Nav V not seen by laptop

Diamond Blade

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My Nav V came with the 2014 GS I bought last year, and it works perfectly well.
However, when I connect it to my laptop, to download GPX files, the laptop doesn't "see" it. The laptop "sees" my phone and other devices, so I'm confident it's not the problem.
Is there something in the settings of the Nav that I have to turn on, for other devices to recognise it? Any advice appreciated

Hi DB. Sometime you have to be patient. It takes a while. Mines also sensitive about the cable .. last thought, may be easier if you preload Garmin express on your laptop?
Sorry, another last thought.. could it be your virus checking software blocking the USB port?

Must be a data enabled cable, quite a common issue, a std power only USB won't work.

Top tip, use the one that came in the box 😉

Make sure your garmin express is upto fate, and

you don't have any old nav units set up (posible)?

Then try different usb ports..

It can take a few minutes for the two to see each other

Thanks Guys, I'm using the cable that was in the satnav box, but will source another. I will also try the Garmin Express suggestion. If I resolve the issue, I'll post it here. Thanks again

I've had a TC & Nav V for 9 years now and always had this issue. I've tried different leads and tried it in different ports on the various laptops I've had over the years
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, there's just no rhyme or reason to it. All I can suggest is perseverance and hopefully it will eventually work for you.
Mind, once I have got it working it's a bloody nightmare anyway but don't let thar put you off.
Best of luck. :thumb2

Thanks CCC. I tried 2 leads I found at the back of a drawer, and neither worked. I tried to update Garmin Express, but because the cable doesn't work...
I've ordered a new lead, so hopefully.......

Out of interest, how long are you waiting?

My Nav 6 used to take 10 minutes (literally) to be seen by any PC or Mac it was plugged into regardless of cable.

There’s also an issue on the later Mac/PCs with only USB 3 ports. The only way to get the Mac to see it was to use a USB hub, which Garmin documented on their website.

949e08341b2147b2ff69ba0ed932e753.jpg

the leads do make a difference, both my tomtom rider and the garmin need the lead they came with.
i have garmin express on my laptop and PC and they connect pretty quickly.

Out of interest, how long are you waiting?

My Nav 6 used to take 10 minutes (literally) to be seen by any PC or Mac it was plugged into regardless of cable.

TBH I kind of gave up after 4 or 5 mins, switching USB ports, or using other cables. I'll see how the new cable copes, and hopefully resolve the issue

Can anyone please help. My Nav 5 connects to Garmin Express through my desktop via a USB-A. I have purchased a new Dell laptop which only has a USB-C input. I have an Anker USB-C hub adapter in order to plug the Nav 5 into the hub via USB-A which in turn plugs into the USB-C port of the laptop. I have also tried Dell’s own USB-C to USB-A adapter with no success. Either way the laptop in unable to recognise the Nav 5. I spoke to Garmin who said not their problem even though others on the Web say there is a problem. Out of interest my XT is recognised with the laptop via the hub so I feel it is problem with the Nav 5. Any thought please?

Can anyone please help. My Nav 5 connects to Garmin Express through my desktop via a USB-A. I have purchased a new Dell laptop which only has a USB-C input. I have an Anker USB-C hub adapter in order to plug the Nav 5 into the hub via USB-A which in turn plugs into the USB-C port of the laptop. I have also tried Dell’s own USB-C to USB-A adapter with no success. Either way the laptop in unable to recognise the Nav 5. I spoke to Garmin who said not their problem even though others on the Web say there is a problem. Out of interest my XT is recognised with the laptop via the hub so I feel it is problem with the Nav 5. Any thought please?

its the same as not having the correct lead.

you are inserting the correct lead as far as your hub, but then the hub to the PC is the wrong lead :/
frustrating i know, but maybe something like this may help

if it doesn't, you will waste 6 quid though :/

Last edited:
Actually i just thought...

I have a Nav 6 and i have these

which is the opposite problem you have?

i will try and plug my GPS in type C and see if it works through these adapters?
i leave work in about 10 mins
Will let you know when i get home.

Ok im a plonker...
i do have those but my Nav6 wont plug into that derrrr....

So i have tried my hub (This one) and the garmin connects through USB C straight away.

I plugged my garmin with garmin USB A lead into the hub, and then the hub USB C into the C port on Laptop
worked first time.

Actually i just thought...

I have a Nav 6 and i have these

which is the opposite problem you have?

i will try and plug my GPS in type C and see if it works through these adapters?
i leave work in about 10 mins
Will let you know when i get home.

Barnoe Thanks for advice. I had an adapter tucked away and it worked. Many thanks

Had a similar issue at the beginning of the season and found that I just needed to put the satnav on the bike and ride it for a while to charge it - it must have gone below a threshold battery level to allow data transfer to the device - 3 hours later tried it with same computer and the same cable and it worked perfect for data transfer.

It seems that the data cable for transfer from computer does not allow the unit to charge.

You may have already tried this??

An update.
Tried lots of times with different cables, (sometimes leaving it connected for an hour) none worked, other than to charge the battery.
Got a new data-enabled cable, as suggested, and it connected instantly with the laptop. Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

An update.
Tried lots of times with different cables, (sometimes leaving it connected for an hour) none worked, other than to charge the battery.
Got a new data-enabled cable, as suggested, and it connected instantly with the laptop. Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

Now keep it with the nav ;) !!!

Back
Top Bottom