'New' Roof Boxer illegal to ride with guard up

Fanum

Toubab
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Apparently the way the 'new' Roof Boxer helmet is tested for BS certification means that it's no longer legal to ride with the chin guard up :(

Apart from the fact that hardly any plod will know about it, it seems to make the idea of the Boxer design pretty much redundant :nenau

The guard is still as strong and well designed, but the lid is now tested and certified as a full face lid not an open face one.....

You can tell it's a new one BTW because it'll have a red rubber washer thingy in the guard's pivot mechanism (look for the red ring around the screw cap)

You'll also be able to tell because the new ones are radically different in sizing from the old ones......Olertone tipped me off about it after having drop a size to get the same fit, and I found exactly the same thing today trying them on....so don't mail order/ebay one until you've tried it on yer bonce ;)

Although this was subjective and only in the shop, the new one was really really quiet.....felt like I'd just put some good ear plugs in :thumb

My old one's got a red ring in the pivot jobbie.

(Stop it!)

'Old' is relative...they have been out a while with the new sized shells I think, but the way they're tested is new.

I seem to remember they changed the model number from 05 to 010???

There's some sort of BSI/CE coding on the back but I wasn't paying attention when the geezer was looking at it (blame the wobbly chested girl on the Duc Monster for that :rolleyes: )

who gives a toss what plod think,s ? :D you like it you wear it :thumb

motomartin said:
who gives a toss what plod think,s ? you like it you wear it

:thumb

Yeah ....It'll go great wiv the flashing brake light.

You may find that that's the case for all flip front helmets. Seem to remember someone up here recently getting a stern lecture for riding with his open. Apparently because they only test them with the front in the down position.

st247 said:
You may find that that's the case for all flip front helmets. Seem to remember someone up here recently getting a stern lecture for riding with his open. Apparently because they only test them with the front in the down position.

That was (and is) certainly the case with the Schuberth/BWM lids, but the Roof was certified as an open face helmet (whatever BSI mark that was ) so it was legal to ride with the guard up......now it seems they've only had it examined and certified as a full face though so it'd not legal to use open on the move.

It was the main reason I got my first Boxer when i was doing some courier work.....much better than a full face for the job ;)

I was once told this...

The first Roof (with the flimsy plastic flip front) was tested as an open face, so how you have the front when you're riding is up to you.

Most flip fronts (like my Nolan) are tested as full face helmets with the flip front locked down and should only be worn like that. I've been told that most flip front helmets would fail the open face tests and that's why you shouldn't ride with them open - they aren't up to the job unless they're locked down. Certainly my Nolan is really flimsy at the sides when unlocked.

One or two flip fronts (I believe the System helmet is one of them) are tested and certified as both, so can be worn as both, because they pass all the tests as both.

I'm no expert. Anyone know for sure?

I've got a friend with lovely lip scars and no front teeth caused by a crash in an open face helmet at just 40mph. You won't catch me riding without face protection.

Norm

nleader said:
One or two flip fronts (I believe the System helmet is one of them) are tested and certified as both, so can be worn as both, because they pass all the tests as both.
Norm
System 1 was never certified in the UK.

System 2 & 3 were certified as full-face because the chin-bar, when up, is too rigidly attached to sheer off in a collision and therefore risks serious neck injuries.

System 4 is certified as both because the chin-bar fixing allows it to sheer off when open.

Don't know about the System 5. How does the chin-bar attach?

Fanum said:
Apparently the way the 'new' Roof Boxer helmet is tested for BS certification means that it's no longer legal to ride with the chin guard up :(

Apart from the fact that hardly any plod will know about it, it seems to make the idea of the Boxer design pretty much redundant :nenau

The guard is still as strong and well designed, but the lid is now tested and certified as a full face lid not an open face one.....

You can tell it's a new one BTW because it'll have a red rubber washer thingy in the guard's pivot mechanism (look for the red ring around the screw cap)

You'll also be able to tell because the new ones are radically different in sizing from the old ones......Olertone tipped me off about it after having drop a size to get the same fit, and I found exactly the same thing today trying them on....so don't mail order/ebay one until you've tried it on yer bonce ;)

Although this was subjective and only in the shop, the new one was really really quiet.....felt like I'd just put some good ear plugs in :thumb

Is ilegal to ride with an open lift up helmet. 3 points and &30 quids.
Equivalent to ride without an helmet.

Yosi said:

Anyone know what happened to the bloke who won in the Mags' court on not wearing a lid in a C1 - did they appeal and win?

Yosi said:

I'd be interested to have your references for this assertion.

I've looked often for the law on this and have yet to find it in writing anywhere. Is this just a plod decision therefore? :nenau

Yosi said:

Are the ones the bike cops wear special then as I've seen them wearing them open while riding :nenau

I think it depends on the helmet as MikeP detailed :thumb

Whatton said:
Are the ones the bike cops wear special then as I've seen them wearing them open while riding :nenau

Roger,

We were instructed that they were not to be worn open while riding (Systems Two and Three). It still winds me up when I see a copper wearing one open while riding :spitfire (how can anyone do that and still issue 'fixers' to people not doing-up their chin-strap?)

Don't know about the Shoei that's being used in my old force now. :nenau

May have insurance issues.
In the event of an accident, if your pillion suffers a head injury whilst wearing said helmet in open position which you have provided, possible no 3rd party insurance payout.

Back
Top Bottom