Just got a 2020 CB500X with a number of extras, what luggage

richie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Allihies again.. but off to Asia soon....
Went to Dublin yesterday and then rode the 400KM home with my new CB500X it has a number of extras. It reminds me a slimmed down Varadero which was my last bike 8 years ago. Cruised at 125kmh indicated for the first 240KM on the motorway then enjoyed blasting past the Friday evening weekenders on the West Cork roads back to my place. Front end could maybe do with a bit of fine tuning, rear felt fine, but then maybe it was me, 8 years since I rode a "big"bike. The only thing I need to buy next is some luggage for my trip to India and back.
What to go for, I am kind of thinking a mix of hard and soft luggage, Hard for security and soft for camping and clothing stuff. I might pick up a 47 litre top box in the next few days.
Advice please.

I removed the red mesh guard as I think it looks crap, might paint it black and put it back on for the trip.
Extras include
Screen
Headlight guard
Heated Grips
Hand Guards
Engine bars
Sump guard
Fender extender
Hugger
Givi top box mount
Centre stand
Side stand base enlarger...
12 V socket which I have yet to fit.

Attachments

• IMG_20230526_195041756.jpg
    IMG_20230526_195041756.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20230526_195027958.jpg
    IMG_20230526_195027958.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20230526_195021447.jpg
    IMG_20230526_195021447.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 111
I've settled on soft panniers and a 46l Givi Dolomiti topbox. Works well for the Mrs and I (Africa Twin in Europe)

Cracking bike. You’ll not go far wrong with that. :thumb2

Richie....re the Dolomiti top box.....the locking mechanism for the box to the rack is only a piece of sliding plastic....it snapped this morning just as we set off for a fortnights tour so altho the box is locked....it won't lock to the rack. A really bad design. I'd rethink the type of top box (we will probably now go for a Bumot like the panniers)

I rode one of these all the way to Beijing. Bulletproof…
:thumby::thumby::thumby:
So,what luggage did you use... Thanks. I want to travel light, which I am used to doing. But will include a small tent, mattress and sleeping bag. Maybe a tiny stove just for coffee.
Some tools and spares ( which spares) clothing, documents and a camera.

Richie....re the Dolomiti top box.....the locking mechanism for the box to the rack is only a piece of sliding plastic....it snapped this morning just as we set off for a fortnights tour so altho the box is locked....it won't lock to the rack. A really bad design. I'd rethink the type of top box (we will probably now go for a Bumot like the panniers)
I will check out bumot, thanks

So,what luggage did you use... Thanks. I want to travel light, which I am used to doing. But will include a small tent, mattress and sleeping bag. Maybe a tiny stove just for coffee.
Some tools and spares ( which spares) clothing, documents and a camera.
I used Metal Mule panniers. The racks were tailor-made using the arms from Givi racks and hoops bought directly from MM. No top box (two panniers is plenty for a 3-month trip). Small Giant Loop Diablo tank bag and that was it. No camping gear. Having camped recently though, a 30l dry bag was plenty big enough and it was slung across the rear rack..

used shad stuff on a 500f

spanish

id say equal to givi kappa

bought from ebay fr and ebay de new and less than 100 euro

So, had a reasonable look around, I kind of like the idea of either, Panniers and a dry bag, Or a Top box and a dry bag. Or maybe even make a top box that goes over the pillion seat too, one box for everything.

Anyone got any opinions.
Mark, I will check out Shad on Ebay
RichardBD Metal mule site does not even acknowledge the existance of the CB500X what modification did you do to the Givi rack to make them fit, I have a Givi top box rack already.

So, had a reasonable look around,
rhinowalk - i bought a kriega 30 ltr then found out about these

seen after i bought the kriega - only thing different is the lining and the metal hooks are smaller on the rhino - rhino is way cheaper and seems to be built exactly the same way

the clips are the same size on both bags so will clip together

seen after i bought the kriega - only thing different is the lining and the metal hooks are smaller on the rhino - rhino is way cheaper and seems to be built exactly the same way

So frame or no frame, I prefer no frame if going soft.

RichardBD Metal mule site does not even acknowledge the existance of the CB500X what modification did you do to the Givi rack to make them fit, I have a Givi top box rack already.
Richie, as per our message exchange, my racks for the MM panniers were tailor-made. The arms/bike mounts were Givi with the hoops cut off. The MM hoops were bought direct from MM. They don't list them as for sale but sold me them as a favour when I bought the boxes.

Richie, as per our message exchange, my racks for the MM panniers were tailor-made. The arms/bike mounts were Givi with the hoops cut off. The MM hoops were bought direct from MM. They don't list them as for sale but sold me them as a favour when I bought the boxes.
Yes I saw that since thanks for the mails Richard, appreciated

From all that I have read, I think you have chosen your bike well. I think I too would have chosen a 500X

Hi Mark, I have just ordered the Rhinowalk 48Litre version, so I guess my mind is mace up I will probably also go for a Givi 42 litre Trekker box for my safe stuff.
80 litres total which is too much I think, but saying that I will probably be putting my gear into it sometimes too.

Back
Top Bottom