Map Versions and Aspect Ratio

buncobooth

Reaction score
This may sound stupid but I will ask anyway ! I have a few historic maps on my PC from 2011.1 to 2013.4. When I select the 2011.1 map set in either Mapsource or Basecamp the map looks "correct", but when I open any later one it stretches it out so it is wider but the same height. It looks kind of strange, but I presume that it is a display thing and would not mess up any routing calculations etc. I would call Garmin and ask them but I don't have half an hour to wait for somebody to say "durr I don't know" so thought I would ask here instead !

Ian

Yes, it's a display thing. It doesn't affect route calculations in any way.

It's to do with how the map tiles are cached, but I don't remember which version of cartography the change was made in.

"durr I don't know"

But I find it really annoying when plotting routes because my sense of where locations are (to the SE, SW etc) does not marry up with the proxy stretched screen layout. Its shite.

Are there peeps out there who haven't got this issue with 2013 version maps then?

Sorry, but I don't have this probelem with the latest maps (or for that matter, with any of the previous map versions). I am using Basecamp on a Mac, rather that Mapsource.

So, sorry, I cannot really suggest anything other than ringing Garmin. In my experience, the guys and gals who answer there are very good

In Mapsource, don't know about Basecamp, hold down CTRL and ALT and press A

You can then enter the desired projection angle for the map. You have to then re-start the application.
CTR ALT A doesn't do anything on my PC, reading pages from the Garmin forum suggests correcting perspective in Mapsource will also correct it in Basecamp? (Never been an issue in Mapsource) What ever, it doesn't work for me and after all this time garmin should get its finger out and sort this perspective issue because it puts me right off Basecamp :rob

Long live Mapsource, thank god it still works! :thumb

In Mapsource, don't know about Basecamp, hold down CTRL and ALT and press A

You can then enter the desired projection angle for the map. You have to then re-start the application.

Does this work ? What should you change the projection angle to ? I did call Garmin and they said it is normal but didn't really have an explanation why it happens !

Back
Top Bottom