Lowered GSA

garytong

Reaction score
Good afternoon guys and girls.
I am living in France, Paris, and just about to part with some hard earned cash for a 1200GS or GSA. I have just found a 2016 GSA with 40k kms, which I want to look at this weekend. Now here is the rub; it has a factory lowering kit fitted. Can anyone advise WHAT needs to be changed to undo the mod, what parts are needed? I need to travel some distance to look at the bike and with the limited derestriction of the lockdown its a pain in the arse to travel. If its an expensive job, regarding parts to change back, then I won't bother with the trip.
Thanks in advance for all advice.
2016ADV.jpg

I would imagine it'll not be worth it.

Front and rear suspension units, side and main stand. Not sure if anything else.

Have a look at this site, you can check part numbers for both and see.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select

Hmm i posted the same, but for some reason it didnt post

The suspension is ESA units which will cost a packet, and must be changed for like.

it may need some dealer coding as well

Be patient there are loads out there. If you are in a hurry and if you are happy to have a std GS then have the lowered GSA as it is about the same height. At 40k km the suspension will have seen it's best days, a good bargaining point. If it is a good price go for it.

Hello there!
To answer quickly to your question only the shock is factory lowered by the internal spacers.
You will need a standard side stand and centre stand to go with it...
There is a big chance that this bike is fitted with GS low spec suspension.
The internal spacer can be removed and the suspension will go back to standard GS high but not GSA!!! The frame is the same as standard GSA.
That is another 10mm...
Just take a look at that picture below
Service is also not a bad idea on the picture shock with 12K and 5K miles 2013 and 2017 models. Yes, I know...
bd9c99382439f1e9d023bc3dbcb765f7.jpg
9ea1a84af1276d3a9040aa764a8d0090.jpg
789221ae9726684c7c6d2cc1d8fd99b0.jpg
8aa77540d38d531194b4342d97c29f6d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In the OP picture it looks like an ESA unit to me.
I might be talking out of my arse but I thought the lowered shock had a shorter strut and a different spring length otherwise you would be effectively preloading it with a spacer.

Why are you thinking of making tall? If you are considering a standard GS this is the same height. I had a GSA and it was too tall. I was going to lower it by changing the suspension to standard GS, but got rid before I'd had chance to do it. I wish I'd had the lowered to start with. Unless you have giraffe legs it will be great.

Last edited:
Why are you thinking of making tall? If you are considering a standard GS this is the same height. I had a GSA and it was too tall. I was going to lower it by changing the suspension to standard GS, but got rid before I'd had chance to do it. I wish I'd had the lowered to start with. Unless you have giraffe legs it will be great.

Totally agree with this. I’ve had both gs and gsa. I had a loan of a lowered gsa for a few days and loved it. JJH

Lowered r1200/1250 gsa rides fine just looks a bit odd and stunted, for anyone with an inside leg length under 30' it is probably a better bet

In the OP picture it looks like an ESA unit to me.
I might be talking out of my arse but I thought the lowered shock had a shorter strut and a different spring length otherwise you would be effectively preloading it with a spacer.

My thoughts as well .

+1 for the lowered GSA.

I have ridden lowered GSA in very rough terrain, and it is not hampered by it's lower suspension. Some people actually prefer the lowered version in terrain since the CG is lower, so they find it easier to ride.

To OP.:
Try riding the bike. If it is to your liking, don't even consider rebuilding it, it's not worth the cost. So if the lowered bike is too low (which I doubt very much), go for another bike.

My bet? I think you will be positively surprised about the lowered bike and like it.

Thanks for all the wisdom guys.
Decision made, you've persuaded me, I'm going to take a look;)
I'm 6'1" rode a GS1100 for years with 280k on the clock and loved it and I'm sure that was quite low? I'll report back
Many thanks and have a great day.

I'm 6'1" rode a GS1100 for years with 280k on the clock and loved it and I'm sure that was quite low? I'll report back

Lets us know how you get on,

oh and we want pics when you come home on it ;)

Looks to have an aftermarket seat. Easy to replace with a standard seat if you are cramped, or just raise in the mounts.

You could buy a standard seat from ebay, then sell yours for possibly more.

And another for the low gsa.I like the fact i can flat foot on such a big bike.Especially two up with luggage.

Hi Denzo,
Very nice info with pictures of dismantled ESA shock.
I'm about to buy a GSA but want a lowered one so this opens up the market for me.
Does this means that you also can lower a Std height 1200 GSA -2018 with Dyn-ESA by just rebuilding the std shock including this internal spacer and a new lower spring (+kickstand and central stand)?
/Micke

Back
Top Bottom