Manual engine turn over?

Gsnelly

Reaction score
Hi all, just picked up my new ( used) 2012 gsa with 13k on it! Well chuffed.
I am planning on generally getting it up to scratch with all the fluids/filters changing…..but I would like to change the alternator belt too. My question is……..can I manually turn the engine over using the crank bolt without having to remove the plugs? Or will it just be too much resistance?
thank you from a newbie

Hi all, just picked up my new ( used) 2012 gsa with 13k on it! Well chuffed.
I am planning on generally getting it up to scratch with all the fluids/filters changing…..but I would like to change the alternator belt too. My question is……..can I manually turn the engine over using the crank bolt without having to remove the plugs? Or will it just be too much resistance?
thank you from a newbie
Make life easy for yourself and remove the plugs, it will only take a couple of minutes.

2012, would be a twin cam, alternator above the engine, 2013,2014 are the liquid cooled versions with the stator where the old clutch sat.

Just remove the plastic coveron the front of the engine to expose the belt and pullys (if your not sure). Get professional help

Get the metal coil puller rather than the plastic one! I found it easier (after pulling the plugs) to put the bike in sixth gear so I could turn the engine over using my foot on the rear wheel leaving both hands free to get the alternator belt off and new one on.

Thank you all so far, sounds like removing a couple of the plugs will help…….guess I now need a coil puller too then!
No need, I just wrap electrical tape around two flat blade screwdrivers then lever the coils out gently without any harm done.

For fitting the new belt, I used a couple of strips of plastic cut from an old milk bottle to prevent the belt getting damaged on the ribs as it stretches over the pulley. Bike in 6th gear, set the belt up then turn the rear wheel over with my boot whilst fitting the belt (watch your fingers !). Belt goes over the pulley then drops into the grooves as it rotates.

Last edited:
Good tips, I did wonder if I could make some sort of parallel armed puller device for the coils…….i like the idea of using the back wheel to advance the crank as well. Thank you all……..I’m off to cut up a plastic bottle ready for me new belt fit !

I braided two lengths of string and looped one length round the stick one way, and the the other the other way

some gentle pulling and the stick popped off

I have the tool for removing/ replacing belt if you interested. And no, taking plugs makes it easier but not essential.

I have the tool for removing/ replacing belt if you interested. And no, taking plugs makes it easier but not essential.
Thank you very much for the offer, I’m going to try it using the bits of plastic method! I spoke with motorworks and they suggested that the “elast” style belt is easier to fit…….see how I go 😳
I’m glad the engine turn over is doable with the plugs in……..it’s an adventure model so has guards on the valve covers as well…….if I can get an afternoon pass, I will remove them, if I end up squeezing it in……I might have to enlist a mate to turn the back wheel while I wrestle the belt!
cheers and thanks again

I take a plug out each side to make life easy. I'll use the 6th gear and roll the rear wheel when doing valves, but I think you'd need to be a contortionist to do that and faff about putting an alternator belt on at the same time.

I use a large pair of adjustable pump pliers, put there belt on the top pulley and as much as you can onto the right had side of the lower pulley (as you look at it from the front) and roll it on with the pliers. The pliers have the advantage of keeping the belt in place too.

Always told you need to only ever turn the crank nut CLOCKWISE because doing it anticlockwise could snap the cam chain tensioners...

Roger

I take a plug out each side to make life easy. I'll use the 6th gear and roll the rear wheel when doing valves, but I think you'd need to be a contortionist to do that and faff about putting an alternator belt on at the same time.

I use a large pair of adjustable pump pliers, put there belt on the top pulley and as much as you can onto the right had side of the lower pulley (as you look at it from the front) and roll it on with the pliers. The pliers have the advantage of keeping the belt in place too.

Always told you need to only ever turn the crank nut CLOCKWISE because doing it anticlockwise could snap the cam chain tensioners...

Roger
Great info, thank you……….I carried out the service and belt change today, with all the pointers from here it was no problem. Thank you all.

Back
Top Bottom