London - Paris Challange

The Moo

Reaction score
How about a look at a run to Paris (from London) in 2008 for a chosen charity. Monies raised to INCLUDE the personal costs (if this is said up-front; and the costs are worked out before and then taken from the total - for those who cannot afford the London - Paris part of it) how would that be?

I would suggest a charity like Riders.org as although I would like to support the air ambulance and other "home" causes; I think there are so many causes in Africa and poorer countries where SO many more can be saved for relatively small amounts of money. (MPO...so don't shoot me down pls).

May/June next year or later (date to be agreed once we know the time for travel etc); whoever wants to come; costs to be sorted beforehand with minimum amounts to be raised by each person ;not a race but a collaboration of GSer's; accomodation cheap; food cheap; route fairly straight forward; camoradourie wonderful; challenge for all; that sort of thing......

lets throw the ball in the air...and lets see who shoots it down....only kidding...but it gets the discussions moving on....and I am happy to be part of the organising team....who wants to join me.....(or not as the case may be!). PM or answer here.

:aidan by the way...and here's to Eire winning the 6 Nations (as well as the Triple Crown) tomorrow!!

How about a look at a run to Paris (from London) in 2008 for a chosen charity.

I would suggest a charity like Riders.org as although I would like to support the air ambulance and other "home" causes;

I think there are so many causes in Africa and poorer countries where SO many more can be saved for relatively small amounts of money. (MPO...so don't shoot me down pls).

QUOTE]

so which do you prefer?
the 'other home causes'
or
"where SO many more can be saved for relatively small amounts of money. ":thumb2 how true
(the latter I agree with- you can do so so much more if you are prepared to go the extra mile- [quite a few extra ones!]

SOS Villages - orphans in African - so many need action to help them
To be an orphan anywhere must be so desperatly hard
To be an orphan in Africa .............. Lord help us to help them.

How about a look at a run to Paris (from London) in 2008 for a chosen charity.

I would suggest a charity like Riders.org as although I would like to support the air ambulance and other "home" causes;

I think there are so many causes in Africa and poorer countries where SO many more can be saved for relatively small amounts of money. (MPO...so don't shoot me down pls).

QUOTE]

so which do you prefer?
the 'other home causes'
or
"where SO many more can be saved for relatively small amounts of money. ":thumb2 how true
(the latter I agree with- you can do so so much more if you are prepared to go the extra mile- [quite a few extra ones!]

SOS Villages - orphans in African - so many need action to help them
To be an orphan anywhere must be so desperatly hard
To be an orphan in Africa .............. Lord help us to help them.

Split them!! The money that helps is the important thing really...it is a suggestion to do "riders.org" as they are bike related...but anything else is fine too.......so many people, so many different opinions....:nenau

what do people think...but at some point a decision has to be made...OR people do it for their own choice of charity and we all bunch together (as occurs in things like the London Marathon!). Its more to do with doing something that WILL do something and something that will be a personal challenge too.

sending it up the flag pole........................

Moo

Moo....don't let Bert distract you or water down your drive....he's very wrong to try and hijack your idea IMO.

We all have our 'pet' charities and most are as worthy as the next......and yes, £100 given to one would have a dfferent effect to £100 to another...but fund raising doesn't work if it's all prioritised like that- if it was, only one or two charities would get anything and the smaller, local charities that do very valuable yet not necessarily 'life saving' work would get fekk all.

I think the drive and enthusiasm to support a particular cause in an event here that comes from the person/people driving it is far more important, and the only thing that's likely to make anything succeed...... watering it down and splitting causes leads to a lack of focus .

The person driving any charity event has to be totally committed, very single minded to the point of being aggressive almost, and dedicated to that cause so they've got the drive to push through the crap and all the people saying 'no' and still make some money for it.......

Bert is totally committed to his cause, and the TITS team were and are to ours, just like the PWAB mob, TheToad to his, Aidan and Jochen to theirs etc etc.......and Bert should be commended for what he's done, but the drive to make any event succeed is crucial, and has to come from the person/people organising it.

OOPs

:surrender 'Twas' not the intention to hijack anything :blast so humble grovels if it was seen 2 b so . Just offering an alternative where you can reach many deserving kiddies :thumb
Anyway Moo, you might need a Frog GS'er to ride 'shot gun' & as interpreter to Paris & back :D

Monies raised to INCLUDE the personal costs

Don't anyone jump on me, it is only my opinion and I don't even know if I have any place voicing it anyway as I wasn't involved in the pink way round but ...

That bit might cause some unease for some people either taking part or others giving money.

Thats all, don't take it the wrong way and be offended in any way, it is only my opinion.

I'll get me coat.

Jim

Don't anyone jump on me, it is only my opinion and I don't even know if I have any place voicing it anyway as I wasn't involved in the pink way round but ...

That bit might cause some unease for some people either taking part or others giving money.

Thats all, don't take it the wrong way and be offended in any way, it is only my opinion.

I'll get me coat.

Jim

I think you're completely right Jim.

Looking at it cynically, it would be easy to say 'why should I pay for you to go on a jolly when I could just give all of the money to the charity you say you're supporting'.

It's why the TITS team paid for their own fuel and accommodation, the PWAB team bought their own fuel etc.... and I know that Bert is also well out of pocket for his trip, Marion paid a very large sum out of hers to have the calenders made etc etc.....( I can't mention one or two more I know about)

I don't think any of the events or fundraisers I've seen here have ever crossed the line , but you're right, it is something to be careful about.

there is no easy answer to the "personal cost" side of things. There are a huge number of charities that stipulate (esp the adventure ones) that the money for flights etc etc is paid for as part of the donations and that this is up-front for the person involved before they are even accepted.
I did not post this with the idea that people had to agree with this way of doing things...not at all....I found that asking for help with fuel (as my husband and I paid a CONSIDERABLE amount out for both fuel and accomodation when doing the PWA (because of the distances involved) was shot down in flames in some quarters....and not in others.....

if personal cost etc etc is going to put people off being able to run or be involved in a charitable event ...then it is only right that there try to be answers and discussions and disagreements and solutions about how those types of people can get involved. None of us are rich...and I don't know many people who would see a charitable run ..where you are running something to raise money...as something purely for personal gain.

Please keep discussing. So many people have said that they can't get involved or WON't get involved because of personal cost...and yet to do something like a trip to Paris and back; or a run around Britain.....it would change alot of peoples lives.

All charitable events cost money...all of them do! It is a suggestion and nothing more...I take neither the negative nor the positive responses personally...if I did...I would never stand here and say I want to be involved.

Now...is anyone at all interested in getting involved..personal finances paid for or not.....Jaq has said "ay"...any more?

Moo:)

This is always a tricky one

IF and it is a big IF you are raing money for a charity and you need to retain a percentage to cover your costs then this must be approved by the registered charity's board of Trustees.
When I ddi my second mission to Mali, I was allowed to accept the donations made by GS'ers and others relating to diesel and ferry costs ONLY.

What Bill says is true- 'well out of pocket' doesn't quite do justice to my costs which ran into big 4 digits- I did it because I felt driven and wanted to go back with something serious to help. Many here and elsewhere did great things to help- I could not have done it alone-

Unless you are wealthy (I am not- long way from:( ), you just can't keep running missions like these unless you have support for your expenses of which there are many. This requires, as above, the prior blessing of the charity.
The key is maintaining absolute transparency as to what you are doing- by this, I mean having written authorities, using a dedicated bank account, etc etc all of which can be audited at any time and statements etc which can be scanned and uploaded to the site for all to see.

If you are not raising funds for a registered charity, you do not have to observe stringent rules but, again IMHO, transparency is a must. Donors must know if you are going to retain a % for vehicle depreciation/running costs/visas etc etc
in order for them to decide whether , or not, they wish to get involved.

BTW- involved- well, if I can help- yes :) like I said - even vertically challenged demi frogs can come in handy!

I guess my position if I were approached to give money to such an event would be ....
If I had £50 to give to a charity would it be better to send it to them direct or give it to someone to take £10 expences out of it before forwarding it on for me.

IF and it is a big IF you are raing money for a charity and you need to retain a percentage to cover your costs then this must be approved by the registered charity's board of Trustees.
When I ddi my second mission to Mali, I was allowed to accept the donations made by GS'ers and others relating to diesel and ferry costs ONLY.

What Bill says is true- 'well out of pocket' doesn't quite do justice to my costs which ran into big 4 digits- I did it because I felt driven and wanted to go back with something serious to help. Many here and elsewhere did great things to help- I could not have done it alone-

Unless you are wealthy (I am not- long way from:( ), you just can't keep running missions like these unless you have support for your expenses of which there are many. This requires, as above, the prior blessing of the charity.
The key is maintaining absolute transparency as to what you are doing- by this, I mean having written authorities, using a dedicated bank account, etc etc all of which can be audited at any time and statements etc which can be scanned and uploaded to the site for all to see.

If you are not raising funds for a registered charity, you do not have to observe stringent rules but, again IMHO, transparency is a must. Donors must know if you are going to retain a % for vehicle depreciation/running costs/visas etc etc
in order for them to decide whether , or not, they wish to get involved.

BTW- involved- well, if I can help- yes :) like I said - even vertically challenged demi frogs can come in handy!

I may be reading this in the wrong way...but transparency in ANY business is a must and I feel just a little like there is something adrift in the way my motives are being percieved. "IF and only IF".....I am not quite sure what you mean by that....

my idea is to raise money for Riders.org. ANY form of raising money HAS to be transparent...I am not naive and I am not intending on just getting involved in and trying to organise a "fly by night" charitable event.

I am also in the midst of another charitable event which involves a personal walk to raise money for another charity...and because the amounts are small..I can do this on my own (with a mate who is also involved raising dosh for another cause).

To be honest...if this is going to be such an issue for you and how I am raising the issue regarding personal cost..then perhaps you should stay with the things you are organising and leave me to try to see what others feel. ....and here I was saying I wouldn't feel personally attacked. I am feeling abit under barrage by our french friend.....and why? are people not allowed to have a differing opinion????

perhaps I am reading this the wrong way.....I am not faultless......far from it......but .....

Moo

I guess my position if I were approached to give money to such an event would be ....
If I had £50 to give to a charity would it be better to send it to them direct or give it to someone to take £10 expences out of it before forwarding it on for me.

I agree..but make sure the charity you send it to does not take its expenses out before they give it to the people in need! Most charities do this...and people are naive to think they dont.

When you give

to any one who delivers Point-to-Point like Bill at Bansang etc, all the money goes there.

When you donate to charity, they have an infrastructure to support - buildings/wages/etc etc so really what proportion of what you give actually gets materials etc to where they are needed is a very difficult one to answer:nenau

Geeeeeeeeeez

I am not attacking anyone :blast how the heck are you interpreting this? must be my Franglais confusing things......:blast

When I said IF and only IF you are raising money for a registered charity, AND you want/need to retain a proportion forpersonal costs, you must get prior approval of the Board of Trustees of that charity. There are no personal remarks here:blast .I am just telling you there are different schools of thought depending on what it is you want to etc etc and how people perceive things
I experienced difficulties on my second mission with regards to personal donations to go to diesel and ferry cost- It caused a "to and fro-ing" which I am simply telling you about to help you avoid possible problems. That is all.

You must decide the best way and then do it! and I wish you success:thumb
Now I'll get me coat ..........:101
P.S Quote: "I take neither the negative nor the positive responses personally...if I did...I would never stand here and say I want to be involved."
This bit might need revising!!;)

I would never be so naive to beleive that most charities don't take a cut and indeed the big organizations need to pay big salaries to attract the skilled people to make sure they are run well and get the most from the money that is left. I gladly give to Oxfam knowing that alot of people are earning a bloody good wage but, he or she is very likely doing a good job.
Small fund raising events are however different because they still have to give the money to the organization who need to take their expences, if the fund raisers take expences too, then very quickly the amount actually going to 'the good cause' is greatly reduced.

I am not attacking anyone :blast how the heck are you interpreting this? must be my Franglais confusing things......:blast

When I said IF and only IF you are raising money for a registered charity, AND you want/need to retain a proportion forpersonal costs, you must get prior approval of the Board of Trustees of that charity. There are no personal remarks here:blast .I am just telling you there are different schools of thought depending on what it is you want to etc etc and how people perceive things
I experienced difficulties on my second mission with regards to personal donations to go to diesel and ferry cost- It caused a "to and fro-ing" which I am simply telling you about to help you avoid possible problems. That is all.

You must decide the best way and then do it! and I wish you success:thumb
Now I'll get me coat ..........:101
P.S Quote: "I take neither the negative nor the positive responses personally...if I did...I would never stand here and say I want to be involved."
This bit might need revising!!;)

Bert,
Last year there were alot of GSer's who got involved with the PWAB charitable event. At one point I asked the not so popular question of "is there any help for fuel?" Some were appreciative that I had stuck my neck out and asked the question..others were a tad pissed off (why I do not know!!..perhaps I was treading on toes..I dont't know!).
BUT....when you answer a question with a "IF and only If" statement which seemed to call into question my motives for a SIMPLE QUESTION..which is to ask if people think that perhaps we can raise money for the costs as well as the charity.......it is worth asking the question!!
A trip to Paris and back is an idea! It is one that I was wondering if other people might like to be involved with. When I asked about what the PWA team might like to try again...some said that the "personal costs" would preclude tem from taking part. SO..I asked about taking this into account. WHEN I asked about it last year..quite a few people said that they would be happy to contribute to a fund for the petrol so that the monies that we raised for the event would wholly go to the charity etc etc etc.

So the comments made above rather strongly WERE taken in a personal way (slightly) as I know where I am coming from and why I am asking the question. I appreciate your comments...but felt abit weird about the tone..thats all. Writing can ALWAYS cause problems as people can misinterpret what you mean....a common issue in chat rooms.....so forgive if I was too quick to respond.

Moo

I would never be so naive to beleive that most charities don't take a cut and indeed the big organizations need to pay big salaries to attract the skilled people to make sure they are run well and get the most from the money that is left. I gladly give to Oxfam knowing that alot of people are earning a bloody good wage but, he or she is very likely doing a good job.
Small fund raising events are however different because they still have to give the money to the organization who need to take their expences, if the fund raisers take expences too, then very quickly the amount actually going to 'the good cause' is greatly reduced.

AS I said to Bert.....read my last post! Sorry..but I am asking a simple question as if no one askes the question and no one does anything because they can't afford to..no money will be raised anyway! Its a catch 22!!

Moo

If I have offended

you I regret it and apologize
There was no personal ambiguity or implied negative in any way whatsoever.
Juts put it down to my poor control of the English language!
If you need help, please ask
:hug
........and just to show goodwill - I'll pledge £30

Back
Top Bottom