NAS Wanted (maybe)

andysdad

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is anyone looking to upgrade their NAS system?

Currently have a Synology 415Play (4 x 2TB) which is brilliant but looking to get something newer as the software will not be updated after October 2024.

Or should I not worry?

Cheers,

A

is the NAS backed up to the cloud or an offsite array?

if not, I would be more worried about the longevity of your spinning rust drives

Backed up to cloud as a backup! Unit has been faultless, I bought a spare drive but it's unused.

I'm probably panicking early - the OS will be updated for another 10 months and even then will be usable for a while.

Can you replace the Synology os with something like Open Media Vault?

Wow, I had better check my Synology Diskstation and do an update on it, is it just the DSM software or the firmware as well ?

My lad installed a NAS drive in a school using Samsung drives. Both failed about two years out within six months of each other. Not happy bunnies , as said above mechanical electronic is just that mechanical.

you can buy proper servers quite cheap second hand

I have a HP Proliant server running Unraid OS
Works flawless,
It currently has 32TB on it courtesy of 4x 8TB Seagate Ironwolf drives and a SSD used for cache

One drive (parity) is used for back up use only, it cleverly stores info from the 3 other drives in case of failure.
if a drive goes down, when you insert a new drive the parity rebuilds the missing data.
It does everything automatically, even turning on and off.
Currently boots up at 6pm and goes off at 1am, although i can turn it on remotely from my phone it i need access while away from home.
when i walk in the house my phone connects to WiFi and the server auto backs up my phone contact, photos and videos... only the new stuff that day, it knows what it already has.

I started with Synology NAS and lost too much data, and it was slow.

Wow, I had better check my Synology Diskstation and do an update on it, is it just the DSM software or the firmware as well ?
Adam,

If it is DSM 6.2 (pre-2013 units I believe) then it will no longer update after Oct 24. Anything 7.X is OK. Not sure about firmware but I've never updated mine (I think). Synology sent me an email - if you haven't registered, PM your email and I will forward it to you.

MZOKK - don't know about Open Media Vault - looked it up - bit technical for me. I presume it is an OS that you can load rather than buy Server versions of Windows etc.

Thanks everyone so far - I knew there would be expertise here!

According to Synology my DSJ12+ (i think) was due no more updates ages ago, yet they still come through with alarming regularity ?

Back
Top Bottom