest of the time I was quite safe on the bike and felt it was a great vehicle for this journey. The next question is where next, if I want to start and finish a significant journey from Hampshire.

As for the ride report, I've enjoyed sharing it with so many of you and getting feedback. Writing in the evening is a way for me to reflect on the day and while travelling on your own helps me to feel less isolated. It can however be an onorous task and I am not the quickest at typing and trying to proofread. I know my proofreading or spelling is not 100% but try not let that get in the way of the flow of my thoughts. I try to be reasonable honest and not to censor myself too much and let the text flow. It seems that approach works for most of you and I'm grateful for the positive comments and for the withholding of the negative ones. I also appreciate that while I was in Iran nothing contentious was posted here, as I was not aware if the authorities were possibly reading this too, as it would not have taken them too long to identify me.

I'll add a technical section on the bike and equipment I used in a few days for those interested.

Inspired.

The writing style helped to make the report. Changing that and correcting the spelling would change the 'feeling' altogether.

Thanks for taking the time to post up the writing and the photographs.

:bow:thumby:

Many thanks for a truly intriguing report.Really appreciate the time and effort spent on writing in what was already a very tight schedule .:beerjug:

A cracking report. Like quite a few others here I have ridden many of the same roads and your journey brought back some happy memories. Thank you.

I've been delaying posting this section as I've been trying to think of more things that did not work too well, but can only think of a couple. Anyway, here goes:-

TECHNICAL SECTION

The section below will probably only be of interest if you are a biker who goes on long distance trips.

The bike: –
BMW G650 XCountry, 2007, 652cc, 52ps, 155kg dry.

Modifications -
Jacugar lowered front and rear suspension, Accelerator module, Brisk plugs, Touratech oiled foam air filter, large bashplate, centre-stand, lowered seat and sheepskin buttpad. Isotta screen with Wunderlich screen extender. Tourance tires, strengthened aluminium rear subframe. BMW engine protectors. Fold back gear lever. Grip Puppies, Handlebar deflectors, 2 piece jump leads. Battery charger socket, showing battery voltage. Throttle paddle. TT chain guide. KTM domed aluminium wheel nuts. Stainless steel wheel spacers. DID Gold O ring chain.

Lights
Zen Overland H4 LED headlight bulb, Twin 10w LED spots.

Luggage
TT Zega 35L and 29L Aluminium Panniers with Inner bags, Hepco and Becker pannier frames, Trex rear rack and topbox(with cigarette lighter socket for charging), Polo Q-bag waterproof rollbag, small TT tankbag, Wunderlich handlebar bag(with cigarette lighter socket), tool box on bash plate.

Bike Comms -
Garmin Zumo 550, Autocom, Amplirider Amp and spare Garmin Zumo 400.

Fuel -
Auxiliary Acerbis tank linked to main tank breather to automatically replenish the tank. In addition, a 3L and 2L TT petrol container on panniers and a 1L cainster in a tool tube on front forks. Total capacity = 20.5L Range 300+ miles depending on speed.

Spares -
2 x inner tubes, plugs, Autocom headset, tyre seal spray can, bulbs, jubilee clips, duct tape, self amalgamating tape, spare set of keys

Photography and Computing -
Lumix TZ35 compact camera, Drift Ghost S Headcam with remote, Samsung 8 ins Tablet, and HTC M8 smartphone plus spare M7 phone.
Cigarette socket inside handle bag and topbox allowed simultaneous charging of phones, Tablet and Drift battery while travelling.

Delorme inReach Explorer, two-way satellite communicator with GPS tracking. Transmits a GPS position every 10 mins while travelling and can send a message at end of the day to confirm safe arrival at my destination for the day.

Tools -
Halfords professional sockets and spanners, Torx set, Zen Overland wheel nut removal tool. Tool roll. Tyre levers, Slime tyre pump, petrol syphon hose. Multi meter.

Camping -
Go-Outdoors Higear Ion2 tent, fleece sleeping bag and Hyalite self-inflating air bed. Gas stove.

WHAT WORKED.
BMW G650 XCountry, which was 100% reliable, carried luggage well, economical, and a joy to ride.

Tourance tyres lasted the trip easily and still do not need replacement.

Throttle paddle. Using this little device allows the throttle to be kept open, maintaining speed, by applying pressure with the palm of the hand while the fingers can be flexed and relaxed.

The Wunderlich screen extender helped with wind protection.

Zumo 550 GPS.

Ion2 tent, OK for light use, fitted in the bottom of the 29L TT pannier. Not used on this trip but good to have it as a backup.

Using booking.com to find and book hotels for accommodation. Worked in all the countries I travelled through, except Iran. Works better if hotel location is already in the GPS.

Autocom audio systems, with helmet speakers for GPS audio and MP3 music. Made sure to load enough music on the Zumo SD cards.

Delorme inReach Explorer allowed family and friends to track my progress and confirm I had arrived safely at my destination. Happily I did not need to test it's

SOS function but it was reassuring to have it while travelling on my own.

Touratech Zega Panniers, Trax topbox, Polo waterproof bag. The top opening roolbag was great as does not have a fixed capacity, the top opening gives good access for finding things and proved to be waterproof at the end of the trip.

My Camelback water bag was essential for maintaining hydration particularly when the temperature went over up to 39C. I mounted it this time in the tank bag. Having it on my back can be hot and is an unnecessary weight to carry.

The Wunderlich handlebar bag is great for small things, passport, allen/torx set, sweets to eat as you ride, etc. and was waterproof. With the cigarette lighter socket was also handy to charge phones as I rode along.

Keeping a stock of Cereal snack bars and a small Lifeventure coffee flask(Blacks) for a snack for those stops where there are no cafes.

BMW Ralley 2 jacket with Goretex, coped with most of the weather and allows ventilation in the heat. Waterproof mittens proved useful.

A mini electric kettle was great for coffee in the room and also to fill a flask in the morning.

Having a photocopy of all important documents, spare photo ID's, spare keys and a spare credit card tucked away on the bike. Because of the need to bring cash into Iran this was distributed around the bike luggage.

Switch cleaner proved useful a number of times.

DID NOT WORK(so well)

The Acerbis fuel tank syphon system was problematic at the start but seemed to work well after the fuel tube was shortened in Germany.

The Garmin GPS, Autocom system had poor audio quality which was repaired with the replacement of the main 3.5mm jack cable connecting the Garmin to the Autocom and the cleaning of all the jack plugs with switch cleaner. The GPS holder got contaminated following a storm so I may need to place a waterproof cover over the holder in wet conditions on future trips.

Back
Top Bottom