Mike O.....i'm on my way!

Rushy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Friday 26th February house sale completed........

Monday 1st March funds received.........

Thursday 4th March booked tickets for;

Rushy's West Coast USA Tour 2004!!!!!!!!!!

3 mths of wandering around the West of the USA. Flying from London to Seattle on 25th of March and returning same time in June. Decided last minute not to bother with Visa app' to stay for longer. I need to get a job middle of the year rather than wait until nearer Christmas.

After weeks of indecision and a bit of advice from Advrider members I have decided to buy a GS when I arrive rather than ship my own. Its cheaper, less hassle and no risk of damage to my pride and joy. 1100's and 1150's are in short supply at the local dealers so may go for F650. Would prefer the off road option over getting someting like an RT.

So its 2 weeks in Seattle buying a bike and meeting a friend there who emigrates to US a week after I arrive. Pop into British Columbia , Vancouver etc.

Then heading south (Oregon, California, Nevada, Arizona), hopefully getting as far as Mexico before heading back north via the Canyonlands and up into Utah ,Colorado, Nebraska and South Dakota.

Then its west / north west thru' Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and back to Seattle to see how my mate and his family have settled into the american way of life. Obviously visiting loads of places on the way, too many to mention.

If you are in the area Mike ( and it's a bloody big area ) between April, May and June let me know and we will meet up and share a few stories over a few more beers!! Bring QBOTU along!!!!

Then its sell the bike, fly home with loads of pictures , great memories and hopefully having made a few new friends.

USA here I come!

Ian

Not wanting to piss on your bonfire (because you have a top plan there!) but how are you going to register and insure a bike in the USA without a permanent place of residence? Also, bike insurance costs might surprise you. And dont' forget you pay sales tax on 2nd hand bikes & cars in the USA. Gits. Make sure you know what you are letting yourself in for well before time.

Mike

Rushy said:
After weeks of indecision and a bit of advice from Advrider members I have decided to buy a GS when I arrive rather than ship my own. Its cheaper, less hassle and no risk of damage to my pride and joy. 1100's and 1150's are in short supply at the local dealers so may go for F650.

Congratulations, Ian. You couldn't have picked a better time to come over, as the US dollar is practically worthless at the moment. We bought various items to service Mike O's bike while he was in Daytona, and he mentioned to me that the same item would cost two or three times as much in England. :(

If you buy a motorcycle here, look for a used one. Motorcycles depreciate terribly in just a couple of years, and it makes no sense whatever to buy a new one. An F650 might be an ideal choice for your trip, as they seem imune to the sorts of mechanical failures that plague the big boxers.

mikebelch said:
Not wanting to piss on your bonfire (because you have a top plan there!) but how are you going to register and insure a bike in the USA without a permanent place of residence? Also, bike insurance costs might surprise you. And dont' forget you pay sales tax on 2nd hand bikes & cars in the USA. Gits. Make sure you know what you are letting yourself in for well before time.

Mike

Since he has a friend living in Washington state, might it not be possible for him to make the purchase and register the bike in his name? Doing that would also facilitate the sale of the bike when Ian returns to England.

I would advise against the 650 on the grounds of the distances you will be covering. Its a big country and even bigger out West where you will be spending most of your time. There will inevitably be times where you will have to use the Interstate/Freeway system and you will really miss the extra cylinder. Anyway, good luck and enjoy your trip. :)

Aurelius said:
Since he has a friend living in Washington state, might it not be possible for him to make the purchase and register the bike in his name? Doing that would also facilitate the sale of the bike when Ian returns to England.

I was actually hoping to use my mates permanent address to register the bike to, but keep it in my name. Which do you think is best?

If I register it in his name then when I get stopped for speeding etc ( and it will happen) I will have to explain why the bike is registered to someone else + I will have to explain to the insurance company why the bike is not registered to me.

If I use his address and my name then I will have to explain why the address on my licence and IDP is different to that on the registration for the bike.

Any advice?

Ian

wish i could join you; wonder if i need a vets certificate for the horse ( and cart); enjoy yourself, get away from all the crap here;

:thumb

Ian when do you fly out? have you time for a pint in the Case tomorrow evening? if not, have a good trip, I will catch up with you in the summer.:beerjug:

I wouldn't bother mate...

2774816-L.jpg

...it sucks here.

Mike:D

Keith Chapman said:
Ian when do you fly out? have you time for a pint in the Case tomorrow evening? if not, have a good trip, I will catch up with you in the summer.:beerjug:

Thanks Keith but I am 200 miles north of you at the moment and its likely to stay that way until I leave.........I have a connecting flight down to Heathrow.

Knock on my door now and its likely to be answered by a very attractive 22 year old called Summer ( or you may be unlucky and get mer mum instead).

Ian

Rushy said:
I was actually hoping to use my mates permanent address to register the bike to, but keep it in my name. Which do you think is best?

If I register it in his name then when I get stopped for speeding etc ( and it will happen) I will have to explain why the bike is registered to someone else + I will have to explain to the insurance company why the bike is not registered to me.

I shouldn't think it would present any problem. We borrow each other's vehicles all the time without a worry. If you're stopped, the police will run the plates through their computer, which will instantly inform them if the bike is stolen. When it comes up negative, they can't very well charge you with anything other than speeding. As for the insurance, that would depend on how the policy is written. Usually the vehicle is covered regardless of who rides/drives it, so that shouldn't pose a problem either.

If I use his address and my name then I will have to explain why the address on my licence and IDP is different to that on the registration for the bike.

So explain it. There's nothing illegal about riding a borrowed vehicle. But just to make certain, I'll ask the police officers on the ADVrider forum if they foresee any potential problems. I should have an answer this evening.

Ian,

I've received several answers from policemen on the ADVrider forum, all of whom agree that riding a motorcycle that's not registered to you should present no problems. Here's what one officer had to say:

"Not a problem. It does not matter who is the owner of the bike or who bought the insurance. If the rider has a valid drivers license (including EU) there would not be an issue, just tell him to bring his passport. It would not be a bad idea to have the registered owner make a signed/notorized document giving the driver permission to be on the bike...to head off a roadside investigation."

Back
Top Bottom