Madeira - Holiday and Bike Hire

KickStarter

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello people!

So my partner and I are looking at a nice holiday to Madeira at the end of August.

I'm in the process of attempting to conviner her, that instead of a hire car, we should hire a bike and use that as our way of getting around the Island, to different activities etc.,
The hire place has loan helmets and top boxes inc on the bike.

She is somewhat adverse to the idea, and would rather have a car.. ..but I'm working on it.

Has anyone ridden on the Island and had any pointers, which would perhaps support the idea of a hire bike for the week?
Or any feedback on why this is a bad idea, I suppose I'd better hear that too.

Cheers guys and girls,

Kick

Great thank you!

Was hoping for any first hand experence too, if any riders have any!

Great thank you!

Was hoping for any first hand experence too, if any riders have any!

You could be the first. A trailblazer. A shooting star across the firmament. Your name will be carved into the very walls of UKGSsr and venerated for years to come.

PS If there is no Tesco there, nobody will have been.

You could be the first. A trailblazer. A shooting star across the firmament. Your name will be carved into the very walls of UKGSsr and venerated for years to come.

PS If there is no Tesco there, nobody will have been.

I’m struggling to read your tone here!!

I was aiming to strike up a little conversation about riding in Madeira…

Understandably perhaps, Madeira is not somewhere which comes up on the forum at all often, I’m afraid. You might well be the amongst the first (if not, maybe THE first) to experience a fly-ride holiday to the island.

Given the number of motorbike hire places on the island, it’s easy to assume that it’s a popular enough destination though. Be sure to let us know how you get on, please.

In the meantime, I have had a dig around in the German websites (Germans are much keener motorcycle riders and travellers than Brits ever are) and found you some ideas. It’s all in foreign but Google or other search engines will translate it it into Christian speak very easily.

Here’s a sample: https://www.tourenfahrer.de/tour-da...ng-mit-einer-prise-herbst-tour-3-1130/detail/

5f6e57c7ace9434fea7ec0c65081f0cd.png

ea79f8dfff5fc5814d2c0d4ef024289c.png

ba015e840a6dc3cb6bcf4cd2e4807b68.png

6320bb94c7d42d429b928d0cfc9138fb.png

Surf around a bit (you can’t break anything) and think outside the box. There is stuff out there, way beyond UKGSer.

You’re new here aren’t you...;). I miss Wappers from the pub....:thumb2

The Prince of Sarcasm. The Earl of Irony. The Duke of Deadpan. Read it with a wry smile and enjoy the very helpful information which always comes with it. :thumb2

Visited Madeira in 2019. Three couples and we hired three 660 Teneres from https://www.vivemadeira.com/
The bikes were ideal for the island. The scenery is varied and with many spectacular views. Best enjoyed by motorcycle.
Roads are generally narrow and winding and steep in many places.
Many times we were on roads where had we been in a hire car there would have been insufficient room to pass another vehicle.
Also Funchal town can get very busy with limited parking.
No problem on a bike.
The hire company delivered the bikes to our accommodation and were quick to respond when I had a puncture.
My wife would initially have preferred a hire car but agreed that the bike was a much better option on the island.
Obviously I am biased but I genuinely cant think of anything that makes it a bad idea.
Hope this helps.

Missed all these comments!! I'm going to read through properly this afternoon!!

So, got back the other day and what a beautiful Island!!

I had a great time, I couldn't convince my partner to have a hirebike for the full week, so we had just one day, but it was great.

Hired a Yamaha Ténéré 700 from these guys: https://www.vivemadeira.com/
and did one of the longer tours: https://www.tourenfahrer.de/tour-da...ng-mit-einer-prise-herbst-tour-4-1131/detail/
(Thanks @Wapping for the suggestion there)

Lovely roads to ride, only unconfortable time was when I went around a really right and steep left hand corner over taking parked up workmen, to find a bin truck there, tried to hold the bike on the front break only and of course it just rolled backwards, so just stalled the bike to use the engine break!

I did a days off roading with Juan of https://mountaingadget.pt/

That was loads of fun, really really hard, but great fun!!

All in all, great place for a holiday - I'm not entirely sure it would be suitable for a full weeks riding, and I wouldn't recomend going for a riding holiday, but in terms of a holiday with riding, spot on.

Good stuff KS :clap ( I refuse to do a "like" as it kills the art of conversation and it's just fekkin lazy.....isn't it Wapping. ;) )

Good stuff KS :clap ( I refuse to do a "like" as it kills the art of conversation and it's just fekkin lazy.....isn't it Wapping. ;) )
I've done it for you.

Now! Where the heck is Madeira? 🤪

KS - Many thanks for reporting back, some great info' there.

Madeira was recommended to me for a walking/cycling holiday but I was put off due to the reviews re the hilly landscape. The hills won't have changed but I'm having second thoughts.

Cheers..... (y)

I love my cycling Jonnie, and was going to hire a road bike for the day, but bottled it....
Cycled through the alps last year and loved it, but Maderia is just SO hilly, even to do just 60km would be over 3,000 of climbing, there's just no flat inbetween.

Here's a snap from the off roading...

20230903_145321.jpg

Back
Top Bottom