Jump starting an R1150RT

OK, I have seen it done like this

2 people, 1 srewdriver, jump leads, insulating tape and a charged 12v battery. Wrap insulating tape around the shaft of the screwdriver leaving the tip exposed as well as a short section just below the handle to connect the jump lead to. Practice poking the tip of the screwdriver onto the positive terminal of the battery until you are confident that you can do this without the tip touching anything else or slipping off.

Attach one jump lead to the shaft of the screwdriver just below the handle. One person touches the screwdriver tip to the bike's positive battery terminal and concentrates on not letting it slip or touch anything else. The other person can then connect the remaining jump lead to a good earth on the bike, press buttons, fiddle with coldstarts etc. Once the bike is running, carefully withdraw the screwdriver having first disconnected it from the donor battery.

Be ready to ride away so as to avoid leaving the bike running at standstill and the overheating that will ensue.

OK, I have seen it done like this

2 people, 1 srewdriver, jump leads, insulating tape and a charged 12v battery. Wrap insulating tape around the shaft of the screwdriver leaving the tip exposed as well as a short section just below the handle to connect the jump lead to. Practice poking the tip of the screwdriver onto the positive terminal of the battery until you are confident that you can do this without the tip touching anything else or slipping off.

Attach one jump lead to the shaft of the screwdriver just below the handle. One person touches the screwdriver tip to the bike's positive battery terminal and concentrates on not letting it slip or touch anything else. The other person can then connect the remaining jump lead to a good earth on the bike, press buttons, fiddle with coldstarts etc. Once the bike is running, carefully withdraw the screwdriver having first disconnected it from the donor battery.

Be ready to ride away so as to avoid leaving the bike running at standstill and the overheating that will ensue.
I have seen 2 "mechanics" (they worked at a bike workshop) try this on mine, when they thought my bike wouldn't start because the battery was flat (I tried to tell them it was the starter, but no it was a flat battery :blast) the screwdriver got to glow red before they realised I was right and that the starter wasn't going to turn :eek:. at least they managed to get me moving fast enough to bump start it (which is what I asked in the first place :rob) the engine running while stationary bit, in my opinion is waaaay overstated, as long as you don't go and have dinner the fairing isn't going to cook, otherwise how would you ever survive the wait at traffic lights? let alone queues!

I have seen 2 "mechanics" (they worked at a bike workshop) try this on mine, when they thought my bike wouldn't start because the battery was flat (I tried to tell them it was the starter, but no it was a flat battery :blast) the screwdriver got to glow red before they realised I was right and that the starter wasn't going to turn :eek:. at least they managed to get me moving fast enough to bump start it (which is what I asked in the first place :rob) the engine running while stationary bit, in my opinion is waaaay overstated, as long as you don't go and have dinner the fairing isn't going to cook, otherwise how would you ever survive the wait at traffic lights? let alone queues!

The original question was 'how to jump start......' but you're right, anyone who tries this method and lets it go so far as to have the screwdriver glow red shouldnt be servicing bikes at all!!!!!!!!

The last part about riding away was to give notice to peeps that running the engine to charge up a flat battery is not a good idea ;)

Thanks again for your input everyone.

I have had her on charge since I laid her up for the winter but the Optimate seems not to have coped with the demands of the alarm and she wouldn't turn over when I tried her the other day.

I am tempted to try a bump start but the hill outside my house isn't particularly steep and I can see myself being stranded and having to push her all the way back up the hill and home!

I'll try jumping her off the starter motor at the weekend. I'll let you know how it goes!

Alarm ?

If your battery & Optimate are in good condition,your alarm should n't be a problem.
Are you able to bypass the alarm & then charge the battery ?
Can you test your Optimate on another battery ?
How old is the battery ?

If your battery & Optimate are in good condition,your alarm should n't be a problem.
Are you able to bypass the alarm & then charge the battery ?
Can you test your Optimate on another battery ?
How old is the battery ?

Mmm... not sure how long the battery's been on the bike. I bought her last December and haven't done a million miles on her. The battery's been fine up till now though.

The battery's past it's best.

You're solving the problem yourself.
The battery has been on the bike for how long ? You don't know ?
For peace of mind buy a new battery,you won't get stranded.
Every time I buy a used bike over 3 years old the battery's junked unless I know it's new.:beerjug:

Having got the bloody fairing off and bearing in mind what had been said about the battery (and the cold and the state of the roads which would have made a run out to put some charge in it more of an ordeal than a pleasure) I just disconnected it and stuck it on charge to see what happens.

So, we are no nearer proving what the best way to jump start an RT is!

well , i'll be doing this later on....

thank you , https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/103148-how-to-jumpstart-a-2002-r1150rt/

Those BMW 1150RT bikes are a pain to jump start as you need to remove plastic to access the starter, or you need to gain access to the battery (+) post.

On the old 1150RT bikes with the semi hidden battery and no external jumper access I typically use an old "heavy shank" long screwdriver. I typically hook up the jumper "ground" cable to the rear shock upper bolt, then hook the jumper battery positive cable to the long screwdriver shank near the handle. Then carefully work the screwdriver blade in to firmly touch the motorcycle battery "positive" post.

Once you figure out the access angle & how to do it the process is pretty simple & works fairly good.

i'll report back .

well , seat off , small jumppack attached to battery+ , no need to take off any panels , remove seats , attach leads , press button and she starts.

54 plated 1500rt.

well , seat off , small jumppack attached to battery+ , no need to take off any panels , remove seats , attach leads , press button and she starts.

54 plated 1500rt.
As I’ve mentioned earlier in this thread- BMW sell a jump starter post specifically for the RT models. It fits onto the positive battery terminal and exits inbetween the tank and air box. Remove seat, remove rubber terminal cover, attach jump lead,

As I’ve mentioned earlier in this thread- BMW sell a jump starter post specifically for the RT models. It fits onto the positive battery terminal and exits inbetween the tank and air box. Remove seat, remove rubber terminal cover, attach jump lead,
I did not know at the time that BMW sold a jump starter post for the RT, so I bought one of these kits for my 1100RT.

Back
Top Bottom