Just ordered a Tiger 800XC

From what I have seen and heard that is not the case. They still have the same people in the warranty department at the factory with the same attitudes. A number of Triumphs I have looked at have shown a finish which is not up to the claims that the factory make of how well built they are.

Their instructions in the handbook to the owner to wash the bike after every ride to maintain the warranty are totally impractical as well as farcical.

Tell me MGJ, if you had bought a motorcycle from a manufacturer which had given you problems, which the manufacturer/importer refused to rectify and effectively told you to get stuffed, would you seriously consider buying from them again?
Slightly off Topic, But I'd be worried if i saw a 10 plate Triumph Tiger that was starting to rust already, which I did, in Guildford some weeks ago.....

Tell me MGJ, if you had bought a motorcycle from a manufacturer which had given you problems, which the manufacturer/importer refused to rectify and effectively told you to get stuffed, would you seriously consider buying from them again?

First of all you do not buy from a manufacture but a dealer

Well i did with BMW, I had a RT1200 that caught fire. What did BMW do feck all. What did the dealer do loads to put it right. Did not stop me buying 3 more 1200s. What would you have done ?

it's all down to the dealer you use.

Slightly off Topic, But I'd be worried if i saw a 10 plate Triumph Tiger that was starting to rust already, which I did, in Guildford some weeks ago.....

Don't think thats off topic, it would have been one of the much loved test fleet bikes.

First of all you do not buy from a manufacture but a dealer

Well i did with BMW, I had a RT1200 that caught fire. What did BMW do feck all. What did the dealer do loads to put it right. Did not stop me buying 3 more 1200s. What would you have done ?

it's all down to the dealer you use.

But the manufacturer set the terms and conditions of the warranty and the dealer has to play ball with them. Many claims have to be approved by the manufacturer or their local representative.

Whilst the dealer I used was good, if the factory warranty department says "no" then there is not a lot they can do. In my case, it was the factory that were refusing to play ball, not the dealer. The dealer was very supportive and did as much as they could, but the attitude at the factory was crap. The factory even tried to present a 20% speedo error as only being 1% out, even though the figures showed otherwise.

If the dealer had been able to put things right then I would have happily dealt with them again. Which is exactly what happened with the issues I had with my first ST and led me to buying another. But it was out of their control and entirely down to the factory in relation to the second ST. The factory were asked to clarify what it said in the handbook about certain parts being covered under warranty for corrosion. They refused.

I gave them a chance by buying a second ST. They blew it.Simples.

But the manufacturer set the terms and conditions of the warranty and the dealer has to play ball with them. Many claims have to be approved by the manufacturer or their local representative.

Whilst the dealer I used was good, if the factory warranty department says "no" then there is not a lot they can do. In my case, it was the factory that were refusing to play ball, not the dealer. The dealer was very supportive and did as much as they could, but the attitude at the factory was crap. The factory even tried to present a 20% speedo error as only being 1% out, even though the figures showed otherwise.

If the dealer had been able to put things right then I would have happily dealt with them again. Which is exactly what happened with the issues I had with my first ST and led me to buying another. But it was out of their control and entirely down to the factory in relation to the second ST. The factory were asked to clarify what it said in the handbook about certain parts being covered under warranty for corrosion. They refused.

I gave them a chance by buying a second ST. They blew it.Simples.

Will you answer my question ? What would you have done ? I answered yours.

I suggest you re-read my post above again properly and you will see the answer in paragraph three.:rolleyes:

Don't think you have, I asked what you would do if BMW would do nothing after a bike caught fire. As you claim Triumph did with some other fault not a fire!!

Your problem with Triumph is well Triumph, but BMW can do what ever they want in your eyes.

You have even said in other posts it's okay to change the fuel strip 3 times as nothing major, still 3 days off work.

By the way if your not sure what bike we are talking about read the title of this thread.

enough is enough so will add you to my ignore this pls add me to yours

Ride safe mate

Don't think you have, I asked what you would do if BMW would do nothing after a bike caught fire. As you claim Triumph did with some other fault not a fire!!

Your problem with Triumph is well Triumph, but BMW can do what ever they want in your eyes.

You have even said in other posts it's okay to change the fuel strip 3 times as nothing major, still 3 days off work.

By the way if your not sure what bike we are talking about read the title of this thread.

enough is enough so will add you to my ignore this pls add me to yours

Ride safe mate

Your question was not about if a bike caught fire but what I would do if I had a problem which BMW would not acknowledge. I answered that.

Yes, my problem is the Triumph factory, because that was who I had problems with.

No, I haven't said it's ok to change a fuel sensor three times, I have said it is not a major fault. How it comes to three days off work is an interesting conundrum though. Must only be the case in MGJ world:rolleyes:

BMW don't have a free ride in my book. If I get the same treatment from them that I received from Triumph then I will vote with my feet.

Yes, the thread is about the 800 Tiger but you made a comment about Triumph's in general. I guess you are lacking the grey matter to see that.

I won't be adding you to my ignore list, you are too entertaining to take you out of view with your twisting of what people say and your politician like ability to dodge questions.:D

Or perhaps you should just do another flounce:rolleyes:

totally agree with you bob i bought a speed triple in dec last year just had its 500 mls service the oil feed pipes are rusting the dealer agreed with me that they should be changed under warranty the factory refused its a cheap crap anodised finish which again my dealer agreed triumph said no ive got a 66 thunderbird with less rust on it i really like the 800 but would never buy hinkley triumphs again

Dave, it looks like you have been Swepson'd!:rolleyes: No doubt you were blamed for not washing the bike correctly by the factory.

I've owned about 15 Hinckley built Triumphs (I still have two sat in the garage at present) and have to say that the earlier T300 Series bikes are of a superior build quality than the newer stuff and IMO the current dealer network from a customer service perspective is a bit of a joke :augie

I really wanted to want the Triumph 1200 when it comes out but must admit I hear very few good things being said about them by previous owners when it comes to warranty and issues.

I think once upon a time a dealer made a lot more difference, when I worked in the industry warranty claims could be "discussed" with the manufacturer and we could fight the customers corner and maybe get a ruling overturned.

These days it is just a computer doing the work, and if "the computer says no" then that is that regardless of if you have bought one second hand bike or a new machine every two years for the last three decades.

I seem to have won the computer lottery recently having got new brake discs under goodwill, although I was originally told they are not covered and I did need to push the point that the pads had outlasted the discs so fair wear and tear did not seemto be the problem IMO, the dealer then offered to try a goodwill claim - but admitted they have no influence over these.

Not sure if it is impressive enough to convince me to buy another GS, but it certainly does not harm the chances.

The problem with goodwill and manufacturer support is it can change and just because BMW replaced my discs this time does not mean if I bought another GS and the FD failed just outside warranty that they would fix that under goodwill.

I would rather buy something known to be reliable and with a decent warranty, Honda score well here with a 3 year warranty. I certainly would not buy a bike where the warranty stipulates it must be washed after every ride!

The 3 year warranty on the VFR1200 was introduced due to the bad press the bike received re metal swarf issues shortly after the bike was introduced then subsequently re-called :augie

IMO all bike manufactirers should now be offering 3 year warranty

your spot on bob triumph said i had not cleaned it properly its a load of bollocks had to have a new rear brake cylinder because it was binding in the bore i complained to the dealer about a slapping noise on the front end when braking the dealer fixed that but refused to tell me what the diagnosis was because it was repaired under warranty??? thats why it sits in the garage with 530mls if your thinking of buying triumph go on triumph rat you will get the lowdown on the crap customer service and the wriggling out of warranty work

Dave,

You will only get it up to a certain point on Triumphrat.net. Their moderators don't like too much negativity about Triumph. If Rasher went on there and banged on about Triumphs in the same way he does about BMW's here he would soon find himself banned.They are much better about that on Triumphtorque.

The 800xc is a cracker of a bike, a joy to ride, you are in for a treat, well wear with your new steed rt001 :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom