My 2011 TC is misbehaving - now in Italy...

Which is telling me the rear shock is on its way out, and notchy bearings is another problem.
I'm back home. The ride was great. I love the motor on this bike...just that handling niggle... send I think you might be right. Looks like that appointment with Luke is due for a full refurb... much sooner rather than later!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I'm back home. The ride was great. I love the motor on this bike...just that handling niggle... send I think you might be right. Looks like that appointment with Luke is due for a full refurb... much sooner rather than later!

If you do take the shock off, check with Luke, if I remember it has to be set to low I think or something like that, when removed.

If you do take the shock off, check with Luke, if I remember it has to be set to low I think or something like that, when removed.
Good tip . I'm going to do this pronto before the weather really changes (and Lee gets booked out!). I'll have to do the steering bearings while he's got the shocks !

An update...

Ref my post above and compliments Scott the weaving I had at speed. I'm wondering if I've found the source of the problem. This morning as I protested to leave Switzerland, bike in the centre stand, front wheel off the ground. I discovered the steering bearings are all notch.

Bit surprised if I'm honest the bike had only done 25k miles. But that notchy/bumpy rotation was unmistakable.

So, would this cause the weave I experienced? I think it definitely explains the poor tackling at very low speed (sub 10mph). But at higher speed? Thoughts welcome.

Incidentally, discovered that even with a full tank I can get a similar feel coming on. I'm fully aware of it now, and in an on the road investigation - playing with the suspension settings - I've found that 2 helmets with sport damping irons it out a lot.

Jeez. Just seen all those typos . My only excuse is, it was really sunny!

I,ve got a 2011 twin cam GSA, it doesn't weave at higher speeds but it does tip into corners very easily at low speed. The bars come round on to full lock with very little encouragement, especially when manoeuvering at low speeds. I don't feel any notchiness in the steering head bearings, I just thought it was a characteristic of these bikes. Would be interested to hear the view of others. :thumb2

I,ve got a 2011 twin cam GSA, it doesn't weave at higher speeds but it does tip into corners very easily at low speed. The bars come round on to full lock with very little encouragement, especially when manoeuvering at low speeds. I don't feel any notchiness in the steering head bearings, I just thought it was a characteristic of these bikes. Would be interested to hear the view of others. :thumb2
I reckon Smogbob is probably right about my suspension needing some attention. With all that luggage and high speeds tins need to be working right...

Your issue sounds more like tyres to me. Without getting onto an entirely different topic, I've just switched to Conti TA3s. Really nice tyre, but compared to the Tourances that I replaced, they turn-in a little slower- can't feel it anymore as I'm totally used to them. I guess I'm saying the tyres are very influential on the steering.

Back
Top Bottom