New Brittany Ferries Spain boats.

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We’ve used BF Portsmouth- Spain routes a lot since about 2007 or so, and found the boats (often the Cap Finisterre) and the routes very good.

Since the new boats were introduced, the outbound to Spain is now 2 nights onboard, rather than 1, which makes the route less attractive to start with. I don’t know why the journey is now longer.

Last year we came back from Bilbao on the the Galicia, one of the new green boats powered by vegetarians farts and I wasn’t impressed at all. The only bar area is in the middle of the boat, and there’s nowhere to hide if you don’t want to watch whatever’s on the many tellies.

The food was nowhere near as good as it was on the old boats, nor as good as the French crossings. Food and drink seemed more expensive (but then everything is). The cabin was smaller, and too hot, with the air con control not doing anything.

This confirmed that these new boats are not a place I want to spend 2 nights on, so I called Brittany Ferries to change my club voyage from the Spanish membership to French - has to be done manually. The Spanish membership is now £135, French £85. I also noticed that if you joined after 2021, the discounts are worse, only 5% on peak journeys.

Anyway, the BF lady asked why I was changing and I said it’s because I don’t like the new boats, so I’ll only be going to France now as I’d rather drive, and she said something like “the new boats aren’t everyone’s cup of tea” and said that Pont Aven still runs the route (it does but not on my dates).

The last trip was also a lot of money, and on balance now I’d rather drive through France since it’s not really a time saving to sail, and maybe take the 1 day sailing back from Spain.

Apparently BF have commissioned an electric boat too, so look forward to fares going up again to pay for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ve used BF Portsmouth- Spain routes a lot since about 2007 or so, and found the boats (often the Cap Finisterre) and the routes very good.

Since the new boats were introduced, the outbound to Spain is now 2 nights onboard, rather than 1, which makes the route less attractive to start with. I don’t know why the journey is now longer.

Last year we came back from Bilbao on the the Galicia, one of the new green boats powered by vegetarians farts and I wasn’t impressed at all. The only bar area is in the middle of the boat, and there’s nowhere to hide if you don’t want to watch whatever’s on the many tellies.

The food was nowhere near as good as it was on the old boats, nor as good as the French crossings. Food and drink seemed more expensive (but then everything is). The cabin was smaller, and too hot, with the air con control not doing anything.

This confirmed that these new boats are not a place I want to spend 2 nights on, so I called Brittany Ferries to change my club voyage from the Spanish membership to French - has to be done manually. The Spanish membership is now £135, French £85. I also noticed that if you joined after 2021, the discounts are worse, only 5% on peak journeys.

Anyway, the BF lady asked why I was changing and I said it’s because I don’t like the new boats, so I’ll only be going to France now as I’d rather drive, and she said something like “the new boats aren’t everyone’s cup of tea” and said that Pont Aven still runs the route (it does but not on my dates).

The last trip was also a lot of money, and on balance now I’d rather drive through France since it’s not really a time saving to sail, and maybe take the 1 day sailing back from Spain.

Apparently BF have commissioned an electric boat too, so look forward to fares going up again to pay for it!

I agree

Whilst the new boats have some elements of better like TV in the cabins the food is no where near as good, the bar area is nowhere near as good and if you go from Portsmouth 2 nights out is a piss take

The Pont Aven from Plymouth to Santander is by far the better option for food, bar area and overall amenities plus speed of crossing.

The club Voyage membership is also now not as good as it used to get 10% off evening meal in the nice restaurant and the full breakfast in the same nice restaurant for a fiver

Sounds like its gone back to how it use to be. I always said it wasn’t worth doing, but that was when it was out of Plymouth. With an 8am sailing, so you had to go down the day before and stop overnight nearby, then two days and night on board, but you arrived in spain at 10pm so needed another hotel that night.
Nice easy ride from the Tunnel in 3days and nights into Spain. Just got back from such a trip, Left home 8.30am for the tunnel, first night Evreux, second night Marmonde, third night was just short of Valencia where we stayed for 4 nights. Mostly main roads, some bits of free autoroute where it made sense, no peage apart from the bit from Boulogne to Abbeville.
Mind you we had bloody aweful weather most of the way there and back this year. Although we did get 5 good days in Spain

Interesting.
There is a plan to do Pyrenees (possibly 2025), we used Plymouth - Stantander crossing this year for the Picos, but I wouldn't want to be stuck on the boat for two nights to Bilbao.
I'd sooner take an overnight Portsmouth - St. Malo crossing and be ready to get off the boat first thing in the morning, rested, and with breakfast in my tum. Then head for Rochefort, La Rochelle, or some other nearby town for another night, before reaching the Pyrenees the following evening. I would enjoy the ride and scenery, instead of being sat on the boat being bored to death.

Last edited:
Agree about the food, no where near as good as the Cap F or Pont A. I do like the two night crossing through, means I can leave home in the NE around lunch time, have a meal in Portsmouth before boarding. Then a few pints in the bar, prices seem ok to me, before bed. The day on board I just spend reading and enjoying a few glasses of wine during the day. Meal in the posh restaurant in the evening. On the second morning it’s off the ferry and away by 9:00am, stop somewhere around 10:00 for a late breakfast. Much easier than riding down through Northern France which always seems to be a slog in the rain.

I'd sooner take an overnight Plymouth - St. Malo crossing and be ready to get off the boat first thing in the morning, rested, and with breakfast in my tum. Then head for Rochefort, La Rochelle, or some other nearby town for another night, before reaching the Pyrenees the following evening. I would enjoy the ride and scenery, instead of being sat on the boat being bored to death.
Unfortunately the Ply-St Malo ferry has gone the way of the dodo, it's Pompey-St Malo only now :(

Unfortunately the Ply-St Malo ferry has gone the way of the dodo, it's Pompey-St Malo only now :(
Thank you for pointing it out. It was my mistake. I've rectified the cockup.

I wasn't a bit impressed with the new flagship Salamanca either, only food option outside official dining times was silly little tapas @ €5 a mouthful and then they ran out of Murphys, the stout option. I was expecting multiple choices for food, pizza etc. Seems like they're built to maximise vehicles and once your on FU!

Great post and spot on.

TD

We had one of the new ships on our return from Cherbourg to Pompey. Day crossing sailing at noonish, so we wanted a late lunch to sustain us for the ride home in the UK. The Big restaurant was not open and unlike the Pont Aven, Normandie etc there isn't a half decent canteen serving hot food like beef bourguignon or chicken chasseur like you had in school. Crap sandwiches at the bar or silly tapas bollocks.
As mentioned above, for a Breton French company, the catering is piss poor.

One benefit of the new ships is that you are not in the bilges on deck 2 like Pont Aven so get on and off pretty quickly in comparison. So not all bad. I'll stick to Plymouth though, outbound as the times are more civilised and just one night.

For me being so close to Portsmouth the late leaving time of the ferry it means two nights on it works in my favour.
Means I can do a whole days work then get on the ferry after work so I don’t have to take another days leave.

I came back from Spain on the Santona, and I agree about the food and drink options. I did think it was a quieter, smoother ship though.

I’ve been on the Pont Aven a few times . Cap Finistere once .
The Pont A is fine but a bit of a bun fight with 200 ish bikes . The Cap F was MUCH nicer . Only about 60 bikes , had a fab Club cabin and no buffet so only a la carte restaurant. Certainly nicer if a couple though the Pont A better for boys trips .
I’ll probably ride down and back in future .

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Thetwatcantalk

Thanks for the feedback, I’ve travelled on the Cap to Santander a couple of times and found it excellent. I won’t bother using the sea route again if these new ships aren’t up to scratch.

Thanks for the feedback, I’ve travelled on the Cap to Santander a couple of times and found it excellent. I won’t bother using the sea route again if these new ships aren’t up to scratch.
As a ship they’re fine. They just need to sort out the food.

I came back from Bilbao on the Salamanca last October, but had a Club cabin including lounge access which made the crossing more tolerable. It's well worth the premium IMHO.

I really don’t think I could do two nights in one of these...BA8D34F2-2262-418F-BCBA-60CF158CA660.jpeg

Lounge is nice but not worth the money imho, seats just outside the door to the lounge are just as comfortable and a decent bottle or two of wine can be purchased before boarding for a lot less than the lounge access where the wine isn’t of the highest quality. Coffee was very good either. Snacks ok but again just as easy to take your own.

Seems BF have a financial problem, with pandemic bail-out loans to service, along with the upcoming ETS cost concern, which might explain why service has deteriorated: -

........... https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/about/ceo-message

This is in addition to euros 45m from the French taxpayer, a cocktail of extra debt that may come to haunt them. The pandemic fell at a particularly awkward moment, given the new ship commitments, leaving me wondering whether the operation can survive in it's current form, despite the monopoly on routes.

There will also be EES & ETIAS to accommodate shortly, but these both seem likely to be pushed back into 2025, if rumours are correct.

Back
Top Bottom